Author: Subject: Oil pressure down.
MemberNitram_Ztilad
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 17

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 12th, 2004 at 10:01 AM
Oil pressure down.

My '74 2.0l Kombi had a few problems, so I've pulled the motor out for a bit of a look around. There was a burnt exhaust valve which was expected, and the oil leaks seem to be coming from the dipstick bellows, but what I'm not sure about is the low oil pressure.
The light used to come on when braking on downhill slopes, if the oil wasn't really topped up. I figured that the mains or big ends were shot, but now that I've got it apart, I can't find anything wrong with it. Even the shells on the camshaft look perfect.
I've read John Muir's section on the bypass valves, and I'll try to get that big screw out tonight to see if that's the problem, but if it's not, then where do I start looking ? I havn't pulled the oil pump apart, but do they ever give problems anyway ?
It would give me the miseries big time if I put it together again and it still had oil pressure problems.
Any ideas ?
Thanks,
Nitram
MemberAdrianH
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 20

Mood: rebuilding again

posted on October 12th, 2004 at 05:08 PM

Maybe your oil light sender is knackered and grounding somehow ??
MemberNitram_Ztilad
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 17

posted on October 12th, 2004 at 05:10 PM

I don't think so, because it seems related to revs. If you rev it up a bit the oil light goes out. Has anyone ever had any probs with oil pumps, or are they usually pretty bulletproof ?
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on October 12th, 2004 at 05:15 PM

Ive seen problems in similar designs in hydraulic system but not in vws. wear in the pump was the cause

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Memberlugnuts
A.k.a.: Mike
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 88

Mood: semi-retiring

posted on October 13th, 2004 at 03:40 AM

Hey Nitram hows it goin dude,its a bit late for this BUT http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/qa_lowerendck.htm  ;)
Memberkombikim
A.k.a.: Kim
Custom Title Time!
disfunctionally capable

Threads: 84

Mood: always bleary

posted on October 13th, 2004 at 08:23 AM

our kombi had this problem when we bought it, unbelievably the oil pressure relief valve had been assembled wrong ie
somebody put spring in first, then piston , then screw in plug!!
doubt if it is the same cause in your case, but worth me posting anyway

Please, I need drivers side window regulator (winder mechanism) for my '54 http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/Kombikim/avatar1.jpg
MemberAndy
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Andy's Adventures

Threads: 181

Mood: Happy Man

posted on October 13th, 2004 at 09:47 AM

What was your oil temp? Oil weight? What was the oil pressure?
On my old motor (2L) the oil light would flicker on/off with the motor at idle (~700rpm) once the oil was over ~120C. Keeping the revs up kept the oil light off.
The oil light can come on with oil surging in the sump, but I have mainly seen it when cornering, not braking.

Now you have cheacked the bearings and end play are to spec, and you are checking the relief is good, so some ther things to consider, a blockage in the oil filter or cooler (is it still a stock setup?) will drop pressure at the pressure switch.
There is an o'ring between the suction tube and the case which can cause the pump to suck air if it's perished (can only check with the case split), Also check the welds in that steel tube for cracks. The oil pump needs to be a very neat fit in the case for a similar reason, and confirm the oil galleries line up correctly. Oh, I assume the strainer is clean and in good nic also.
The pumps do wear, but all the type 4 pumps I have removed all appear servicable. You need to check the length of the gear compared with the width of the housing.
Also check the little things like the cam followers etc. Excess wear in them will cause leakage from the oil pressure gallery.

If all checks out OK, you can buy larger pumps. Stock is 24mm gears. Schadec make nice aluminium pumps with 26, or 30mm gears.

Richard

Go To Top