Board Logo

swing alxe gearbox
Serious85 - June 5th, 2016 at 09:53 PM

Hey,
Are all swing axle gearboxes the same?
As in will a 60s swing axle box fit a 71 standard beetle that now has a 1600 engine?
Thank you.

bevoracing - June 6th, 2016 at 10:44 AM

I don’t know much about post 70’s standards but I believe it will fit. Like everything, they’re all exactly the same, except for the differences.
Presuming the 71 was a 12 volt, with a 12v starter, and the clutch throw out bearing was the later type sliding along a tube, then there will be differences.
Certainly there are some ratio changes over the years, particularly with the double jointed boxes, don’t know about the standards, but probably. It won’t matter much, but it won’t go as fast on the highway for a given engine speed.
Your clutch will not have the thrust plate in the middle of the pressure plate for the earlier “swinging” throw out bearing, you will probably need to change the pressure plate.
The starter bush will be for a 6 volt (larger shaft), you will need to put a 6 – 12V conversion bush in, but you were going to put a new bush in anyway.
The 12V flywheel will interfere with the bell housing. The housing will need some clearancing, if it hasn’t already been done.
I think the clutch cable arm on the box needs to be changed over, perhaps the cable, depending on which box it is?
Other than that I think it’ll go in, it’s not impossible by any means.
Type 3 boxes had longer axles, but will go in, check the length of the castings on the outer end of the axles. They can be swapped for the shorter ones to stay under the guards, but you can modify the larger type 3 brakes to go on the short axles, gives better brakes.
Change the wheel seals, input shaft seal & axle boots and oil of course. Check the gear shift input shaft (hockey stick). If it’s worn replace the nose cone & hockey stick with a new one (with the seal), that’s the easiest fix. Or use the one off the existing box if it’s OK.
Others may think of something else? Good luck with it, keep it on the road.
Cheers
Tony

Serious85 - June 8th, 2016 at 09:23 PM

So that's a no haha. I was having trouble finding info regarding the variations between gearboxes.

sander288 - June 8th, 2016 at 10:35 PM

The box will fit the motor and fit the car, and work.

Difference are between a later box and the early one principally are
- ratios
- post '68 has longer axles (short early ones will fit your car but it will bring the wheels in, and prevent the use of the Z-bar if that's connected)
- throw out bearing and guide tube

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/graphics/instructions/the-difference-in-transmissions-and-clutch.jpg

lightice - August 19th, 2016 at 01:10 AM

Here is some information that you may find useful.
http://www.vw-resource.com/transaxle.html 

REDKG - August 19th, 2016 at 11:32 AM

post 71 swing axle would be for the later 1300cc engine and have a lower 4.375 diff ratio than the 1600 (4.125)