Board Logo

Lowering a bay window kombi...
fekkinell - June 7th, 2006 at 05:35 PM

Yes... the moment Adam has been waiting for... i am seriously considering lowering my bus :P

Not to the ground, but definitely lower... main factors being cost (cos im now a poor arts student), and also how the hell do I do it?

Is it as simple as just getting different shocks or do i need to actually be responsible and do it properly?

Which begs more questions...

1. Wheels rubbing wheel arches?
2. Ride comfort?
3. Steering be heavier or easier or the same?
4. Can i handle sitting amongst traffic instead of towering over it? :P

Any advice would be great!

Thanx

pyr0 - June 7th, 2006 at 05:41 PM

you need an adjustable front beam, or weld in adjusters your self ;) depends on the width tyre you want but i run 205's all round and dont scrub, replace the shocks while youre there chances are the ones in your car at the moment are on there way out, they handle great and ride very smoothly :tu:

mines about 5-5.5 inches lower than stock

helbus - June 7th, 2006 at 08:24 PM

Keep in touch. In a few months (about 4) I WILL be lowering the Helbus about 3 inches. I have adjusters and adjustable bump stops to put in the front and will drop the back also. You are welcome to come over and watch while I do it over a weekend and see what is involved.

Hey if you help me, maybe we can do a tag team two kombi lowering job with many hands making lighter work?

I do have the equipment and welding experience to fit and weld in the adjusters properly.

empi - June 7th, 2006 at 08:34 PM

Bwhahahaqhahahahahha!!!! pick me pick me!!!! i know .... there are several ways .... call me 0400091856.

Ad

Bwhahahahahhahhahhahahahahahahhahaha:bounce hahahahahahah!!!!!

fekkinell - June 7th, 2006 at 10:05 PM

Hey Pete... that'd be awesome. I've always wanted to see what makes the Helbus tick :) ... It'd give me time to save a little $$$ for the bits n pieces aswell.

And Adam, i'll definitely give you a call sometime to talk about the options.

Like i said, i have no idea when it comes to this kinda thing... but i wanna learn hehe.

helbus - June 8th, 2006 at 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fekkinell
I've always wanted to see what makes the Helbus tick

Just look in the engine bay of a 94 Subaru Liberty :lol:

I am going the stage 1 option. of 2-3 inches

Stage 2 would include adjustable rear spring plates being over 3 inches drop.

Stage 3 would get more expensive with lowered stub axles involved.

look here

http://www.kruizinwagon.com.au/view_articles.asp?pxa=ve&pxs=58&id=20 

fekkinell - June 8th, 2006 at 10:51 PM

cool... awesome site... answered a lot of questions i had on my mind... one very large question i have is about the engineers report.

Does he just check what he's asked to check, or is he required to check the whole vehicle?... cos i honestly dont think my camper setup in the back would pass if thats the case.

helbus - June 8th, 2006 at 11:00 PM

They are the adjusters I am fitting.

In regards to engineers report. I have looked into this with the Helbus for the Suby motor, and have been through it with the stretch limo EH I built.

In Vic the engineer (VASS approved) will check all seating, seatbelts, suspension heights, wheels fitted, engine capacity, engine emissions if newer than 1972, trans type, diff type, brakes (fade test if large power increase). The actual roadworthy items that are within the regular scope of a roadworthy tester are not heavily scrutinised, however if they are blatantly obvoius, then attention will be drawn to them.

So in my case it still cost pretty much the same with the modified engine, alloy wheels, lowering, modified seats as it would if I only did one of those items. Currently in Vic the VASS engineers are usually charging $600-850

fekkinell - June 9th, 2006 at 04:36 PM

OUCHHHH!!!... thats gonna seriously set back my lowering plans then... I didn't realise it was so expensive. I might just have to get some better shocks until i can afford to do it properly :(

Vw nutter - June 11th, 2006 at 08:20 PM

Hey Pete, good to see your still on the forum, how have you been lately? i am also very keen on a lowering job too, what sorta dosh did your front beam adjusters cost you?and what sort are they(brand) i am kinda wanting to do a DIY lowering job like you are,soon too, let me know Pete
cheers
Jurion

warb - June 11th, 2006 at 09:52 PM

here is a cheap kit being dropped off...

should lower your bus a few inches...

http://www.setileague.org/vsa/vsa0206.jpg

Vw nutter - June 12th, 2006 at 02:46 PM

is it quick set??

fekkinell - June 12th, 2006 at 06:21 PM

hehehe... Squiff was riding a little lower today cos of all the furniture i had stacked in the back :D

helbus - June 12th, 2006 at 07:32 PM

Hey Jurion,

They are Indian Automotive adjusters.

Once the garage is finished I will weld them in and lower it. You are welcome to come round and give me a hand, and I will do a set for you too.

This is the website

http://www.kruizinwagon.com.au/ 

Peter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vw nutter
Hey Pete, good to see your still on the forum, how have you been lately? i am also very keen on a lowering job too, what sorta dosh did your front beam adjusters cost you?and what sort are they(brand) i am kinda wanting to do a DIY lowering job like you are,soon too, let me know Pete
cheers
Jurion

Vw nutter - June 13th, 2006 at 05:25 PM

Wicked as Peter, i cant wait!!! definately want to learn how to do it, nothing better than knowing how to do it your self i reackon.Just let me know when you are doin it so i can assit you in your "in the weeds project/helbus", should be a heap of fun i reackon. yeah i am just deciding on which adjusters to get, it really depends on which ones are the cheapest but obviously need to be quality and not crap!,

have looked at the creative enginering ones their $240 for a set, the indian ones are $275 set and the CBB ones are $200 set, so am leaning towards the CBB ones, does any one know much about their quality?etc? or should i spend the extra dosh and get indians? do all adjusters look the same? or are they all made and look different? obviously wanting to get ones that weld in, so i am assuming there would be some differences in brands etc? what do you think?

[ Edited on 13-6-2006 by Vw nutter ]

Vw nutter - June 17th, 2006 at 07:23 PM

oh yeah almost forgot, any one know how many splines to drop the back to get it even with the front?if the front gaurds will be say 1inch off the front tyres?, since i might need to get the rear wheel off incase of a flat?
cheers