Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1338 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 64660 ]
Author: Subject:  Radiator into type 3 square?
MemberRota_Motor

No Avatar

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 28th, 2007 at 06:55 PM
Radiator into type 3 square?

as ut says, investigating powering up the spare parts car, its driveable, but the engine is already spoken for.

thinking putting 12A or 13B in, because I have them sitting in the shed.

I dont want to cut up the body anymore than absolutely necessary.

so where have people fitted water cooling radiators to type 3s, preferably up the back. I was thinking maybe inside the rear guards behind the louvres?
MemberRota_Motor

No Avatar

posted on August 30th, 2007 at 09:45 PM

so I'm taking it that everyone just fits the engine to the back, and cuts a flippin geat hole for the radiator in the front when fitting other engines to type 3s??
Memberpod
A.k.a.: paul mrvw061
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
i`ve got to finish this thing one day

Threads: 145

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: could be better

posted on August 30th, 2007 at 09:54 PM

Klaus on this forum has one ,and didnt the type 3 being done by wayne penrose in the vwma mag got one too?
try this thread
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=62108&page=1#pid587676 

[ Edited on 30-8-07 by pod ]

meetings 1st sunday of the month
check wbsite for location
All Welcome
http://www.flatfour.org/ 
and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FlatFour 
Memberbaybuscamperkid
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
prince of insufficient light, ruler of heck

Threads: 335

Mood: transported

posted on September 15th, 2007 at 04:00 PM

no need for a big hole, the spare wheel well bolts out from the front, so some subtle tweaks to the apron would be all that is necessary. alternatively it may be worth taking a history lesson, some old morries/austins had a rad at the side of the engine bay letting air out into the wheel arches, take a look at the way they did it, with a bit of a bigger hole it maybe possible to put a small rad each side of the engine bay with air coming in from the vents and going out around the engine, or if your really tricky, you will notice that the current system has the air form both guards ducting around to that big oval rubber thingy at the back of the car that goes to the engine, why not make the hole bigger there, mount the radiator in that pening with an electric fan?

Reimagined/Recycled/Upcycled Cool
MemberRota_Motor

No Avatar

posted on September 16th, 2007 at 03:32 PM

I dont want to cut the front sheetmetal, even just the spare wheel well, I like to have a spare wheel on board in case I get a flat tyre.

and yes, I have sussed out the airflow used in the standard system, and was really trying to find out if anyone has used small radiators in the sides, or a big radiator in the hole where the standard intake is.
If I put my mind to it, I'm sure I could go very close to using the stock rotary clutch fan to pull air throughthe original ducting.

I also dont want to need to check both ends of the car for a quick oil and coolant check, as well as running metres of coolant pipes either hidden tightly where they cant be easily inspected, or open to road damage.
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on September 19th, 2007 at 10:46 AM

for airflow, the front is really the best spot. as BBCK said, you cut a small scoop into the spare tyre bay and seal the radiator into that area with as much clearancing done to the rear of it as poss.

I'd advise against side mounted rads for 2 reasons. the first is that I understand that rotors run pretty hot and I don't know if you'd get the sort of airflow you want on the sides. secondly, you'll have pipe work going everywhere trying to split between the two radiators. bleeding all that will be a real pain. the other thing is, the rear wheel arches are more vulnerable to flying rocks and the like than the front.

Some people are putting their coolent pipes through the centre tunnel, although I'd put them under the car is I were you. A bit of Ali plate will cover them nicely if you are worried about hits.

BTW, I have no spare in my buggy. I just carry tyre in a can and I've never even had to use that. Besides, you still have a whole boot area up front to put a spare in. ;)

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
MemberRota_Motor

No Avatar

posted on September 20th, 2007 at 09:30 PM

thanks for the unput, but still, at this stage, the radiator in the front is the fallback optionif I cant keep it cool enough with radiators hidden.

and doing things simply, there will be one extra radiator hose compared to a normal engine bay, and at least one less than fitting the rad up front, and with a little luck, I'll be able to check the entire cooling system and engine levels from one end of the car.

Go To Top