Author: Subject:  Teardrop campers
Memberbinner
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 210

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: want more grunt

posted on November 17th, 2014 at 09:51 PM
Teardrop campers

Has anybody on here built their own teardrop?..... If anyone has I have a few questions

Was it worth it
Is it practical for weekend getaways
How do they tow
Did you build from scratch and your own design or use plans
What did you use for suspension
What materials did you use
Etc....

I'm seriously thinking about selling my dual cab to fund a pop top project or just build my own teardrop my way and tow behind the duallie, the use will be for long weekends at the most, this isn't for weekl long holidays or beach use, just weekend getaways to campsites

CHEERS,
IAN

Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on November 17th, 2014 at 09:58 PM

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=94958#pid882950 

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on November 17th, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I know of a guy at work that built one from plans and parts, and loves the end result, however he has found it difficult and costly. He estimates it owes him $6000, not including his own time.

Member68BUS
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 19

Mood: Berwildered

posted on November 18th, 2014 at 06:00 AM

If you want some inspiration these guys have a brilliant hinge slider system.
Would be great to replicate.
http://www.thegidget.com.au/ 

1966 Aussie 11 Window
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 71

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: good

posted on November 18th, 2014 at 06:11 AM

Like all projects cost and time will depend on your skill level and the ability to find suitable material cheaply, posted is a CD with planes and photos, check with you state rego authority about the build requirements for the trailer chassis, you can get trailing arm or leaf spring suspension. they would tow just like any good trailer.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tear-Drop-Trailer-Pop-Up-Plans-75-Plans-plus-1400-...
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: happy all the time

posted on November 18th, 2014 at 05:23 PM

There is a couple of blokes in taree area building teardrops for sale,they look great unfortunately i can't find their brochure but I would think they should be able to be googled if you want more info.
Memberbinner
Fahrvergnugen

posted on November 18th, 2014 at 08:07 PM

Hey fellas,gals....

Thanks for all the info , I just scaled out the size on my carport floor and have done some more research, I'm pretty keen now to build.

If any of you followed my dc build thread I'm pretty fucking good at restos and building :smilegrin: so Im going to give it a red hot go, got some good ideas from the info you guys gave me so I'm going to pool it all together and build to my specs.......
Keep an eye out for a new thread ..... :smilegrin:

Membertweety
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 68

posted on November 19th, 2014 at 09:10 PM

Hi guys, thought I'd replyBizzarre regardless that you have decided to builf your own.

I've considered building my own teardrop also. Lets look at some negatives about them first.

You cant get dressed inside the van unless you get dressed lying down. Fixed with an annex or shower tent. so factor that cost and plan in.

The best feature of the teardrop is areodynamics. But that wont help much behind a dual cab or Kombi. Teardrops weigh a lot for how large they are. The lightest is a "little boy" and that is around 320 kgms tare. And its too small. Cooking at the back lift up lid is open to the elements unless you design an awning. The Gidget is a nice concept with its sliding cabin to enlarge the living space but you are still only lying down and they arent cheap. And likely not easy to make.

The positives are there though. You can make one yourself. They can have a large bed area. TV and radio can be mounted above you on a cross member at the top of the kitchette area. You can have a water tank at the back underneath as the teardrops are often front heavy.

Use light materials. Multipanel isnt cheap but it can be drilled, moulded, waterproof etc http://www.multipanel.com.au 

My recommendations: Make sure you have a triple drawbar, two from the front of the leaf springs and one centre one through the middle. Forget one large drawbar only....mine broke completely off my small van and lucky insurance covered it. . Make the drawbar 400mm longer than normal. This will allow for a good sized trunk on the drawbar that can hold items like a porta potti and fridge, locked away. Under the floor via a hatch install a dry call battery. We have a 28 A/h only but it runs our Waeco fridge for 2 days (turned off overnight). The battery is charged prior to any w/end away with the car but on our trike we have a solonoid system so it can charge up when driving. This means that the trike battery runs down adding additional power until about 11.5 volts is reached then shuts off allowing for starting of the trike easy still. Worth it. We ahte buying ice.

So we initially had an "outback camper trailer" purchased for around $5000 new. It was ok and weighed around 340kgms tare. However we werent happy with the restriction in getting to the cargo under the bed. Then we bought a ChevronRV "Guppy" van. Very small caravan weighing 460kgms tare. A little clostrophobic and too heavy for our trike. Finally January this year we made the best decision ever to purchase a Detour camper trailer. This was after mcuh investigation as some camper trailers are pure hell to put up.. Remember legally I can only tow 300kgms GVM with our trike. The Detour weighs 185kgms tare (with the longer drawbar), has- lift up bed for great access, tailgate for even more access, queen bed and takes 2 minutes to set up (not including annex). The poly trunk on the drawbar fits the porta potti and CF17 Waeco fridge (this fridge is highly recommended). We have a shower tent, 20 litre water container on the rear tailgate. Tows as if it wasnt there. And has brakes. This is actually a motorcycle camper trailer so is very compact. Detour have a video on how fast it is erected.

http://detourcampers.com/motorcycle.htm  Cost aunder 7 grand. plus annex.

Back on your teardrop Binner. Standard caravan water tanks are 55 litre and cheap at $70. Mount it under the floor at the back next to dry cell battery.. Pumps arent needed, have a plastic tap potruding out the back at the kitchen. We make do with a single gas element stove with pressure pack gas. Steamer for vegies. Toast mesh type grill. Square bucket for dishes, All saves room for shoes and other stuff. Centre drawbar carries electric wiring. Dolly wheel is essential. Height of teardrop should be 190cm or more to allow for awning height if awning is to be attached to side of van. You might need good vent on the roof, they get hot during the day. There are some nice cheap chrome 12 volt fans around. Wire in several 12 volt sockets and fuse block. I think you can get flexible solar panels now for your roof if so inclined to help with that battery. Tow bar lock needed. Spare wheel? Well not if weight and room is an issue. Pressure pack puncture stuff is good.

End of rant. tony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXwh4z8d66o 
SUBARU ea81, VW auto, Detour camper
My ex girlfriend said "its me or a trike". Her big mistake.
Member68BUS
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 19

Mood: Berwildered

posted on November 20th, 2014 at 08:37 AM

Thats great info Tony.

1966 Aussie 11 Window
Memberbinner
Fahrvergnugen

posted on November 28th, 2014 at 08:03 PM

Hey Tony, the rant was good!.....the build for me is at the most 3 nites away and most of the time in a camp ground, summer time in and around the SEQ so weather is not a problem. I was already thinking about an awning and such for hot days and the odd bit of rain.
I have even sketched up a module to slip on the back of the ute but I don't think it would look "cool" and be as functional as a teardrop so I'm going pursue the teardrop.....
The trailer is based on a 7x5 with brakes and I'm going to try and build as light but strong as possible ...
12 v 45 ltr fridge
Simple 2 burner gas stove
85 ltr water tank with 12 v pump
A few led strip lights for nit time
Stereo and a bunch of USB ports
Solar panels on roof and a fold up panel
A couple of AGM deep cycle batts
And I'm sure a few things that pop in my head........

Membertweety
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 68

posted on November 29th, 2014 at 09:43 PM

Good stuff.

For the lightest trailer frame google easytrailers. 7x5ft available in kit form. I'd go 8x5ft as it has a stronger double drawbar frame. also at easytrailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXwh4z8d66o 
SUBARU ea81, VW auto, Detour camper
My ex girlfriend said "its me or a trike". Her big mistake.

Go To Top