A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 09:12 PM

Yes, I agree...
that parts sold in the USA [their biggest market] already have their prices adjusted so the company doesn't go broke..

BUT when selling to Aussies they add 40% or whatever to the actual cost of the freight they actually pay..

BUT live in the USA and they can afford to post the parts very cheaply or even for free..

and not go broke...

SO... They ARE just over charging US...... for freight..

LEE

Quote:
Originally posted by psimitar
Hmm, I dunno. Some people just don't want to get the point.

Yes, overall you make a saving compared to buying in Oz.

Yes, companies need to make ends meet

And yes to all other comments relating to profit etc (altho, don't forget US people get paid a lot less to Oz people in general)

Anyhow, my main point is still valid and even factoring in company overheads do you honestly think 40% profit margin is accpetable?

Don't forget that if you got it sent locally to the 'forwarding' company it would cost a pittance in postage costs, yet they still have factored in packaging labour costs to parts prices, and then the forwarding company saves you 25-40% over the parts suppliers shipping costs.

Seems people here sem to like making excuses for poor company behaviour.

Hands up who thinks Donald Trump and his Apprentice TV show is an upstanding member of the human race, who wouldn't sell his own grandmother for cost of a steak and the show is a great advert for breeding morally outstanding people?

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 09:24 PM

I'm not sure about all this "rip off" stuff, I undersatand your beef is that in your belief the postage is too high, but if they quote a postage cost up front (as I understand it they do) then that is hardly a rip off, they give a cost at which they are prepared to supply the service, if you don't like it you have the freedom to take your business else where or arrange other postage / transport options at your own expense. I was once involved in a business where people would often challenge the price of our product and service, my reply was always along the line of "we have our costs, that is what we are prepared to do the job for, if you wish to use another supplier that is your privillage but that is our offer to you", quite often the potential customer would turn into a signed up customer, thats the way it works. It's only a "rip off" if you are offered something, you accept and pay and are then given something else of a lesser quality.
My 2c worth.

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 09:35 PM

Don, you have hit the nail on the head. Good post.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Memberragged
A.k.a.: David
Wolfsburg Wizard
Just ask if you need HELP!

No Avatar

Threads: 46

Mood: Medication seems to be working

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 11:16 PM

QUOTE "Anyhow, my main point is still valid and even factoring in company overheads do you honestly think 40% profit margin is acceptable"?

Yes, 40% profit margin is acceptable. i think you would die if you knew the mark up on retail goods.
Dave

PS good point Donn.
Memberwaltermitty
Custom Title Time!
Legend when my beer goggles are on

Threads: 268

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Hungry for mor

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by psimitar

Anyhow, my main point is still valid and even factoring in company overheads do you honestly think 40% profit margin is accpetable?

It s not valid , postage that's cheap and by USPS courier service is much more expensive than postage . Many US companies wont use USPS as they dont pick up . UPS etc do thats part of thr reason they cost more.
Bottom line do your sums suck it up and order or don't you choice.
I recon its very difficult to say you get ripped off if you make a informed choice.
Mitchell

23 windows ...8 too many!
Memberpsimitar
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 148

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on June 6th, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Seriously you guys love sticking up for someone making money.

So a forwarding service that still makes enough profit to stay in business is using the exact same courier and the same service for 40% less that the VW parts supplier and that's OK with you guys?

If people are stupid enough to think paying an over inflated price for a secondary service that has nothing to do with the primary service/parts you are paying for then bully for them.

I know the mark up over here is massive and is why I find somewhere more reasonably priced to buy what I want. I have no interest in giving my hard earned money to some punk trying to fleece me of my money.

As for USPS, well at least they have business centres open later in the day to allow companies todrop mail etc off on their way home, unlike here.

I used to drop the mail and parcels in the mailboxes on my way home after using our franking machine to weigh and print the correct postage cost for each item of mail. i would leave 10-15mins b4 everyone else so that I was paid to drop the postage off. This is also why many companies have a cut-off time in the arvo for making next or 2-3 day deliveries. So they have enough time to post the item or organise a late courier pick up.

So if you think being overcharged for a service is OK then enjoy wasting your money :D

madness is in the eye of the beholder :yes:
Member68AutoBug
Aircooled Master

posted on June 7th, 2013 at 01:07 AM

OK
to make many people on here feel at ease...

its NOT being ripped off... [by hidden charges]

JUST being overcharged by 40% to ship to Australia...

above the cost or price on the parcel..

even if they put it in BIG BLUE LETTERS

its still over charging... $$$$

DONN..
I am having to buy from 3 US companies to get what I want.. at the moment.. semi auto parts
and seeing $45 freight for one small seal before I add the other parts.. $$$$ isn't good...
$45 freight for a distributor or carburetor etc I can see is OK..
because of the weight..

Not ripping Us Off... OK... NOT SECRETIVE..
but all there in black and white
and taking money from Me for nothing.... $$$$
which I would rather use to buy something else...

cheers

LEE

Yes, that is correct Mitchell on why they use UPS instead of the USPS... but they are still OVER CHARGING US...
even when using UPS or FEDEX etc... Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberpsimitar

posted on June 7th, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Cheers Lee :D

Although in my dictionary being overcharged is being ripped off. :)

Memberkarmann141
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 47

posted on June 9th, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Have you seen Australia Post cost lately????

