Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 144881 | Total Replies: 60 | Thread Id: 20595 ]
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject:  BIG tyres under stock kombi guards (photos on page 2)
MemberKruizinKombi
A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Indifferent

nike.gif posted on March 24th, 2004 at 02:28 PM
BIG tyres under stock kombi guards (photos on page 2)

Ok, I have to repost this since the forum went down....

Finally, I've managed to fit some rear tyres that I'm happy with. The wheels are from a BA Falcon one-tonner, machined by Ian (aka Desert Bug) to suit the kombi 112mm stud pattern (Falcon PCD=114.3mm). The tyres are Pirelli Scorpion 235/85-16 LT's with an All-Terrain tread.

Results? I have about 12mm clearance to the inside lip of the rear guards, and 8mm clearance between the tyre and the spring plate. The rolling radius is now 384mm (compared to my previous 291mm!!!).

Theoretically this works out to around 4240rpm @ 100kmh in 3rd, and approx (in practice) 2900rpm @ 100kmh in 4th. In other words, I can rev to peak power (4200rpm) in third and then change into fourth and find myself at close to peak torque (2800rpm). I don't know if anyone had noticed, but stock kombis work this way anyway. The difference is, I'm now doing it at around 100kmh! :D

The purpose behind this is to gain footprint area (and hence flotation) when I'm on the beach this coming Xmas. I've done it on stock-sized tyres before, but they were less than ideal, requiring me to lower my tyre pressures radically (7psi) which resulted in two tyres coming off the bead. Hopefully I should be able to run these new tyres at around 12-15psi.

I'm also hoping to gain some fuel economy on the longer trips while I'm loping along at about 3000rpm instead of screaming along at about 4000rpm as I have been. Mileage tests are underway, I'll post results when I have some.

The downside of all this is that taller gears effect my take-off. The bus is noticably slower getting off the line, but still quite ok for around town. Fourth gear is now basically an overdrive; pretty useless for going up big hills, but I can also change down to third and maintain 110kmh, which I couldn't before.

The new drive ratio will be a problem for steep bush-work, where I have found the kombi's major limitation to be gearing (even with stock-sized tyres). I'm not really going to let this bother me, as I'd decided a year or so ago not to try to out-do 4x4's as I was suffering too much body damage anyway, and I don't think it will be a problem on the sand.

I did take the family out for a drive in the bush around Walhalla on the weekend, but not on anything really steep. I found the larger tyres ride considerably better over bumps and holes, and the additional 90mm clearance gives me some peace of mind also. Hopefully I won't be losing my tailpipe once I've replaced it! :)

Next on the wish list is some new front tyres, to be mounted on the other 3 wheels that are waiting for cashflow, followed by a custom rear bar with twin, swing-away wheel carriers and some better shockers to try to counteract some of the extra body roll I'm encountering. I have to keep reminding myself though, there's nothing wrong with having goals!!

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by KruizinKombi]

[ Edited on 2-11-2006 by KruizinKombi ]

Kruizin Kol
Membercrazyfiggi
A.k.a.: Alex
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 138

Mood: lost

posted on March 24th, 2004 at 04:26 PM

Those tyres are huge! have you lifted the rear suspention at all?
Alex.
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on March 24th, 2004 at 07:25 PM

Nope. That's the beauty of the wheels I bought from Ian: they fit straight under without modification, even with tyres this size! :D

Kruizin Kol
Super Moderatorkombi_kid
Super Moderator
Good Kid too many projects

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 341

posted on March 24th, 2004 at 08:31 PM

hey
sounds like what i want to do!!! what tyres you running just desert duelers?
cheers
rhys

it aint just cool its aircool'd
Membermodulus
A.k.a.: Peter Hill
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: modular

posted on March 24th, 2004 at 08:36 PM

Quote:

The tyres are Pirelli Scorpion 235/85-16 LT's with an All-Terrain tread.

Buggy Brad is riunning DDs on 16"s,
see:
http://www.aussiekombicampers.com/projects_bbw.shtml 

hth

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
MemberJay_1965vw
A.k.a.: Jay
Custom Title Time!
Chatting Babe

Threads: 102

Mood: Blissed out on parenthood... and tired...

posted on March 25th, 2004 at 12:27 PM
BLOODY HELL!

