Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 37099 | Total Replies: 44 | Thread Id: 45254 ]
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject:  National code of practice for light vehicle modifications! - engine size limits
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Content

yes.gif posted on October 27th, 2005 at 12:04 PM
National code of practice for light vehicle modifications! - engine size limits

EDITED - 18 Feb 2014
A new national code of practice for light vehicle modification is basically here. On the 1st of January 2011 Version 2.0 of the NCOP (VSB 14) was released;

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

In the preface of the new code it says;
Quote:
In August 2006 the Australian Transport Council endorsed the inclusion of VSB 14 in the
Australian Vehicle Standards Rules (AVSR) as a source of guidance for vehicle modifications.
The consolidated amendments to the AVSR published in 2007 reflect this decision in Part 3
Australian Design Rules.

Each jurisdiction has adopted the AVSR in its legislation, either by reference or incorporation in
regulations, and there may be variations in some the rules or rule numbers. For the purpose of
clarity, the terms Australian Vehicle Standards Rules and (AVSR) will be used throughout
VSB 14 to indicate both the AVSR and the variation used by each jurisdiction

I take this to mean that the NCOP is referenced by the AVSR (in 2007), and that now each state/territory has adopted the AVSR in it's legislation. This means the NCOP should now be usable Australia wide.

There is also this interesting paragraph on the ncop site;
Quote:
Where a jurisdiction is unable to nationally recognise an element of VSB 14, the individual difference/s are highlighted within VSB 14. In these instances, users should contact the responsible Registration Authority for further advice.

I would like confirmation from each state / territory, but that is a painful process. This is what I have been able to figure out so far.

VIC - 18 Feb 2014
Vic uses a modified version of the NCOP, info here
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9B3A858D-15A0-4572-90BF-3D08214BF...

NSW - 18 Feb 2013 - The NSW light vehicle mod guide now references the NCOP
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi6.pdf 

[color=darkgreen]QLD - 18 Feb 2014 - Queensland has adopted a MODIFIED version of the NCOP, explained here;
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-...
Luckily it seems to relax the NCOP, like waiving the IM240 test since it can't be done in QLD.

SA - 24/3/06 - "Although the administrative arrangements vary from State to State, SA essentially endorses the Code for light vehicle modifications as now available on the DoTaRS website. It is important for SA residents to apply in advance to DTEI, Vehicle Services Section, Vehicle Standards Unit, phone 1300 882 248 for assessment of major or more extreme modifications. For minor and intermediate level modifications, the Code is the appropriate guide. If in doubt, it is always good value for your members to consult with the Department first for advice, which is provided freely and at no cost."

TAS - VSB 14 is reference in the TAS modification application form, and therefore is in use http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/pdf/standards_publicatons/Modification20Application20Form20revised202820May20061.pdf

WA - VSB 14 is reference in the WA modification application form, and therefore is in use http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_modform_prodveh.pdf

NT - 26/7/06 - VSB 14 has been adopted in the NT as a guide to light vehicle modifications that can be accepted, and is used by the Technical Advisory Committee when assessing applications, however, modifications outside the scope of the code may on exception be considered on a case by case basis by the Committee subject to appropriate technical assessment and/or certification. www.ipe.nt.gov.au/whatwedo/mvr/vehiclestandards/pdf/ib-v32-2007-03.pdf

ACT - 26/7/06 - The ACT is accepting vehicles for registration that have been modified in accordance with the national code for light vehicle modifications
01/02/09 - ACT has fully accepted the new code - http://www.rego.act.gov.au/assets/PDFs/Light%20Vehicle%20Modifications%20in%20the%20ACT.pdf

[size=5]Also I have noticed that the ADR's are available online;
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx[/size]

