Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1226 | Total Replies: 14 | Thread Id: 109869 ]
Author: Subject:  Bulkhead vs Framehead (Beetle)
MemberGaston
Casual Dubber

Threads: 5

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 04:31 PM
Bulkhead vs Framehead (Beetle)

Hello everyone,

If this question has already been answered just point me in the right direction and I'll be on my way. After failed attempts of trawling through the web I decided to hop onto a forum to try and get some more promising results.

So, my query is this. I am looking into buying a beetle and am just wondering what the bulkhead and framehead are exactly (pictures would be greatly appreciated), and how they fit into a VW beetle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead in advance,
Gaston.

I hand out apologies like beating-red apples... Since trees can only bear fruit if it's root is planted in the soil of sincerity.
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 05:03 PM

Welcome along, I think they are the same thing just different way of saying the same thing, the frame head is at the head of the chassis, just search Beetle frame head in Google. They don't often need to be replaced unless the chassis has serious rust or has had a crash
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 05:07 PM

ps bulk head could also be the firewall between the motor and inside of car or front suspension and inside the car, where are you seeing the these things written?
MemberGaston
Casual Dubber

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 06:30 PM

Hey steve,

Firstly thanks for your replying to my question. I now understand what the frame head (and consequently bulk head) is now, if they are the same thing.

Where I first saw "bulk head" written, which threw me off course, was in an article by John S. Henry here:
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqbyng.htm 

To save you trawling through it here is the part where it is written:
"The "Solid" Beetle- Assessing the BODY

First and foremost, I look for rust in the "doomsday" places:
The heater channels
The front bulkhead area
The lower A-Pillar area."

I understand what and where to find the heater channels, learning (slowly) about this elusive "front bulkhead area" and will move onto next, which should be the easiest, the A-pillar.

Thanks,
Gaston.

I hand out apologies like beating-red apples... Since trees can only bear fruit if it's root is planted in the soil of sincerity.
Member59baja
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Sombre if not Moody

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 06:53 PM

Maybe the section above the area known as the Napoleans hat, i have seen a few rusty ones and there is replacement metal for them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/crazyjose/nice-alignment_zpsj08ubfn4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/crazyjose/interior-alignment_zpsnvq4mlse.jpg
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 06:59 PM

I reckon 59baja nailed it. Gaston what sort of VW are you looking for, some overseas websites can lead you astray
MemberGaston
Casual Dubber

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 08:21 PM

May I firstly just take the time to thank you both for replying (and thus consequently aiding me in my newly-found "educative" endeavour). It always warms my heart when people give up their time, even if it is for me, to help someone out, so thank you both for doing so.

Nevertheless, I take it the "Napoleon hat" is the red metal "hat" thing in the pictures (a quick "google" reaffirmed my suspicions). I like the fact that it is called a hat and will endeavor to ensure that whichever car I eventually buy has a lovely hat to wear as it tears down the highway. So thank you 59baja.

In reply to your question Steve, I don't have an eye out on anything yet. I am not really interested in the any of the older bugs, and so will leave them for the die-hard enthusiasts to fight over in their spare time. I'll most probably go for a '70's or later, or even a Super would be fine. Haven't started looking yet since I'm still deciding what to do. Nevertheless, Muir arrived yesterday and I hope to have that finished soon, so at least that's a tentative step towards finally having a Bug parked in the driveway, with a nice hat on hopefully.

Thanks for all your help,
Gaston.

Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 09:03 PM

Love your sense of humour Gaston. If you do put a hat on your bug, you could call it 'Lee' (Kernigan), and maybe play 'Hat town' on the stereo.

Out of interest, where abouts are you? It will make it easier to let you know about bugs closer to where you are.

From your ole' mate Jeff
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 09:14 PM

Theres good looking semi auto for sale on here, so Gatson fill in your profile it does help
Memberadlbeetle66
A.k.a.: Denver
Custom Title Time!
Under the car.........again!

Threads: 98

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: ICH BIN VW NUSS

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 09:55 PM

FYI, we had a 76 flat screen bug - its was black with red bits on it. We called it 'Gaston' - named after the same show that your profile picture comes from ! :lol: :cool:
MemberGaston
Casual Dubber

posted on September 27th, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Beetleboyjeff, if I do that, let's hope he doesn't make a song called "Pass my hat"... Because then I'll be in trouble.

As for you Steve, I think I'll be more inclined on buying a manual than an auto, but thanks for that. I've filled in my profile also, so thanks for cajoling me to do so, since it would help me in the long run.

As for you adlbeetle66, I'm elated you got my reference. I just adore that little lady bird and how he growls and barks (much like all the other ones).

On a final note may I just say thank you. You've all been so kind, helping and welcoming. Your compliments lift my spirit and are always eager (as far as I've seen) to aid that "learner dubber". So enjoy my signature (I think it should work...), since there will be a lot more apples coming your way.

MemberGaston
Casual Dubber

posted on September 28th, 2015 at 12:20 AM

Signature once I get it working: I hand out apologies like heart-red apples... Since trees can only bear fruit if it's root is planted in the soil of sincerity.

Memberpsimitar
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 148

posted on September 28th, 2015 at 07:07 PM

The bulkhead is what is commonly referred to as the section of bodyshell that sits ontop of the floorpans nelson hat. As pictured above.

The framehead is the front section of the floorpan that the front beam suspension bolts too. Hopefully linked here Beetle framehead
[img]http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAkQjRwwAGoVChMI_czfp7CZyAIVQT2UCh15ogVp&url=http %3A%2F%2Fwww.volksworld.com%2Fblog%2Fstaff-blogs%2Fjames-blog%2Fproject-66-the-welding-continues-10918&psig=AFQjCNENzQk1xOMejSp0PtF0M3S_KeVmJw& ;ust=1443517617486596[/img]

madness is in the eye of the beholder :yes:
MemberGaston
Casual Dubber

posted on September 28th, 2015 at 07:15 PM

Hey psimitar,

I tracked down the blog I think you got the picture from here (by using certain words from your link:
http://www.volksworld.com/blog/staff-blogs/james-blog/project-66-the-welding-...

From there I was able to determine what was what, from your description and from the above "hat". Thanks for further clarifying that and I wish you all the best,
Gaston.

Memberpsimitar
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 148

posted on September 30th, 2015 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaston
Hey psimitar,

I tracked down the blog I think you got the picture from here (by using certain words from your link:
http://www.volksworld.com/blog/staff-blogs/james-blog/project-66-the-welding-...

From there I was able to determine what was what, from your description and from the above "hat". Thanks for further clarifying that and I wish you all the best,
Gaston.

Sorry I didn't spot the link hadn't worked properly but glad you figured it out :)

madness is in the eye of the beholder :yes:

Go To Top