That is sooooooo extreme Kol...

:D LOL

Well done!

Part of Melbourne's Unreal Aircooled VW Community
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on March 26th, 2004 at 07:58 AM

Rhys, read the post:
Quote:

The tyres are Pirelli Scorpion 235/85-16 LT's with an All-Terrain tread.

Yeah modulus, Brad emailed me some pics of his wheels while the forum was down... I love his wheels, but the tyres just aren't big enough for my purposes. One of Brad's criteria when choosing tyres was that he would only run a single spare, so the tyres have to fit under the front as well. I'm running two spares, so I can afford to run a larger size tyre on the back. I wouldn't mind a set of those alloys when the $$$ are flowing though.

I dunno whether I'd call these extreme, because I haven't cut the guards, but these are the bigest tyres I've seen fitted to a stock kombi. :D:D:D

Kruizin Kol
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on March 26th, 2004 at 09:25 PM
mmmm

Two spares what a PITA that would be.. I see you have about 30mm more height / 60mm rolling diameter than I do with 215 x 65 x 16's

As for extreme, man they are only the same size as the front tyres on my buggy,:P:P

http://www.aussiekombicampers.com/images/projects/bbw_beforeafter.jpg

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
Super Moderatorkombi_kid
Super Moderator
Good Kid too many projects

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 341

posted on March 26th, 2004 at 09:41 PM

some panel damage u have to attend to there brad!!! nice wheels by the way are these the audi ones from dubs by the pub u were talkin about?
cheers
rhys

it aint just cool its aircool'd
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on March 28th, 2004 at 07:54 PM

Yeah Brad, two spares is a PITA, but I'll solve that eventually with twin swing-away spare carriers on a custom rear bar when I can afford it. That will also get the weight onto the back where I want it.

As for ground clearance, that was never my intention. The aim was to get the maximum contact patch possible without cutting the guards, and I think I've done that. They're not much bigger than yours, but they're still bigger! :P;)

Kruizin Kol
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on March 28th, 2004 at 08:54 PM

Make life easy if you have to get under and adjust the clutch.

MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on March 29th, 2004 at 08:47 AM

Yeah Pete, you're right!! Before these wheels I couldn't fit under the kombi on my creeper trolley, but now I slide right under!!! :D:D:D

These wheels were almost worth the effort for that alone! ;)

Kruizin Kol
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on March 29th, 2004 at 12:18 PM

Brad, according to the Tyre Size Calculator someone posted in Tech Talk, I've got 60mm more height in my tyres than yours.... (see pic) :P

I'm kinda curious, how much clearance do you get between your front tyres and the wheelarch lip? Did you cut anything?

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Kruizin Kol
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on April 17th, 2004 at 05:48 PM

I've now had a pair of 215/70-16 Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts fitted to the front on BA Falcon wheels again. While I'm not 100% happy with this size, they do level the kombi somewhat, and bring my speedo within 2% accuracy at 100kph. The best part is that they probably have 75-80% tread left on them and only cost me $30 fitted for the pair. They even fit two other tyres for me first and took them off again because they were too big (225/75-16 and 235/70-16). So far the whole effort for 6 wheels and 5 tyres has cost me only $480!!! :D:D:D

Next I need to get a replacement rear bar with twin swing-away spare carriers......

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by KruizinKombi]

Error

Kruizin Kol
Membermodulus
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on April 17th, 2004 at 09:59 PM

Well that's worked out well, and the Kombi's looking good. Amazing how inexpensive used tyres are, even with lots of tread left. By the way, your front bumper has fallen off, but I guess you would have noticed by now.

I was thinking about one of your earlier posts today, as I was sitting and comparing the wiring diagram of my Brad 'A' central locking kit with my Brand 'B' remote alarm/immobiliser. I think the instructions of one were translated from Korean by a machine, and the other from Chinese by a faulty machine. O well, after the smoke clears I'm sure it will work.