I also found this little bit of info on the NCOP from the Australian Automotive Aftermarket
Association Submission
to the
Federal Government
Review of the Australian
Automotive Industry
dated the 14th of May 2008;
http://www.innovation.gov.au/automotivereview/Documents/65%20AAAA%20140508.pdf
"In an effort to move towards more consistent national regulation, the state transport authorities
developed and released a National Code of Practice on Light Vehicle Construction and
Modification (VSB 14) in late 2005 following input from industry stakeholders including the
AAAA. The group formed to manage the content and implementation of VSB 14 is the Motor
Vehicle Certification Working Board which includes representatives from all the stakeholders
detailed above. At this stage both Queensland and Western Australia are proactively
implementing VSB 14 into their state legislation with the other jurisdictions working to a range of
different implementation timeframes. In Queensland the AAAA actively participates on the
Queensland Automotive Working Party which includes representatives from QLD Transport,
Police, MTA, IAME and RACQ. This group is working through the implementation of VSB 14
section by section and it’s work is likely to set the precedence for implementation of the code
nationally."

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on October 27th, 2005 at 12:55 PM

for the QLD offroad boys, vw body lift kits can now be approved with a mod code rather than having to get approval from Queensland Transport themselves.

"Bodies can be lifted up to 50mm using spacer blocks on the chassis mounts and can be approved under Codes LS3 & LS4 and LS5 & LS6."

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on October 27th, 2005 at 10:03 PM

Hi Wes

Thats better than before. Still cant run a 2.5 WRX in my 1303 though,
870 x 4 = 3480 cc NA or 870 x 2.75 = 2392.5 cc Forced induction.

What do late Type 3s weigh? Over 1100 Kgs?
1100 x 5 = 5500cc NA or 1100 x 2.75 = 3025 cc Forced induction.

Hope its introduced.

Steve
MemberDasdubber
A.k.a.: Alan Agyik
23 Windows of Awesome
DAS Resto Haus

Threads: 289

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: feeling fine...

posted on October 27th, 2005 at 10:10 PM

Hmmm....interesting reading (I'm being serious)....pity the maximum allowable tyre width still restricts us VW owners significantly. See quote below:

Tyres fitted to passenger cars or passenger car derivatives must not be more than 30% wider than vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre.
The rim width must not exceed the recommendations for the tyre fitted.
For example, if the original widest optional tyre is 185mm, the maximum tyre width is 1.3 times 185mm = 240.5mm, i.e. a 235mm wide tyre. The maximum rim width for a 235mm tyre is 9 inches if the aspect ratio is 60 or below.

Therefore for a VW beetle, with a 155 maximum tyre size as standard, a 195 tyre is the max....if you say 165 tyres were used, a 205 tyre is maximum.

Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on October 27th, 2005 at 10:41 PM

Hi

I just read the same thing, imagine having all the power that they allow, going through such skinny wheels & tyres. Still its only in draft form.

Steve

[ Edited on 27-10-2005 by 1303Steve ]
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on October 28th, 2005 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dasdubber
Therefore for a VW beetle, with a 155 maximum tyre size as standard, a 195 tyre is the max....if you say 165 tyres were used, a 205 tyre is maximum.

The thing with this code is you have to know how to read it. Those tyre sizes are for "modifications without certification".

If you read on to "FRONT SUSPENSION & STEERING CONVERSION (DESIGN) - CODE LS3" it says "Approvals that are allowed under this Code include 6. Alternative wheel and tyre specifications for vehicles with modified axles or suspension;"

rear suspension code LS5 says the same thing.

So I think this will mean that if you ensure the suspension is strong enough to handle the extra loads of larger wheels and tyres, then there probably isn't any limit on the size.

The question will be how will the approval engineers interpret the code and what if any suspension mods will they ask for in order to fit larger wheels. Maybe a simple brace on the front beam and some gussets on the rear trailing arms would be sufficient, some might even argue the standard vw stuff is strong enough and will just look to ensure the tyres have enough clearance and don't rub on anything.

MemberMickH
A.k.a.: Michael Hutchinson
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

Threads: 29

Mood: Grow a brain...walls don't hit back...

posted on October 29th, 2005 at 06:03 AM

Kombi's are classed as commercial vehicles..

tssnq.com.au
Member2443TT
A.k.a.: Ian
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 68

posted on November 7th, 2005 at 11:46 PM

Well i'm in shock this is so cool! According to this my car is actually legal with the 2332 turbo and my 205 wide tyres. Shame tho as Dasdubber said cause I wasn planning on turning them into smoke and upgrading to 225's. :D
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on November 8th, 2005 at 09:57 PM

Hi

As the site asked for comments I sent the following question to the NSW representive, no response yet.

