Board Logo

VW powered air compressor
beelzebug - October 30th, 2006 at 08:12 AM

Ever have need of a good air compressor in your garage?

Check out this neat idea. VW powered air compressor.

http://www.dunnrightinc.com  src="images/smilies/dork.gif" border="0" alt=":dork:" title=":dork:" />

vwjon - October 30th, 2006 at 10:23 AM

erm.... i pasted the link in and got "young teens" does someone want to check the ling and either rectify the link or my computer. cheersjon

beelzebug - October 30th, 2006 at 10:28 AM

http://www.dunnrightinc.com 

vwjon - October 30th, 2006 at 12:29 PM

hey thats pretty damm good! doesnt say how much tho, wonder if you could do the same by removing the exhaust pushrod? then using the plug hole as an exhaust to fill your tank?
something to play with in the shed!

Matt Ryan - November 1st, 2006 at 07:08 AM

An old idea. Should still be plenty of similar compressors floating around second hand in Aus. There was a rat looking one at Valla from memory.

It used to be common to see vw industrial engines set up on trailers, driving gen sets, welders or compressors

Matt.

[ Edited on 31-10-2006 by Matt Ryan ]

barls - November 1st, 2006 at 07:28 AM

the old man still has one sitting at his workshop

shaihulud - November 1st, 2006 at 11:25 AM

Sometimes you may find that what you think is a VW engine in an industrial situation is really a Porsche Industrial Engine based on the 356 engine.

I remember seeing one in a shop window in Hay Street or Murray Street in Perth back in the mid 1960s.

I believe that they can be adapted to cars, but they have a hand crank and other missing bits that you need in a car.

It's worth checking the serial number to see what it really is.

68AutoBug - November 1st, 2006 at 11:40 AM

I have seen pics of Air Compressors using the VW engine and using two cylinders to pump the air into the tanks.....

but naturally the VW engine connected to a large air compressor would work great... too

same as the Generators used by the Armed forces...

they are made to be hand cranked to start...

but with a magneto , they usually start easy...

VW industrial engine...

[ Edited on 1-11-2006 by 68AutoBug ]

68AutoBug - November 1st, 2006 at 11:44 AM

I just looked at the Link...

Now that looks great....

Only problem these days, is You can buy an electric air compressor very cheap these days...

but if you didn't have any Power... WOW....

great idea...

Lee

Matt Ryan - November 1st, 2006 at 12:37 PM

A lot of the old Aussie ones weren't genuine industrial engines.(I just refer to them that way because they are being used in an industrial context).

Some compressors/welders/generator sets were made in factories for sale, (mostly using genuine industrial engines) some by businesses for their own company to use & a lot were home made.

It was pretty easy to knock up a compressor out of a second hand or reconditioned car engine and a scrounged up air tank. Some drove a compressor, some were the compressor because they fired off 2 opposing cylinders and pumped air into the tank via the non-firing cylinders.

I doubt if work cover etc. would be impressed with making your own one now, unless it was a certified kit that met Australian design standards.

Matt.

[ Edited on 1-11-2006 by Matt Ryan ]