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on April 18th, 2004 at 08:39 AM

Yeah, I know the problem. I bought both my central locking kit and my alarm at Jaycar, but the wiring diagrams were a little sketchy about how to connect them up. Basically there is two wires to actuate the lock solenoids and two more on a master solenoid to tell the unit when the solenoid has been moved manually. You'll probably find an extra wire for the earth.

As for the bumper, I was in mid-polish when I took the photo and had just finished scrubbing under that front lip for about 40 minutes with a toothbrush! The whole nose section took me most of yesterday... :( I think it would be quicker to just rub it back and paint it!!

Kruizin Kol
MemberDesert Bug
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 72

Mood: NOW VERY HOT AND HUMID!!!

posted on April 18th, 2004 at 08:33 PM

Hi Col,

Good to see the Kombi with all the wheels on, Same tyres as on front of Desert Splitty at the moment, but have tried 205R16 Dueller HTs and they fit without touching.

Cheers, Ian.
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on April 18th, 2004 at 11:30 PM

Yeah Ian, I did consider that size after your U2U, but I'm trying to increase the contact patch for sand.... I'm actually aiming for a 235 width, in whatever profile will fit. I know this will have to be a tyre of smaller O.D.'s that the 205R16, but I'm not concerned about gaining height. In fact, I'd like to keep the tyres at exactly the same O.D. as the 215/70-16s I've just got, because today's little jaunt to Tarnagulla and back with the GPS installed has shown that these almost perfectly calibrate my speedo correctly - consevatively, +/- 2% :D

I've only just got home and haven't looked into it yet, but I'll be looking at 235/65-16s which will probably put me into a car tyre, but that's ok, because it will improve the handling (I hope).

On the topic of handling, it scares me a bit. My bus is noticably looser on the road, very twitchy in the wind. :o I'm going to lash out for a front-end alignment ASAP and see where to go from there. New shockers are definitely on the list, but a long way down it at the moment, unfortunately.

I've also noticed that my pads are down, but because of the extra tyre diameter, I want to make sure the brakes are top-rate, so hopefully they'll get a good going over shortly. If I ever get rich, I'd like some rear discs to fill those rear 16's and some vented discs for the front, but I'd have to keep exactly the right offset as these wheels, maybe +1/4" at most. Any ideas?

I've been flat out lately, but I hope to see some updates when I next get the chance to read your Desert Splitty thread. :)

Kruizin Kol
Membermodulus
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on April 19th, 2004 at 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KruizinKombi
On the topic of handling, it scares me a bit. My bus is noticably looser on the road, very twitchy in the wind.

Have a play with your tyre pressures. I'm running 40 psi in the front and 45 psi in the rear in LT tyres, and a lot of the usual twitchiness went away when I upped the pressures to these levels. Might be a bit too much for car-type tyres, but lots of the other variety thrive on higher pressures, and keep their walls nice and firm.

hth

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on April 19th, 2004 at 09:38 AM

Yeah Peter, I found the same thing. Initially when I only had the big rear tyres on with my 205/60-14s on the front, it was REALLY scary, even more so when towing, so I upped the pressure in the rears to 60psi (the tyre place had pumped them to 40psi, and I could see major movement in the sidewalls just with the kids moving in the back seat :o) and the handling improved noticably. At that stage the handling was still dodgy because the back end was up in the air and the nose was low.

Now the front is at what I consider to be an ideal height; I haven't measured the rake yet, but the front end is marginally lower than the front, if at all. The max. pressure for the fronts is 44psi, and I've got them inflated to 40psi, and the max. press. for the rears is 80psi but I've still got them at 60psi. I think 60psi is more than enough for something as light as the kombi. If I pump them any higher, I reckon I'd only be running on the centre 2" of the tread when the tyres balloon out, which isn't desirable. At 60psi the tyres are running on nearly the full width of the tread, so I shouldn't have trouble (as I have previously) with the edges of the tread going bald and leaving me with 60% tread along the centre.

I think I've gained as much benefit as is practical from playing with tyre pressures, and the rake is right, so I shouldn't be suffering handling problems caused by non-stock castor as I had with mis-matched wheels. Even though my tyres are smaller on the front, my kombi had begun to sag in the rear a little (possibly due to some of the loads I've carried in it!!) so it sits close to perfectly now.

