Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject:  Registered!
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 49

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 25th, 2006 at 10:29 AM

Thanks guys,

Fitted up the boot latch etc on the weekend. All works well, it just doesn't sit completely to my liking, but functions all the same.

Over the last couple of nights I removed the front beam and I am taking it over to get adjusters installed! It is one major pain in the backside taking it out for the second time!

While it is out I am planning on swapping out the brake master cylinder with a dual I got from the Gold Coast swap meet. It was spotted by 063dub, so a big thank you for the heads up. I am going discs all round so this is a must have.

Also need to put the new bush in for the gear selector.

Once all the front is sorted out I will move on to the back and set the ride height and install the camber compenstator that I have picked up. So in a couple of weeks she should be sitting alot lower to the tarmac with discs all round!

Once the ride height is sorted it is on to the wiring, final fitting of the guards, seats, steering wheel and boss, semi cage, door mechanisms and lastly the engine.....still a heck of a lot to do!

Will update with some pics later.

cheer,

Matt.

[ Edited on 30-1-2006 by MattY-64 ]

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on March 8th, 2006 at 01:04 PM

Hi all,

It has been a while since I have updated this. Should get the beam back this week and then it is full steam ahead.

Been away on work and lack of funds (happens when you get married!) so progress is slow at the moment. Once the beam comes back I will reinstall with front discs, install front guards and lights, still working out the master cylinder for final brake bleed etc. Then it is on to the rear ride height and disc installation.

So as usual lots ahead of me.

Will keep updated with pics.

Cheers,

Matt.
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on April 4th, 2006 at 09:08 AM

Ok had some time to work on the old girl, got the front end installed along with the daul brake master, etc. Front disc are on and the ride height is as low as the adjustable beam will let it go.

Working on the rear now, and I may have to go back and have a second look at the front (in the pics I have taken there looks to be massive + camber which is not what I want so may have to go back and redo the shims!).

Having some difficulties with the rear discs so will work on the ride height first.....

Anyways here are some new pics finally.

Matt.

Error
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on April 4th, 2006 at 09:10 AM

And one from the front.....

Error
MemberColumBUS
A.k.a.: The Liquid Chef
Wolfsburg Elder
Hail To The Bus Driver!

Threads: 164

Mood: Euro - Trashed

posted on April 4th, 2006 at 10:22 AM

looks like we have another pretty blue bug on our hands!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/kroozinkikko/fishsigfinalsmall.jpg
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on April 27th, 2006 at 09:40 AM

Well i pulled all the cooling tin of the 1200. Am looking at doing it up and wacking it in the bug to get it on the road. Then I will look at the larger capacity engine. Was thinking that if the price of fuel keeps going the way it is that I might be sticking with the 1200! (will use it as a spare anyways) Am also looking at using a GT Starlet turbo on it (1.3l) that should give it a pit more punch and spool up at lower revs (as the 1200 is not a rev happy engine).

Also putting all the wiring back in the car. Just making sure that I have it all correct before I make it all neat and tidy. So far I have cleaned the entire harness, but there are still some bastardizations (from previous owner swapping to 12v) that I need to fix but will make sure that I have it all wired correctly first.

Error
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on April 27th, 2006 at 09:41 AM

And one of the 1200......

Error
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on May 11th, 2006 at 10:19 AM

Well the spaggetti western wiring is nearly all complete and tidy. Just have to install a new flasher unit and the wiper switch and mechanism, oh and the headlights.

Tested each circuit and all seems to be working well so far. The wiring circuits in the Haynes workshop manual are very informative, except for a few small issues.

I did learn something though, next time I will remove the boot lid, because boot lid + low sitting bug + tall man = very sore back (too much bending).

Not sure how I am going to wire up the extra guages and tacho. I am thinking about following the same route as the original harness, however remembering the pain that I went through to get that back in, I might go through the passenger heater channel instead. Not sure yet.

Progress seems slow at the moment, but lack on $ and work are hampering my efforts. Maybe the end of the year will see the tyres hit the road. Time will tell.

Anyways I have another couple of pictures.

Matt.

[ Edited on 11-5-2006 by MattY-64 ]

Error

Error
Memberempi
A.k.a.: Empstar
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 178

Mood: thunderous

posted on May 11th, 2006 at 10:36 AM

Take out the coil over shocks before you lower it , these usually jack up cars some what.
They are always handy to have, if yo slamm yo car and needs to raise it quickly bang in the coil overs and heypresto 4wd height.

empi

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you." - Anonymous :ninja:
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on May 11th, 2006 at 11:13 AM

empi,

The coilover shocks were removed when I lowered the bug. They will be up for sale once I get myself sorted. Going to go lowered koni or KYG. Have set the rear ride height, however without an engine in place the ride still looks rather high, once engine is in and a quick trip round the block it should settle down to a much lower stance.

