Board Logo

Fish oil - how good is it over existing internal rust?
Purple Martin - April 27th, 2004 at 10:37 AM

I've got holes in a panel. Nasty rust. I think the whole inside of the panel is rusty - the external paint is probably all that's holding it together! If I squirt fish oil through the holes to cover it from the inside, will the fish oil stop the rust dead in it's tracks, or is that too much to ask?

This is not on a Volkswagen, so I don't care about it enough to cut it weld in new metal. I just want to cover the holes so I can get it past rego, and I'd like it to hold together for a few months as a daily driver (then the car will probably get sold for parts anyway).

5PL1TDCS10N - April 27th, 2004 at 12:31 PM

Hi PM,

Use some Rust Covertor first then bomb on the fishoilene...
Be prepared for the stink and flies too....

W

Purple Martin - April 27th, 2004 at 12:53 PM

Doesn't rust converter need rinsing off with heaps of water? That would be impossible to do on the inside of the panel through the rust holes.

Anthiron - April 27th, 2004 at 12:58 PM

the K+H rust converter i use doesnt need to be rinsed off

helbus - April 27th, 2004 at 03:34 PM

Rust converter like the K&H brand does not need to be washed off. It converts and coats the oxidised metal.

Metal prep like Deran-A or De-Oxidine are used on bare metal surfaces to clean, etch and phosphate coat the top layer of the metal. It does have to be washed off as the residue will corrode metal. This is often confused with rust converter.

Fish oil and body cavity wax are rust preventatives and do not stop or convert existing rust. It helps prevent moisture from creating more rust.

Hope that helps.

Purple Martin - April 28th, 2004 at 08:57 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info!

kroozzn63 - April 28th, 2004 at 08:59 AM

that answers my query too thanx

byronbus - April 28th, 2004 at 09:36 AM

Does fertan or ferropro need washing off? Does anyone know?

lil dub - May 13th, 2004 at 09:11 PM

i just sprayed the inside of my doors with fish oil.....HOLY SHIT IT STINKS!!!!!!!!

i mean, i have used fish oil before...i guess just never so close to my driving seat........but boy does it pong!!!!!! hahahah. oh well. all in the name of preventing more rust....

5PL1TDCS10N - May 13th, 2004 at 09:36 PM

Hi lil Dub,

Get a pac of soda bi-carb and spread it all over your carpet. It will absorb the smell and you can just vacume it up!(most of the smell anyway):P

Oasis - May 14th, 2004 at 01:19 AM

What about lanolin Hellbus? Do you use it in the place of fish oil? Have you used it and would you recommend it? Thanks in advance...

lexm - May 14th, 2004 at 01:28 PM

For treating existing rust check out penetrol. Paint additive available at Bunnings. Used straight penetrates and seals the rust, smells like paint, dries relatively quickly and can be painted over.
http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/penetrol_rust.htm 
[Edited on 14-5-2004 by lexm]

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by lexm]

68AutoBug - May 14th, 2004 at 05:48 PM

Lil Dub,
Did You use deodourised fish Oil??
Its not half as bad as it used to be in the 60's & 70s...
It was strong... and Good brands of fishoil these days also contains rust inhibitors....
It penetrates to where the rust starts, sealing and controlling rust with an enduring flexible coat. The low surface tension, combined with the slow drying characteristics of fish oil ensures rust protection even on bolt threads & other surfaces which would otherwise remain inaccessible.. [from the Power Plus spray can ]

I've been using it since 1962... Don't forget to fish oil under the bonnet and engine lid rubber seals... as most are rusted..
Under the windscreen & rear window rubbers...
Under the bonnet - down where the water that leaks from under the windscreen rubber goes....
as its drying, You can wipe it off, and after its dried , turps will get it off easily.. so You can spray it everywhere... without any problems...

Lee

Purple Martin - May 17th, 2004 at 09:02 AM

I decided to go with Penetrol, as it does everything I need:

It comes in a spray can with a long tube for reaching inside the panel.
It soaks into existing rust.
It prevents any further oxidation.
It can be painted over.

I used it on Saturday, and it went really well - I could tell that it was coating the entire inside of the panel.

68AutoBug - May 17th, 2004 at 09:37 AM

I coated My guards with fish oil, left them to dry and have since painted them..

