Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 531 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 43391 ]
Author: Subject: ...Now it's a carby problem!
MemberGeneral_Failure
A.k.a.: Tristan
Custom Title Time!
Use your head, don't abuse it!

Threads: 107

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Not too bad. Thanks for asking!

sad.gif posted on September 2nd, 2005 at 03:43 PM
...Now it's a carby problem!

I just got a can of aerostart so I can start my van to get it up on the ramps for the engine removal. Yet another problem appeared.

I couldn't get it started even with the normal squirt of aerostart so I cranked open the throttle bar with one hand while I sprayed aerostart down its throats. While I was doing this something caught my eye.

There was a nice fountain of fuel squirting straight up from the right carby whenever I open the throttle!
The fuel is coming from between the little square throttle pump plate and the carburettor body.

Would this just be a plain old gasket failure or would there be something else behind it like a blockage or something?
I was doing it with the motor off so all the solenoids would have been closed if that makes any difference.

If at first you don't succeed. Build, build again.
Vehicle: 1975 Special order delivery walkthrough panel based LCA pop-top camper. Motor: Nippon 1.8L Single port Wasserboxer, Transmission: 3 rib 002.
Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

Threads: 158

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: do you see the bats?

posted on September 2nd, 2005 at 03:57 PM

gasket failure.

still should run on aerostart.....

can run with NO carby with aerostart, its gr8 stuff

This disclaimer does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my dog: don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; this disclaimer is subject to change without notice; text is slightly enlarged to show detail; resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; dry clean only; do not bend, fold, or mutilate; anchovies or jalapenos added to this disclaimer upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions are allowed; for a limited time only while supplies last; offer void where prohibited; this disclaimer is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied
MemberGeneral_Failure
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 2nd, 2005 at 05:04 PM

Usually aerostart can do iteasily . I fixed the spark up last week so it'd be firing again too.
The battery i got isn't any good (I believe). I still need to return it to get another one. It was dead flat when I got it and overflowed 3 times while I tried to charge it. It can provide about 10 seconds of engine cranking at a pathetically slow speed. I'm assuming if it were just bad battery connections it'd provide a lot more pathetic cranking time. Somehow I think it's not quite up to it's original 460CCA.
I think I'll recheck the spark just to be sure.

So a simple gasket failure. Why would it happen out of the blue like that. Weird. Ah well, easy to fix I guess. At least it wasn't the diaphragm..

Any idea how i can get it onto the ramps without starting it?
I don't have the extra help I had last time.nn[ Edited on 2-9-2005 by General_Failure ]

Vehicle: 1975 Special order delivery walkthrough panel based LCA pop-top camper. Motor: Nippon 1.8L Single port Wasserboxer, Transmission: 3 rib 002.
Member76camper
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: happy :-)

posted on September 2nd, 2005 at 05:15 PM

jack up your wheels then slide the ramps underneath :-)

ps u got u2u

MemberGeneral_Failure
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 3rd, 2005 at 10:37 AM

Oh yeah. Jack it up. I think I'm getting stupider by the minute! Can't believe it didn't occur to me.

Warped accelerator pump cover, eh? Warpage does make for great leaks. Only one thing bothers me about that though. Why would it warp all of a sudden?

Member76camper
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: happy :-)

posted on September 3rd, 2005 at 08:39 PM

was probably warped before and the seal eventually let go. I duno how it would warp tho, i would be thinking its just the gasket, not really enough heat to warp.

Go To Top