Memberhrastovica
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 43

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Cruisin

question.gif posted on June 5th, 2013 at 07:19 AM
Registration issue.

Gday all

I'm helping a mate out who is in the process of restoring a two door MkII VW Golf, and has hit a brick wall as far as registering his car in Victoria.

He purchased the car a couple months back from SA, and after bringing it back to Melbourne, has found out that the cars VIN is not on any of the registration databases (im guessing its a UK import)

Is there a way to go about registering this in Vic?

If not

Is it possible to register this interstate? In this case he would transfer the rego back to Victoria.
Memberragged
A.k.a.: David
Wolfsburg Wizard
Just ask if you need HELP!

No Avatar

Threads: 46

Mood: Medication seems to be working

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 01:05 PM

I'm not sure how it works in Vic but it should not be a problem here in SA. Do you have any paper work from the seller? Don't expect the rego office to tell you how to do it though!
Cheers Dave
Memberhrastovica

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ragged
I'm not sure how it works in Vic but it should not be a problem here in SA. Do you have any paper work from the seller? Don't expect the rego office to tell you how to do it though!
Cheers Dave
Cool will look into this. Thanks!
MemberAA003
A.k.a.: Phill
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 39

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 04:07 PM

2 door Mk2 Golfs were never sold in Australia.

Was it ever registered in SA?

If it wasn't, it may be a problem in any state. Even if it was registered in SA it may not be able to be registered in other states.

I read it on samba, so it must be correct.

Sometimes Volkswagen dealers sell spare parts. Amazing isn't it!:lol:
Memberhrastovica

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AA003
2 door Mk2 Golfs were never sold in Australia.

Was it ever registered in SA?

If it wasn't, it may be a problem in any state. Even if it was registered in SA it may not be able to be registered in other states.
That was my concern.

I just found at the car was imported from UK some time ago. It seems to be taking some time to get more info on the car.
MemberCanni.
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 29

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 09:20 PM

If its an import then to register you'll need the vehicle import approval (if it has never been registered before)...if the seller doesn't have it you can contact the Department of Infrastructure and Transport to get a copy of it. Depending on the year to get full registration he'll then either need to get a VASS certificate (engineers and they put an import plate on the car) plus you need a roadworthy to get full registration.

I'm not sure if you go with club plates whether you can get away without the VASS certificate? Anyone know?

Hopefully it has been registered before! Maybe someone else can chip in on whether it is easier to get an imported car registered in SA or NSW but I'm imagining they all have similar requirements.

Heidi - 1960 White Beetle
'65 Kiwi Ghia
Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 09:34 PM

I reckon SA will be easier than NSW, I bought a writen off vehicle in SA and all my enquiries showed that it wasn't going to get a look in in NSW so I got it reegistered in SA (thanks to a lot of help from Dave) and then swaped it to NSW rego, yeah not quite the same situation but I'd bet that the brick walls in NSW would be simmilar.

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
Memberhrastovica

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Canni.
If its an import then to register you'll need the vehicle import approval (if it has never been registered before)...if the seller doesn't have it you can contact the Department of Infrastructure and Transport to get a copy of it. Depending on the year to get full registration he'll then either need to get a VASS certificate (engineers and they put an import plate on the car) plus you need a roadworthy to get full registration.

I'm not sure if you go with club plates whether you can get away without the VASS certificate? Anyone know?

Hopefully it has been registered before! Maybe someone else can chip in on whether it is easier to get an imported car registered in SA or NSW but I'm imagining they all have similar requirements.
Thats the problem the car has never been registered in Oz... its a real pain.
Memberhrastovica

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by donn
I reckon SA will be easier than NSW, I bought a writen off vehicle in SA and all my enquiries showed that it wasn't going to get a look in in NSW so I got it reegistered in SA (thanks to a lot of help from Dave) and then swaped it to NSW rego, yeah not quite the same situation but I'd bet that the brick walls in NSW would be simmilar.
Ye VIC isnt any better.
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Yep Canni is on the ball. We do imports at work, and the VIA from the DOIT is the key. If you dont have one, contact them to get one. You may need the VASS report costing about $800. Then it is all legal and yours.

Quote:

Memberhrastovica

posted on June 5th, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by helbus
Yep Canni is on the ball. We do imports at work, and the VIA from the DOIT is the key. If you dont have one, contact them to get one. You may need the VASS report costing about $800. Then it is all legal and yours.

Quote:

Sweet, thanks for your help!
Memberhrastovica

posted on June 7th, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Good news!

The Department of Infrastructure & Transport (also known as DOTARS) have sent all the import papers (usually takes around 2 weeks).

Here is a link for future reference...
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/

Go To Top