Steve
==================================

I have just been reading through the Draft National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP). As I’m already building a modified car that I will be submitted some time next year, I found that the allowed wheel size increases were very small.

The vehicle I’m building is a 1972 Beetle which had an optional size rim of 5.5 inches, with the draft as it stands now I would only be able to run a 7.15 inch wheel.

The regulations that are in place now allow vehicles, which were not built to comply with ADR 24 (pre 1973) to have the wheel width worked out on a finished weight basis. My finished car will weigh just over 1000 kgs so it will be able run an 8-inch wheel under the present regulations.

Do you see this area of the draft regulation changing?

Thanks very much for your time in reading my email and the work your doing on this new legislation, regards Steve Carter.
Memberchoppa
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 42

Mood: Itchy

posted on March 20th, 2006 at 01:34 PM

My 1969 IRS Notch weighed in at 960kgs with the turbo Liberty conversion. The inspectors said that that was close to original weight.
And they wanted me to keep the 165 tyres on standard rims.
Obviously the inspectors didnt take it for a spin when I asked . But they passed it no probs.
Interstingly with the new regs. I could fit a 2.5 turbo now.
Would be intersting on 165 recaps!
Memberkevo
A.k.a.: kevo Milner
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Green
Mood: always happy

posted on March 22nd, 2006 at 01:15 AM

great, i might even be able to legalise my V8 baywindow!!!!!!!!!!

i could even put a 7.7L big block in there and have it legal if it was installed correctly hahaha

76 baywindow kombi - V8 & Weddle racing diff and gearbox
Daily driven beach cruiser
Membermalcolm
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 102

Mood: where did he go!!!!!!

posted on August 11th, 2006 at 08:17 PM

last time if you had your car registered with a engineer they gave 2 years grace to get your car finnished.I,m using the later pan under the oval body to cover the weight multiplier different front & rear to cover wheel size issues.
What happened when the car past the brake test you could use any size motor .
Membernewoldmanx
A.k.a.: Billy
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 52

Mood: stylin

posted on October 30th, 2006 at 10:53 AM

well im still slotting the 13bt side fed pp with a large shot of laughing gas :D into my manx and its gonna be legal :D

its just a car for f*%k sake
MemberStephenM
Commited Dubber

Threads: 7

posted on September 29th, 2007 at 09:18 AM

Who knows off hand what a 69 stock beetle weighs? I'm hoping i can still slot that 13BTT in her one day.
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on September 29th, 2007 at 09:20 AM

700-800 kgs without looking it up

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on September 29th, 2007 at 03:56 PM

Hi

I'm pretty sure a 1500 bug weighs about 820 kg.

I'm not sure where you are but the new laws are still not in affect in NSW.

Under the old NSW law it was 2.5 X (your cars factory weight for forced induction) So 2.5 x 820 = 2050 cc A 13B Turbo is rated at 2600 cc, so its out for you car.

Under the new laws its 2.75 x 820 = 2255 cc so still no go.

The old rules for non turbo motors is 3 x 820 = 2460 cc Maybe go 12A non turbo?

Under the new laws you can go 4 x (your cars factory weight) non turbo which is 3280 cc, some very interesting possibilities open up now.

Steve.
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on September 29th, 2007 at 04:13 PM

Hi

I've just been reading the suspension section. The wheel and tyre area looks more lenient tah old NSW regs.

I will take my 1303 as an example.

Stock radial tyre on a 1303 is 155. They then multiply it 1.3. So 155 x 1.3= 201.5, so if you run below 60 series tyres you can run 7.5 wide wheels.

Optional tyre on sports wheels for a 1303 is 175. So 175 x 1.3 = 227.5 So that means I can run 8.5/9. inch wheels.

I'm liking these new regulations already, with wider wheels allowed and bigger engine sizes as mentioned in my previous post.

Steve
MemberStephenM
Commited Dubber

Threads: 7

posted on October 1st, 2007 at 07:21 PM

I in Tasmania, now these new rules;

If what i understand is correct these are without being engineered aren´t they?