Lee

sgetty - May 17th, 2004 at 01:30 PM

i didnt realise u could paint over fish oil because its an oil
deon

68AutoBug - May 17th, 2004 at 01:52 PM

It does dry though... a bit like a clear varnish only it can take a month or so to fully dry at this time of year.. only a few days in the summer... also depends on the brand of fish oil [probably depends on what additives [rust inhibitors] are in the fish oil]... I don't think I have ever painted it before...
the paint I used [with a brush] was Killrust enamel paint..
also the first time I have fish oiled under guards.. actually the guards were upside down so no fishoil could drip off them... so it would be thick in places...

Lee

extensiblecow - May 26th, 2004 at 10:30 PM

What happens, if you spray the fish oil, and then it rains ? Do you then have to dry the car, and respray again when the weather is clear ?

Also, can you wash your car after you spray fish oil - or have to walk a few weeks(?) in this time of the year for it to dry out first ?

[Edited on 26-5-04 by extensiblecow]

lexm - May 27th, 2004 at 01:10 PM

Killrust fishoilene.

http://www.wattyl.com.au/DIY/Products/ProductSearch/Product_Details.htm?Id=382 

Check a killrust colour card. used to say paint over with killrust metal primer.

Purple Martin - May 27th, 2004 at 01:57 PM

Can Killrust fishoilene be painted over?

lexm - May 27th, 2004 at 05:02 PM

Qoute from the old Wattyl (killrust) web site.

Description
Killrust Fishoilene a treated fish oil containing rust inhibitor, formulated to provide a protective coating for metal.
Recommended Uses
Killrust Fishoilene is suitable for direct application over rusted surfaces such as structural steel, gates, railings, welds and other metal surfaces around the home. It will penetrate rust scale and creep into crevices, along pipes, bolts, screws, rivets and other inaccessible places where corrosion is likely to be most active.

Preparation
Remove all loose rust scale, peeling flaking paint or other contaminants by wire brushing. Wash the surface thoroughly with mineral turps and allow to dry.

Application
Brushable: Apply liberally by brush, roller, spray or dipping, applying sufficent Killrust FISHOILENE to completely saturate the rust present.

Aerosol: Shake the can for a full minute before use and from time to time during use. Apply sufficent Killrust FISHOILENE to completely saturate the rust present. Keep the can about 25 cm from the surface at all times. Keep the spray moving to and fro with smooth strokes. Ensure the surface area has been completely coated.

Killrust FISHOILENE dries slowly, penetrating the rust and will gradually set to a pliable protective coating. Killrust FISHOILENE can be overcoated with Killrust METAL PRIMER and then Killrust SUPERIOR PROTECTION EPOXY ENAMEL.

Do not apply Killrust FISHOILENE to damp or wet surfaces.

Finish and Washability Finish Matt
Washability Not washable, must be overcoated.

General Data Flash Point 28°C
Recommended Film Thickness - per coat 20 microns (wet)
15 microns (dry)
Coverage Approximately 12 square metres per litre, depending upon texture and porosity of the surface and film thickness applied.
Clean Up Wash brushes and equipment with mineral turps.
Thinning No thinning required.
Drying Time Semi-drying only.
Recoat - 48 hours

68AutoBug - May 27th, 2004 at 05:48 PM

Yes You can wash Your car after using Fishoil...
Just don't apply it on damp or wet surfaces...

I always try not to wet the fish oil fora few days... which is possible in the country where it doesn't rain for months at a time...

Fish Oil just coats the rust and stops air etc from getting to it... No Air .. No more rust....

As I said before... I keep applying it every few months etc...
If I'm not applying fish oil, I'm painting something....
:):):):)

and fishoil can't hurt anything...
also.... You are not going to get a perfect finish if You fish oil then paint over it.... as fish oil isn't an undercoat etc that You can rub down to perfection... if there are runs etc... it will be under the paint.... Most Fish Oil dries like a clear Varnish....

It stops Rust... then why doesn't everyone use it....???
I can't believe people are still saying...
I have rust in My car... I'll have to get rid of it etc..
I'll have to get another door etc... as rust is coming thru...
at under $7 a pressure pack can of Power Plus fishoil at Big W... its the cheapest insurance against rust...

Lee

bus356 - May 27th, 2004 at 09:46 PM

word...

sgetty - May 27th, 2004 at 10:23 PM

interesting,
your right lee it never rains round here, it was dry around your way when i went through the other day witch happened to be race day so i couldnt get i pie from the bakery and was the day after a bucks night :puke

deon