Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1249 | Total Replies: 7 | Thread Id: 34873 ]
Author: Subject: lowering a splitty without changing everything?
Memberrobnjo
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 254

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: its tricky tricky tricky

cool.gif posted on January 31st, 2005 at 04:32 PM
lowering a splitty without changing everything?

In a way I want to keep it sorta original running gear(but maybe also because of money, I don't want to put to much cash in this other than what is needed) so...
I suppose the look I want is Just a smidge down, like "Height 1" on "Bus seleca". was thinkin' some drop spindles on the front and then on the back....,now this is where I'm not sure, Can you you drop it down a spline like on bugs or does this stuff around with the reduction boxes?
because its the original motor or motor from the same year I didn't want to change all that.
Any info
Thanks
Rob
Membertwoguns
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
simply aircooled

Threads: 226

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey
Mood: simply cruizin'

posted on January 31st, 2005 at 07:02 PM

straight axle for the back. not very expensive for a straight simple conversion. and believe me you dont want to keep reduction hubs. dotn think you can jsut lower it a bit as the reduction hubs would need oil when htey are in their best condition, let alone 40 yr old ones.

the simplest is straight alxe=3inch drop
drop spindles=3inch drop and your about the stage one. busslecta
you would still have all your og brakes and stuff. so what ever mucking you do on those is your own $$

Simply Cruzin'...
Membervwtyp2
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 160

Mood: over it

posted on January 31st, 2005 at 07:46 PM

this is what Dave (57 Kombi) did on his bus.
check out the pics of his.
Andrew (pmgbus) does the straight axle conversion plates.
Membert2
Custom Title Time!
stop taking life so serious

Threads: 206

Mood: tired

posted on January 31st, 2005 at 08:03 PM

if you dont want to drop it to much, it is poss to drop it a spline keeping the redux hubs on, also if you dont want to spend any money at all you could cut and turn the front beam , its not the best method but it will get you down for free ,all that will be required is your labour .
my bus was lowered using this method when i got it , i sold the beam to waltermitty maybe he doesnt want it anymore it gave a drop of around 2 / 3 inches , if you were to turn it a spline on the rear just make sure there is enough oil in the box so it will still get to the bearings. in my bus there was a noise in there some where so i made up a straight axle conversion , try the link to see how you can make one up

http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/forum/viewthread.php?action=attachment&ti...
Memberrobnjo
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on February 1st, 2005 at 08:06 AM

Thanks guys, food for thought. so If I come across an Lbug(?) gear box and motor(?) and keep the old set-up in the shed would it be a big job to change back if I wish?
was thinking drop spindels on the front as this is just a matter of swaping back and forward if I want....Right?
Thanks again
Rob
Membertwoguns
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
simply aircooled

Threads: 226

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey
Mood: simply cruizin'

posted on February 1st, 2005 at 08:12 AM

if you convert straight axle. i think you use some of your current bits. if you wanna swap back at all, talk to T2 and get a list of all you need. then start scrounging. this way you can keep all you take off and then be able to put it back on later.
if our interested i have the og axles, and other stuff from my dcab. i wont be wanting them ever again. ie drums, reduct boxes...etc

Simply Cruzin'...
Member57kombi
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Hannover Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 181

Mood: Got one, but keeping it under wraps

posted on February 1st, 2005 at 09:43 AM

I agree with twoguns.
Go the straight axle conversion, you will be 3 inches lower and you can save your original gearbox etc if you ever want to swap it back.

For the front contact Rob King, (splitbusaustralia)see if he is still doing his dropped spindles, this way you get a 3 inch drop and have full suspension.
If you cut and turn the beam it will lower it but it gives a harsher ride and you cannot easily change it back, with the spindles its an hour to change them over.
Heres yet another excuse to show a pic, keep em coming.

Cheers
Dave

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberrobnjo
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on February 1st, 2005 at 02:30 PM

Thanks guys, I've been planing my attack on the splitty while I been working on my bathroom the last few days I'v been siting around waiting for beding cement to set and concret to set(being a double bick home thats got a blood thick arse slab) I've been cuting/kangering and reconcreting and there has be a lot of time sitting down for a breather or waiting for thing to go off,so Jo thinks I've been spending more time on AVD then working in the bathroom......chicks just don't get it do they.lol
the bad thing for me is I married to a wockaholic.
...though she loves vws so I'll keep her ;)

Go To Top