What would I have to do to get it engineered? Would i be able to do it even with strengthening stuff and better stopping gear?

Stevie
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on October 1st, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Hi

These new rules apply as to what an engineer can pass. I have no experience with Tassie modified car rules, it would be best to talk to your local rule makers or an approved engineer.

Steve
Memberbugzla
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 240

Mood: always happy

posted on March 4th, 2009 at 06:57 AM

finally .....well hopfully some good news for qld i might even see a 13b bridgy in one of my projects yet series 5 here we go ...........................
Membervwvic
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 19

posted on March 24th, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Does anyone know if it will be legal to have air-bag suspension in QLD after these laws are introduced,they wont let you do it at all at the moment.

59 beetle,61 beetle,72 dual cab,58 beetle,55 splitty,
65 manx,74 camper,60 Rat beetle.....and many more to come
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on July 9th, 2009 at 02:30 PM

I've updated the original post with some recent proposed changes that will be worse for us VW people when it comes to engine size.

Member666bug
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 21

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on January 16th, 2010 at 09:57 PM

Hey Guys,

I have a 1974 super looking to put a 2ltr STI engine into it I also have a set of 17" turbo twist rims will this pass in QLD? any help would be great :ninja:
Memberjohny rotten
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

posted on January 17th, 2010 at 06:11 AM

if you lie about the weight of the car like others on here have done then maybe
:smilegrin::smilegrin:
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on January 17th, 2010 at 09:48 AM

Last car I had engineered had to have a pre-modification weighbridge ticket, and a finished weighbridge ticket. The weighbridge has front and rear axle and total weight.

Quote:
Originally posted by johny rotten
if you lie about the weight of the car like others on here have done then maybe
:smilegrin::smilegrin:

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on January 22nd, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Version 2.0 of the NCOP has been released. I have updated the first post.

Memberh
A.k.a.: Towely BuMpEr KING! ILLegal ALIEN on a roadtrip
Scirocco Rare
fractals - an ever changing lifestyle

Threads: 375

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: A T3 is not a Kombi - stop waving at me

posted on January 22nd, 2011 at 12:11 PM

thanks wes.. interesting reading there

fractal geometry; the inner most limits of mind altering abuse

Fantasy http://seventhchronicle.com 

Z = Z2 + C1/r = 1/0 = infinity

Barrels http://www.barrelman.com.au 

VW Workshop - aircooledgarage.com.au
allcooled.com.au
MemberPickpocket
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

posted on February 11th, 2011 at 06:49 AM

I just spent a little time reading and attempting to interpret these laws.....man I feel for you guys. If I had to jump through this many hoops to get my project approved for street use I wouldn't bother to start. On a positive note, you most likely end up with a safer-to-drive car than most of the projects we build here in the States.
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on February 11th, 2011 at 05:04 PM

A current wild project I am working on has my Engineer referring to all of the engine size, weight and suspension dynamics relating to VSB14. If they pass the guidelines, then he is accepting them. This is in Victoria under the VASS scheme.

MemberGeneral_Failure
A.k.a.: Tristan
Custom Title Time!
Use your head, don't abuse it!

Threads: 107

Mood: Not too bad. Thanks for asking!

posted on February 11th, 2011 at 06:51 PM

i just wish a lot of the BS we have to go through would be dropped. Seriously are there any stricter countries?

If I had the funding and actually thought that for once the authorities weren't petty minded sadists I'd love to get one of those Red9 double wishbone bus beams. But seeing ...who was it? going through so many hoops to get the drop spindles for their beetle approved I figured that anything remotely interesting is a lost cause.

By the way has anyone noticed in the VSI2 the requirement for a working heater? I think it even had aircooled vehicles in brackets for the example. Someone seems to have it in for converted VWs. This is a pain because my bay hasn't had a remotely complete heating system since it was converted to a camper probably shortly after manufacture.

If at first you don't succeed. Build, build again.
Vehicle: 1975 Special order delivery walkthrough panel based LCA pop-top camper. Motor: Nippon 1.8L Single port Wasserboxer, Transmission: 3 rib 002.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top