Will have to wait and see though, may have to reset the torsion bars again.
Memberoval TOFU
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Bitte, ein Bit!

Threads: 234

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: :booM

posted on May 11th, 2006 at 11:15 AM

try to drive over some speed humps to 'stretch out' the torsoin bars to help them settle down faster...

...and Robert's ya father's brother...
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on July 8th, 2006 at 01:57 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick update. I have been collecting numerous parts to get further along with my project. Other than that I have not acheived too much. I am sorting out the doors, with new window channel felts and all required rubbers etc. I also got myself a few steering wheels off ebay. Am going to see which one is best.

Anywyas here are a few more pics to keep you interested hehe....

[ Edited on 8-7-2006 by MattY-64 ]

Error

Error
Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 16

Mood: Excellent

posted on September 2nd, 2006 at 10:17 PM

Your car is just tempting me to get a bug and play around with it.
It's a beautiful job you've done there mate!
Regards,
Ben

6 Dubs in and counting..

1966 1300 Deluxe Beetle in polar white.
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 11th, 2006 at 12:23 PM

Thans Ben,

I have a few more installments coming soon. I have purchased some SAAS fixed race seats, a SAAS 14" and a SAAS 15" steering wheel, and my mate has given me a starlet 1.3 litre starlet turbo and 5" tacho.

Will put picks up of new (second hand parts) soon. I have progress some more too, got the passenger side window and small vent window in on the weekend, steering wheel fitted with new boss kit (got horn working with correct wiring etc) cleaned up and painted up the wipers (quick job as will need to change to a 2 speed soon).

So slowly comming along, trying to get everything back together before the end of the year and then I will probably drop in a motor for rego whilst built up a turbo engine.

Anyways thanks again. You shouldn't hold back, there are plenty out there to save and tinker with, and definately are fun to work on.

Matt.

[ Edited on 11-9-2006 by MattY-64 ]

[ Edited on 11-9-2006 by MattY-64 ]

Error

Error
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 12th, 2006 at 09:05 AM

Error
Memberwhatnow
A.k.a.: Henry
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 54

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: 14's are the new earlies.

posted on September 12th, 2006 at 09:11 PM

your car is looking really nice.... love the colour.
Memberbugluv
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 23

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple

posted on September 24th, 2006 at 03:32 PM

very nice!!

1974 L-bug... 'Basil'
VW's were made to be driven, not hidden.
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 25th, 2006 at 10:23 PM

OK, I have fitted the drivers side window and quater vent, after much swearing and pain of my big fingers, i got it all together. The drivers side window is much tighter thjan the passangers for some reason. They usually say that the second attempt turns out better, but I think that my first window was better.

I have a few questions about the lift channel, but i will keep them in the tech sectioin.

I basically have all the parts now so it is just a process of putting everything back together, but I am having some troubles with the wiper mechanism, but I will sort it out.

I took a few more shots to keep myself interested, so here they are.....

[ Edited on 25-9-2006 by MattY-64 ]

Error

Error
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 27th, 2006 at 10:05 AM

Well last night I got my dad to keep me fit up the windscreen. I think for a first attempt we did a terrific job, no rips in the rubber or anything, but there was a few choice words after our first attempt when the rubber came off the glass and was all slippery from the soapy water we were using.

So after about 2 and a half hours work, which included fitting the rubber to the glass, then working in the flash trim (which is a very big pain), and then two attempts at fitting the windscreen it is now installed. I was very excited until I noticed one thing.

Yep you guessed it, I have put it in back to front! Not going to take it out and change it back as I am slack and I think that it would probably end up worse, instead I hear that you can get some glass polish? to polish up the now inside surface of the windscreen.

If anyone knows of this can they tell me the product? Otherwise I will just drop by a glass place when she is on the road and get it done professionaly.

Will post some pics later.

Cheers,

Matt.
Membergreenman
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 35

posted on September 27th, 2006 at 11:22 AM

Hmmmmm.
Does that mean your wipers are now on the inside????
Only joking. Car looks great. Wots your end choice of tyre wheel combo, or wot would you really want?
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 27th, 2006 at 11:30 AM

Hi Cal68,

Well after 40years of wiper usage the swirl marks are sitting on the surface of the glass so you could nearly swear that the wipers were inside! hehe nah its not that bad, just plays on your mind, but no too much. the swirls are going to be there where it is inside out or not so not too worried.

Tyre and wheel combo....well my missus tells me that I need to get some mags of some description, BRMs are nice. However I really like the deep dish rear look, so not sure.

At the moment it sits on 185/70 R 13 on the front and 205/70 R14 on the back. I like the larger wheel look at the back. So time will tell and ofcourse the other factory also....money.

Cheers,

Matt.
Membergreenman
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 35

posted on September 27th, 2006 at 12:14 PM

Great to sse the girls getting a look in. Even if it is just an opinion. Have you seen those 17"BRMs. They'd be phat.
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on November 13th, 2006 at 01:08 PM

I thought that I would give everyone an update on my very slow progress......

I had some time off work and finished off a few odds and ends.

I have customized an old two speed wiper with a push button in it to run the wiper squirt. I got a wiper squirt motor from super cheap and fitter it to the end of the ash tray, (i don't smoke so that will never be used anyways!). I then got some yard irrigation tubing (original tubing is worth an arm and a leg!) and fited it all up to the bottle and the spray director.....

i have done all the wiring and checked it with a meter, so that is looking good....

all the windows, windscreens etc are all installed, not having much of an interia (eventually i want to race this car in sprints so trying to keep it as light as possible)

i have a big hole in the dash (done by previous owner) and i didn't think about it until after i painted it, so my plan is to wire in a round hazard button, seeing at the dub doesn't have one.

i have a radio block off plate, but justing painting that black for now, cash is limited (after you get married)...

I have fitted all the rear engine bay rubbers, they where a bit of a pain....

I have also fitted the rear discs (had issues as they were for long axel and i only have short, so they were machined down 15mm). i did a bit of an art job on the metal piping though, lines to the calipers are different so i had to mould/bend it up a bit, but all is fitted.

so all four corners have discs now! yipeeeee

i have gone over the front end again and rechecked all the torque settings, and i have figured out my single brake resivor to dual master cylinder system.

basically i got a plastic T from supercheap and areldited it to the end of the single resivour output. I have then fiberglassed around the join to strengthen it up, doesn't look pretty but i am hoping that it will do the job. It might not work well when i get it on the road, if so i will try a different approach.

I have also started stripping the single port 1200....

here are a couple of pics to keep you interested

[ Edited on 13-11-2006 by MattY-64 ]

Error

Error
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on November 13th, 2006 at 01:11 PM

and some more....i almost forgot, my wife has named the bug......

Super Grover......

at the moment it is just blue, but hopefully one day it will fly (pun intend :P)

[ Edited on 13-11-2006 by MattY-64 ]

Error

Error
MemberSpellbound
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 15

Theme: UltimaBB Powder

posted on November 13th, 2006 at 01:36 PM

Hey Matt...

Im newish to this forum and the VW scene, and I find your thread pretty inspiring, probably because I can relate to your story a bit. I have a 76 Bug that I am restoring (my first one) and so far not a lot has happened because, you guessed it, money has been tight. She's off getting a new floor at the moment, so when I get her back Im keen to get in and get dirty. Even so, it has been frustrating not being able to see much of a change in the car yet - I guess your thread just goes to show that even though it could take ages to get little things done, the end result is well worth the wait. Top stuff. Will be checking back on your progress.

Oh, like everyone else - LOVE the colour!!

Cheers
Tim
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on November 13th, 2006 at 06:29 PM

hey Matt

wiring up a hazard switch in an older vw can be a bit of a chore but as an alternative, i know u dont smoke but why not put a ciggi lighter socket in there
i'd bet thats what the hole was for anyway and theyre great for phone chargers and mp3 players etc

-Joel
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on November 14th, 2006 at 09:54 AM

Hi Joel,

Yes the hazard wiring is alittle time consuming and tedious, but because i want to do sprints in it I think that it may be a requirement? not sure about that one, also will be safer on the road. The wiring isn't really all that hard, it is just tedious, i have attached a very, very poor drawing that i just did in paint.......can anyone see any holes in my plans??

Matt.

Error
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 10th, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Must have lost some of the posts when the server was swapped over -

So far I have all glass in, all wiring in, rear fenders on ready to be secured, front fender on, brakes ready for bleeding, seat rails nearly modified for race seats......

Here is a qick pic,

Cheers,

Matt.

Error
MemberMattY-64
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 29th, 2007 at 09:31 AM

Well not too much more progress, we just got a puppy so I have been a little distracted.

I have got the brakes bleed (sore arm from all the pumping!), i put all the wheels back on to give me some more motivation, i can roll it around now, am still sorting out the running boards, fitted them up, but will do some work on them before i leave them there for good.

Not much left to do really, engine, seats and seat belts and other little things then it will be on the road.

Anyways here is a snap shot for you all....

Cheers,

Matt.

Error
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

rsvdclap.gif posted on January 29th, 2007 at 04:50 PM

Your Beetle looks good Matt...

I just read thru all the posts....

I wouldn't have re used the shatter type safety glass windscreen in Your Beetle.....
I bought a laminated windscreen for My 68 Beetle, and i do have a few shatter type safety glass windscreens but I wouldn't use them... they are illegal too... in NSW..

and they break very easily with stones...

other than that, great job..
thanks for the pics...

[mine took nearly 10 years to restore... lol ]

cheers

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug 

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top