I didn't do a wheel alignment when I put the tyres on, purely because of the time factor on the day. I'm hoping that there is improvement to be made here, and I know I definitely need new shockers. I'll get the alignment done shortly while I'm deciding what to do about the shocks. I'm considering using coil-overs on the front, set at the same height as now, so that I get a higher spring rate on compression, which may help handling (I hope) in the corners. In any case, new shockers will help as the current ones have been on the bus for three years, that I know of!

If I'm still having problems with handling after a wheel alignment and new shocks, I'll be looking more closely at wheel bearings, ball-joints, etc.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Kruizin Kol
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on April 21st, 2004 at 03:09 PM

Hmm.... Had the wheel alignment done today, but it was only 0.2mm out on toe-in, which I consider to be close enough - certainly not bad for a van that hasn't had an alignment in 3 years!!

I did find that my front tyres were not actually inflated to 40psi as intended, closer to 33-34psi which I fixed while at the tyre service. Rears were running 57psi, now set to 60. I don't think the drive home was really long enough to be any true indication, but I think the bus rode a bit better around roundabouts than before - the back didn't feel like it was trying to overtake the front! :D

Kruizin Kol
Memberbus914
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 233

Mood: Could be worse

posted on April 21st, 2004 at 07:14 PM

you could try firmer shocks for the front. i've got KYB (black, high[?] pressure gas). they lift the car about an inch, improve handling somewhat and completely stop nosedives. the ride is taut, but not kidney jarring. i don't know how they will go with LT's, but i will find out shortly.

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by bus914]

http://i59.tinypic.com/iykif9.jpghttp://i4.ytimg.com/vi/KOKlJpsfCyk/default.jpg Click the thumbnail for video:yes:
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

posted on April 21st, 2004 at 10:48 PM
mmmm

If you do go with a coil over shock, make sure you don't buy any of those imported crap chrome things. They are a bad shock and an even worse spring.

Custom Offroad do the best one I have found and they are forum sponsors to boot. They use a custom made coil and a heavy duty gas shock. Works very well and you know you have a quality product that will last .

http://www.manxclub.org/Brad/shock.jpg

http://www.manxclub.org/Brad/shockinbits.jpg

Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on April 22nd, 2004 at 07:09 PM

Any idea what they're worth Brad?

Kruizin Kol
MemberAndy42
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 47

Mood: 2.5t Subi Powered

posted on April 22nd, 2004 at 09:04 PM

$260pr for front and $290pr for rear but that is acording to their website so prices may vary.

MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

posted on April 22nd, 2004 at 09:27 PM

Andy is correct.

Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on April 23rd, 2004 at 03:47 PM

Cool, thanks guys. :)

Kruizin Kol
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on April 28th, 2004 at 09:04 AM
Update

I've actually managed to get the front tyres to scrape, if only marginally, on two occasions now. Both times were entering driveways while turning. It seems that the tread on the shoulders of the tyre are JUST touching the body seam at the rear of the wheelarch.

This could easily be remedied by folding the seam over, but I'm still not prepared (at this stage) to modify the body in any way. As it is, the problem doesn't concern me as it only occurs rarely and does not damage the tyre (that I can see).

Unfortunately, if I wish to fit anything larger than the current front tyres, I'll need to either modify the body, or find wheels of a different offset. The wheels I need will narrow the track, and I'm not sure as yet whether I want to go that way either..... :cry

Kruizin Kol
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 7th, 2004 at 12:22 PM

I've just picked up my kombi again; I've been driving the work van ('01 Mitsubishi Express :() around for the past couple of weeks, because the fuel is free and I can... :)

Driving the kombi again was like winning Tattslotto (how would I know?) and I had some time to kill at work today, so I thought I'd take some 'wank' shots just to satisfy my own curiosity about tyre clearances....

Error

Kruizin Kol
MemberKruizinKombi
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 7th, 2004 at 12:23 PM

and another....

Error

Kruizin Kol
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top