Board Logo

60's RAT project
vwvic - October 25th, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Hi
Thought I'd get a thread started on this before it gets too far along
My wife and i got this 60 something 1300 deluxe bug a couple of weeks back.
We are making a rat out of it. Leaving the outside pretty much as is, Ill be putting a bit of paint over the bits of bog that are showing but am leaving the surface rust there.
Its very solid underneath, has had new pan half's welded in and the rust in the usual spots has been welded. Has all new brakes and lines.

vwvic - October 25th, 2012 at 10:42 PM

vwvic - October 25th, 2012 at 10:53 PM

It was very dusty inside as it had been sitting for a while.
The wife and I got a bit done last weekend, got the side trims back on and cleaned up under the front.
I put a new hose from the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder, put in new steering dampener and changed the headlights.

pete wood - October 26th, 2012 at 08:10 AM

What happened to the holes for the horn grills? And tell us about those lights you've put in. They look pretty interesting.

h - October 26th, 2012 at 08:15 AM

lights look like modded rossi's
look forward to the build pics ;)

5lam - October 26th, 2012 at 08:36 AM

Lights look like standard buckets with the lenses removed, and I'd say a sealed beam light in there

Pumba - October 26th, 2012 at 08:55 AM

Do you need a rear bar ???

vwvic - October 26th, 2012 at 09:30 PM

5lam has it right. They're standard lights with lenses removed and sealed beams.Has some custom backing plates holding the sealed beams in place, they're made from brass plate. There's one bolted to the standard bucket then there's a ring that goes over the back of the sealed beam to sandwich it in there. They look very old. I made some brackets to mount the grilles on.
Horn grilles were welded up by a previous owner at some stage for some reason, I'm thinking of cutting them back out
Thanks Pumba but I have a towlrail for the back.

vwvic - October 29th, 2012 at 09:43 PM

Got the steering column changed over to a collapsable one today for a bit more safety and the missus got one of the eagles polished up.

vwvic - November 22nd, 2012 at 10:15 PM

have got a little bit done in the last few weeks(been a bit busy with our new toy) . I took all the guards off and gave the insides a coat of rust guard.
Got all the studs locktighted in the drums.
Also dropped out the engine, changed the rubber manifold joiners, put a long case stud in for the dual port manifold to mount to, put on new fuel pump, new air filter, fixed up all the dodgy wiring and gave it a good clean. still got to paint that generator pulley.
I've been trying to get some welding done this week but the weather has been no good.

vwvic - November 22nd, 2012 at 10:16 PM

vwvic - November 22nd, 2012 at 10:18 PM

The new toy up the beach with the buggys

flatfourfan - November 28th, 2012 at 12:00 AM

wow............that place looks like loads of fun...............

vwvic - June 9th, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Hi there
It's been a while since I've done an update, was really busy at work for a while and had to move house. It's in a shed now so I've finally gotten back to work on it. Since
My last update I've weled up the rust in the rear right gutter, patched all the paint that need fixing,put all the guards back on, Ankor waxed it outside and lanolined all the underside, got the bumpers on, got all the lights on and wired up and I stripped down all the seats to the frames painted them, put on some new foam and fitted some new TMI covers.
I haven't taken a lot of pics but here's a couple I took the other night, not the clearest but I'll get some of it in the daylight this week and some of the seats.

OZ Towdster - June 10th, 2013 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vwvic

It looks like the engime bay seal is buggered and missing , best , you pull that motor back out and fit a new one or you'll have one very unhappy hot motor from all the recycling hot air comming up through the gaps that the seal , seals off

beetle_nut - June 10th, 2013 at 01:21 PM

What he said ^^^^^

vwvic - June 10th, 2013 at 07:26 PM

^^^thanks guys. I'll be dropping it back out to pull the tinware off and give it a new coat of paint so I'll put a new one in then, also got to make some blanking plates for the holes from the heater hoses.

vw40hp - June 11th, 2013 at 07:54 PM

How long do you think it will take you to get it on the road ?

vwvic - June 11th, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I'm hopinig to get it finnished in the next couple months. I want to get it done by spring time for some cruising.
I've still got to do the rest of the interior and get the seatbelts in, drop the motor out, take the front end out and get adjusters put in, sort out some front blinkers and there a couple of electrical gremlins that need sorting out.
Not too much to do but I'm pretty sure it will take me a few months as I don't get a lot of time to work on it.

vw40hp - June 12th, 2013 at 09:42 PM

HMMM Time. the hardest thing about a project time . I keep getting new projects instead of finishing one. oh well

vwvic - June 26th, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Here's a couple of pics of the interior. It's coming along nicely, I fitted some TMI seat covers on and got some second hand door and rear trims at the nationals. They were in pretty bad condition when I got them but after a lot if work I think they came up ok. The headliner was in it when we got it and is pretty good. Just got to put the carpet kit in and get the dash trim on.

vwvic - June 26th, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I also got the bonnet lock put on. Was a bit of a challenge, it has had a new front clip welded on at some stage. The main problem was the new clip was a left hand drive one so the cable came in from the wrong side, also the cable tube from the back of the dash had been cut off. I made a new one from an old bike brake cable.
It was a bit hard to line up too I had the latch and the back of the handle all the way to the end of their adjustment but it still wouldn't line up so put a slight bend in the front clip and it lined strait up.
Dunno if that's the best way to do it but it works now :smirk:

Also got a new engine seal :cool:

vw40hp - June 27th, 2013 at 09:57 PM

The trims came up sweet.

Abbeyborg - August 16th, 2013 at 02:37 PM

you have the same seats and door card as meee!

vwvic - August 22nd, 2013 at 09:31 PM

I took the engine out the other week to do the engine bay seal ,while I had it out I decided to pull it to bits and paint it. so engine bay seal done,engine still in pieces.
Also spent a couple of nights this week on the interior and got it finished

GottaSplit - August 22nd, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Sweet interior....TMI?

vwvic - August 23rd, 2013 at 09:52 PM

Yeah TMI seat covers, original door and rear trims.

vwvic - October 7th, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Engine nearly finished

rusty69 - October 8th, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Engine looks nice... Red accents tie in with the Interior... Like it a lot :)

vw40hp - October 8th, 2013 at 05:11 PM

Can't wait to see it at a pie run soon :tu: