Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 3822 | Total Replies: 66 | Thread Id: 48100 ]
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject:  I am finally a dubber.(pics of resto r posting here) :D
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on January 19th, 2006 at 10:00 PM

i will put the door together tomorrow anyways.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
MemberStenGuns
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 236

posted on January 19th, 2006 at 10:16 PM

Good luck Chris.. If you could bottle passion and sell it, you would have all the $$ you need.. I am sure there will be a great bug parked in your driveway before too long.. You deserve it.
MemberColumBUS
A.k.a.: The Liquid Chef
Wolfsburg Elder
Hail To The Bus Driver!

Threads: 164

Mood: Euro - Trashed

posted on January 19th, 2006 at 10:16 PM

budget respray i hope, a proper one will cost a packet, i know how it is to support an automotive hobby whilst on shitty student wages.

well i wasnt a student... just supporting myself whilst living out of home with roommates who decided they pay rent whenever they felt like it

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/kroozinkikko/fishsigfinalsmall.jpg
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 19th, 2006 at 10:18 PM

thanx all. Hmm, any ideas about the caning of passion? I got alot to share Lol :thumb:P

yeah. i'm trying to budget, doing a DIY acrylic. Can u buy second hand paint? :P

oh what the heck. if i'm gonna fix the rust, and want a baja thats gonna last till i get enough $$$ for a buggy body, i might as well, do a full respray and tidy up. Good practice and experience i say.

[ Edited on 19/1/2006 by mynameischris88 ]

[ Edited on 19/1/2006 by mynameischris88 ]

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Membersubibaja
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 45

Theme: XMBX Pro Green

posted on January 19th, 2006 at 11:24 PM

you can buy new bottom door pillars from mick motors

anyone who says it's bad to put subaru motors in vw's.....
hasnt got a clue about smoooooooooth

terry
brisbane
you know who i am
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 08:17 AM

Chris, if I were you, I'd fix the rust and then just enjoy the car. Go do a motorkhana or two, go offroad with some other guys and get the hang of a Baja. Then build the beastiest buggy the world has ever seen!!!:punk:

Congrats on ya first dub.

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 08:01 PM

Thanx guys. Hmm, will have to make a call to mick motors then.

Yeah pete, i finalised my decisions. Gonna strip her all down and fix her up, clean all rust, on body, and pan, on everything, make it like new.

Have started stripping the interior and getting ready to lift off the body off the pan. Inspecting everything, this car i got was a dam bargin, everything is good, the chassis and body is solid, and hardly at all any structural rust. The heater channels are intact all the way through, solid as a rock. Except the outside at the front of the a pillars.

Should i do a diary of my resto on this thread or another?

Oh well, will say what i have done so far. My bros, father and I pushed the car up to the back yard, just before it started raining. been raining all day. (hard for a resto). Cause we aint got no titan shed, i had to improvise. 'Borrowed' my brothers 6 x 3 m good thick tarp, put it over the car, and got tent poles, rope, and pegs, and made a temporary car port. It keeps dry in the rain, got the fence to protect rain that comes in with a breeze. I did put another loose tarp though over the front end for extra protection.

So, got taht done this morning, and have been stripping the interior. Got all seats out, rear seat brace bar thing for the bottom part, took of the steering wheel and other fat solid cylinder things for it, Took out carpet, soundproofing stuff (who eva used it previously used door mats for soundproofing, as well as one for the headlining, quite hilarious, but teared apart easily, making a hell of a mess. Um, took out all seatbelts, rear board and woodern braces for that (some fibre board that was over the storage compartment. Just made it a bare pan from the inside.

Seeing i didn't have a big titan shed or a fully enclosed carport (the tarp), I put it all in the small, tight backyard shed and in a box trailer of ours (both waterproof). Umm, took out fuel tank, disconnected all that wires and piping on it. Disconnected steering wheel shaft, gotta move something thats not budging at the end of it, will put some wd40, then was dinner time.

Getting prepped to lift off body. Got more photos too.

Its interesting, the car is very very simple. (like any classic bug i guess). Things are so easy, and i haven't even got any books to assist except Jeff Hibbards baja bugs and buggies. Commonsense, and observing its all that i find that is needed. Isn't it great how it is that simple? Will need the books though when it comes to rebuilding it all up, i think i would wanna get reference texts to help me, cause i wanna put it back together right.

Am getting no help from any of my family, my parents neva done a resto, they neva had a vee dub either. Am a lone ranger here. Which makes me feel a little proud of myself. its good to get that self esteem and confidence. By the way, you wanna lose weight and get exercise, try a restoration using no electronic or air tools when it comes ot dismantling. :D

heres my temporary car port: :P

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 08:02 PM

my headlining. U can clean ur feet on it at the same time :D

Its gone now.

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 08:03 PM

mid day progress

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 08:05 PM

by the way, was having a geez at my motor, been wondering this for a while. there is a piece of pipe, just hanging, not connected to anything on either end.

You guys know what It may be too? I was thinking, maybe it used to have an external oil filter fitted. I put my finger in the tube, no real greasy residue, Maybe long gone. tough piping though.

:

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 08:08 PM

anyone know what this mount is suppose to have one it? its got another one on the other side, can see in the previous photo.

Was guessing maybe it was to mount somehow with the stock exhaust and help support it. I dunno, thats just an amature guess of mine.

Any ideas?

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 10:05 PM

the rear all cleared:

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
MemberAnthiron
A.k.a.: Nicko McKay
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
The Baja Rejuvenation Begins

Threads: 310

Mood: Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for sega.

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 10:16 PM

the first tube is your crank case oil breather which connects to your oil bath air filter if stock filter is used or u can do what i did and get a little breather filter that hose clamps on next to the oil cap.

the second item is a heat riser tube which keeps your manafold from icing up in colder weather by letting some of the exhaust rub up under the manafold.

Nick

62/60 model bug eye baja bug, (Full Build in Progress)
1974 Chevrolet Luv
1970 MK2 Ford Cortina GT
1979 Yamaha RX125 Two Stroke tracker project.
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster XL Custom
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 10:49 PM

hmm. thanx Nick.

I don't know what is up with that loose tube.(Not connected to anything on either ends)

Maybe something non stock has been used, or just other parts are missing. Will have to have a look. But thanx for solving the mystery for me :D :thumb

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
MemberAnthiron

posted on January 20th, 2006 at 11:05 PM

whats not connected? tthe heat risers or the breather tube?

breather tube should run up from the crank case near the dip stick, thru the filler bit and then the metal tube pops out the top there and the rubber tube connects from here to the air filter. if u arent running a stock air filter or an air filter with an oil breather port then u can get a little breather filter. u ditch the flexible tube and fit the breather to the metal pipe coming out next to the oil cap.

if its the heat risers u are talking about they should connect to the exhaust headers just near the exhaust ports on the rear two cylinders and the pip runs under your intake manafold and is just a connecting tube between. it doesnt go anywhere as such just lets some hot gas pass under the intake manafold to prevent icing up.

some people remove the heat risers and block off the fittings on the headers as in a perfect world colder air fuel mixture means that the particles are closer together and therefore u can fit more in the cylinder. more fuel, more bang, more power.

in theory yes but in pracitce if u arent a peak revvs and everything is perfect u will end up with a poor atomisation in the fuel mix and it will run jerky etc in cold weather.

1974 Chevrolet Luv
1970 MK2 Ford Cortina GT
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 21st, 2006 at 09:43 PM

thanks. ur answer helped with all.

Just looking at a few internet texts right now. Heaps of useful info on dubs over the net.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 22nd, 2006 at 08:51 PM

trust me, it is very irritating. Can't jack up the car at all. (ground to soft, car would probably fall off it)

I took out the engine and the rear barwork without it, a million times harder and really brings the worst outta people :grind:

i even had to pull the engine out without a jack, had to stack 2 bricks and a piece of wood, pull hte engine out till it cleared, then slide it down by tilting the wood. So annoying.

[ Edited on 22/1/2006 by mynameischris88 ]

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
MemberOZ Towdster
A.k.a.: Andrew Westwood
Custom Title Time!
Keen to finish some projects

Threads: 132

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Having fun in our great land

posted on January 22nd, 2006 at 09:09 PM

Don"t rush Chris and take plenty of photos ( to help you reasemble later ) none of us became overnight experts/mechanics and at 38 i am still learning things every day ,as an old man once said '' a day you don't learne something is a day wasted "" ,yes i know i need to spell . Westy

Don't let body work get in the way of real suspension travel
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 22nd, 2006 at 10:18 PM

yeah, i'm trying not too. Been working on it about 8 hrs each day that i can. been 2 days so far. Trying to do as much as i can before uni starts (then progress is really gonna slack off). And can't spend money one resources till uni $$$ is all saved up. SO that gets in the way of progress and new methods need to be improvised.

Spose with all this use of stuff around me, be good practice for finding useful tools when it comes to field repair on those long offroad trips, Lol. :smilegrin:

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
MemberSandy
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 14

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: hmmm

posted on January 23rd, 2006 at 03:31 PM

Congrats! Another blue baja! We can form a gang!:dork:
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 25th, 2006 at 10:17 PM

yep, blues good. Luv blue. Dunno what colour i'm gonna respray on. But it will be light colours, be good for those hot days under the sun while bajain' though simpson desert or maybe through a dakar :P Lol (I dream alot)

Ok, Am thinking of customisations, and realising the expected dollars its gonna consume. Will go baja, but am doing a full on restoration and don't wanna waste this opportunity while i have the car apart to do customisations rather than put it off and wait till i get the body off the pan if a few yrs or decade or so. (wateva comes)

am thinkin' of a rear convert idea. Am still deciding. With barwork. The car will overall then weigh more with the barwork and the body lift kit fitted (to strengthen the car back). that extra weight will decrease performance, but just means i will have to upgrade to in the engine. :P hehe.

Was photoshoping, just for looks of the rear convert idea, nothing major. have heaps more decisions to go. Purpose of rear convert is to allow more access, and perhaps the possibility of the rear area being used for a rear seat, or even having a temporary ute tray fitted for extra storage. maybe. Dunno.

heres the photoshop:

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 25th, 2006 at 10:20 PM

So far, the body is off the pan, that was an interesting exercise.

Body is almost stripped, just got a few wires, glove box, and the usual on the dash.

The pan is pretty good. Got a gapin' big hole in the tunnel near the front (near the pedals). Looks roughly done, thats gotta go or get tidied, one or the other. Will probably put in custom offroads hands to restore that up and give it a fresher look, and if enough dough is put on the line, an IRS conversion too.

Heaps of ways to do em up, it all comes down to the dollar.

Heres a quick snap i got. will ave to get betta progress pics tomorrow mornin.

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

yes.gif posted on January 25th, 2006 at 11:55 PM
mm

Looking cool... another Baja ..

you need an Iguana Pan :thumb

Error

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 27th, 2006 at 12:11 AM

iguana pan ay? gimme the info :P lol

UR the only comprehensive offroad dub supplier i know of that is close to me. Would luv to have a pan that clean and solid looking like that. done as a swap for my pan? or u take my pan, and make it into that or something? or all nu?

I got bent rear forks on my pan :(

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
MemberAnthiron

posted on January 27th, 2006 at 11:33 PM

how much for that pan brad as u see it in that pic all done? not including box or brakes?

1974 Chevrolet Luv
1970 MK2 Ford Cortina GT
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 31st, 2006 at 08:52 PM

Resto update. Not much restoring, but stripping/pulldown almost complete. have learnt alot. A dub doesn't look as complicated as i thought it was. Very easy to understand. so far... Lol

Thanx to all on here, special thanx to the previous tips and assistance/recommendations to fellow avd people so far, especially manx_xtc with the engine removal, working out whats stuffed, and the tranny removal, + body removal, and 1stcarbug too. (round of applause). Wouldn't be up to here if it wasn't for them, but i have heaps to go.

Alot is stuffed on this car. Body is ok. rust is pissing me off, gotta weld up that, a bit to do, and have alot of cracks/fissures too around the body metal as well.

floorpan? well. oh god. hmm. lets see, forks are pretyt much stuffed, can't really be bent back, too weak i rekon, especially if ones cracked, gearbox looks like it needs a rebuilt/recondition too. looks pretty grimy, dirty and oily. The mix of those 3 aint good (saw by undoinga few bolts of the axel).

The corners of the pan are rusted. and pretty badly. THe front beam, will hav to check, butmay suspect some slight bendage. ( i hope not).

But the engines gotta go, gearbox go, chassis go, maybe the front beam too, which means i might as well go a fresh complete chassis, but that costs money. will see my opportunities. Maybe get good 2nd hand parts and restore em up myself. rather than new from companies and manuafactures, cause this is a 1st and probably prefer the cheaper alternative. can't be bothered sitting and waiting till i save up heaps (which would probably take about 6 months.)

But yeah, heres pics of what seems to be going on. doesn't look that much different i guess, but a few dozen extra hrs of work.

:

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 31st, 2006 at 08:52 PM

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 31st, 2006 at 08:59 PM

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 31st, 2006 at 09:00 PM

[ Edited on 31/1/2006 by bajachris88 ]

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on January 31st, 2006 at 09:04 PM

Error

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top