I hate to drag this argument out about UNREASONABLE cost of postage (or ripped off to some).

Postage or freight costs are totally irrelevant - forget what it costs to land it here. If you can get it landed at your doorstep for OS cheaper (usually very quickly) more cheaply than you can buy it here -THEN YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY TO BE SAVING MONEY.

1961 K Ghia - Porsche 5 sp, EJ20T, Brembo's, Dble A arm susp
1974 L Bug - Porsche 944 brakes, Boxster 16's
1974 Bay Camper - EJ20, twin radiators, Boxster 16x7's
Half Beetle trailer with Boxster 16x7's
2011 Tiguan TDI 4Motion
2010 LR Discovery 4 TDV
MemberLUFTMEISTER
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 119

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: BRISVEGAS in a state of flux

posted on June 9th, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Sheesh some people do not get his point.
If one US company can send a 1kg parcel to Australia for X amount of $ and Wolfburg West sends the same 1kg parcel for X + 40% (with the same shipping company ,dhl fedex etc) then yes, it is a shipping rip off. It has nothing to do with the quality of the items or time frame. It is just the supplier adding a unreasonable mark up (overseas only???) to the total cost of (priviledge) purchasing from him. My2c

Customer service is not dead in Australia.

Always after HAZET & MATRA & VW factory tools
MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Mood: Happy enough

posted on June 9th, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Wolfsburg West supply some good products. If the shipping cost is the only problem, all you need to do is go to their "Customer Service" section and send an email to the address provided. Point out [in a NICE way], that you would like to make a purchase, but the shipping rates seem high, and ask if there is a more economical rate. Worth a shot.

Never cut off your nose to spite your face.

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
MemberAA003
A.k.a.: Phill
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 39

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on June 9th, 2013 at 01:59 PM

Buy it from Mick Motors, Vintage Vee Dub Supplies, Wolfsburg Automotive, Volksbahn etc.

Simple.

I read it on samba, so it must be correct.

Sometimes Volkswagen dealers sell spare parts. Amazing isn't it!:lol:
MemberUber Kafer
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 50

Mood: Need a bigger shed..

posted on June 9th, 2013 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyDaze
Wolfsburg West supply some good products. If the shipping cost is the only problem, all you need to do is go to their "Customer Service" section and send an email to the address provided. Point out [in a NICE way], that you would like to make a purchase, but the shipping rates seem high, and ask if there is a more economical rate. Worth a shot.

Did that once after receiving one of their emails which went something like - "sorry the gouge-Australian-buyers-mode on our shipping calculator wasnt working, please provide the extra gold bullion to confirm the purchase". The emailed response from WW, in summary "take it or leave it".

If they had the integrity to provide the real FEDEX shipping charge on the parcel I wouldnt mind, but I know it aint gonna happen.
Memberpsimitar

posted on June 9th, 2013 at 06:29 PM

Thanks to those who get the point. Nice to see some people can understand a pretty simple concept :)

I did ask nicely about the shipping cost b4 me dad-in-law was meant to go to Dallas. I emailed a few times and got no response. So along with the sketchy way they describe and show no info on their shipping methods goes to show you the type of people who own the company. Such things should be all up front with any handling/packaging charge laid out alongside the shipping costs in your online invoice pre-purchase.

Oz Post isn't too bad on cost but try E-Go for your parcels in Oz. Oh but never say it's a car part as they charge extra for some reason.

As for most of the Oz VW suppliers I find they mainly stock Brazilian/Mexican parts and cost more than what I can buy n ship them from the UK. The quality parts they have in stock are even more expensive.

An old workmate was the neighbour to Pete who used to own Custom VW n helped pick up some parts once. When he paid he was amazed that the trade price was nearly 200% cheaper than if he'd bought the parts.

Maybe I'm too old skool and believe in a fair days work for a fair days pay. I don't agree with charging far more than the amount of work done is worth and since moving the Oz have found this to be abundant here.

Not that it bothers me cos I can do the work myself for free :D

Member68AutoBug
Aircooled Master

posted on June 9th, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyDaze

Never cut off your nose to spite your face.

I did this many years ago with CIP1
and they did post My parts by surface mail USPS
was cheap but took about 3 months to arrive... lol
but I was in no hurry.. lol

LEE

Member68AutoBug
Aircooled Master

posted on June 9th, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DakDak67
Quote:
Originally posted by Black64
Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
Well, I was just about to look at how much freight it would cost for a few things I need...???

I'll add WW to C1P1 for postage ripoffs..

it seems common in the USA for shops to charge for how long it takes them to actually post it...

as in Days... or weeks..

I'm told that freight/parcel post in the USA takes a very long time.. from one end of the usa to the other etc..
and now I see why..
if You want them to actually post it ASAP
[which is usually normal in Australia]

You Really PAY FOR IT.... looks like they charge per day??

cheers

Lee

I have to totally disagree with this

I have ordered loads of stuff from the USA and it usually arrives a lot quicker than the stuff I have ordered from interstate here, and they have it in stock??
Me too , usually on my door in 10 working days.

YES
that is correct because YOU Paid about 40% more than You should have...
that is what We are saying...
freight in USA is free from many shops
but they are really charging US much more than they should be...

We should still get it in a few days etc...
but NOT at the price they are charging

LEE

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top