Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 306924 | Total Replies: 964 | Thread Id: 66140 ]
 Pages:  1  ..  19  20  21  22  23  ..  33
Author: Subject:  2443 Twin turbo street bug project, back on track again.
Member2443TT
A.k.a.: Ian
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 68

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 30th, 2009 at 06:40 PM

Quick update...

Made a little progress today. Match ported the intake manifolds to the intake runners, so they are now match the ID of the 2.5" piping i used on the intake. I need a much bigger air compressor.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intake/DSC01893.JPG

I also polished the intake manifolds a little but didnt get too caried away because I need to get the flanges faced off tomorrow so they are dead flat and seal to the manifolds properly. Still, it looks pretty on the engine. The hole for the throttle body has been cut with a nibbler. The throttle body itself is from a nissan RB30 and is 65mm ID.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intake/DSC01896.JPG

Next week im sourcing some sort of intercooler setup, and some new injector o-rings. Then I can finally start on the plumbing for fuel, oil etc.

Cheers,
Ian
Memberreub
Veteran Volks Folk
VWRX is gone...

No Avatar

Threads: 160

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on August 30th, 2009 at 07:50 PM

Hardcore dude:tu:

Reub
Memberwaltermitty
Custom Title Time!
Legend when my beer goggles are on

Threads: 268

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Hungry for mor

posted on September 26th, 2009 at 04:36 PM

Ian Im just about on the gravy stroke and you've slipped off the radar!
Update PLEASE!! Mitchell

23 windows ...8 too many!
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on September 26th, 2009 at 09:12 PM

Ok... Update time.

Ive been flat out with work lately, and had worked the last 2 weekends. Put in some rediculas hours. Cant wait for the invoices to get paid for that. One job that pretty much pays for the completion of the rest of the project no problems.

As far as VW project progress goes, ive had the flanges on the intake manifolds milled dead flat, as the heat distortion they sufferred when being welded meant that the seal to the manifolds was less than perfect. Its all great now though. The manifolds were also professionally polished (Way better than what I was able to do), and look pretty amazing.

It took some time to finalise what I was actually going to do with plumbing the intake, intercoolers and setting up the air intakes for the turbo's but I have a good plan all sorted out now. The current hold up is parts, but its all ordered and paid for now. I 600hp rated PWR barrel water/air intercooler will arrive next week some time. Then I can finish off the last of the intake piping, air boxes etc.

Here are a few pics. The camera doesnt do them justice, but the polish is pretty dam extreme... although it seems there is a layer of dust on it all at the moment too.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intake/DSC01974.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intake/DSC01973.JPG

Cheers,
Ian
MemberLIFE IN THE LOW LANE
A.k.a.: Brennden Alder
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: What Kombi wants vs what Kombi gets are nowhere near the same...

posted on September 26th, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Nice work as always Ian!! Are you making the trek down for Warwick next weekend by any chance??

[size=4] ACCEPT THAT SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIDGEON AND SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE[/size]

Alder Outlaws VW Racing - check it out on fb!!
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on October 5th, 2009 at 07:54 PM

Afraid I didnt make Warwick, though I want to next year. With luck i'll even be there with a car.

I finally finished of the left side dump pipe on the weekend. A lot of hammering, welding, grinding and die grinding later im pretty happy with the results. Infact it turned out way better and had much better clearance than the drivers side did, so I had to re-do that again too.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Exhaust/DSC01975.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Exhaust/DSC01976.JPG

And the re-done drivers side.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Exhaust/DSC01979.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Exhaust/DSC01981.JPG

Fuel system 95% finished, just need a gauge to screw into the regulator. Oil hoses started, filter mounted...

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Exhaust/DSC01977.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Exhaust/DSC01985.JPG

I should make some huge inroads with the project in the next week or so. There is a lot of parts due to arrive soon. Intercooler, oil cooler, exhaust valve, hose fittings and a lot of hose. Im finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers,
Ian
MemberTurbo54
Veteran Volks Folk

No Avatar

Threads: 268

Mood: Boost'n

posted on October 5th, 2009 at 08:14 PM

Looking great Ian, keep it up.
T54

C'mon kids gather round,
there's a new sensation hitting town,
It's moving straight, low to the ground,
it'll pick you up when your feeling down.
MemberFlintstones
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 69

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on October 5th, 2009 at 08:31 PM

Looking great Ian.
Your definitely going to need volume to fill that intake:yes:
How long do you think it'll be before she gets fired up?
Cheers
D
MemberDasdubber
A.k.a.: Alan Agyik
23 Windows of Awesome
DAS Resto Haus

Threads: 289

Mood: feeling fine...

posted on October 5th, 2009 at 08:37 PM

Fantastic work Ian, keep those updates coming!

Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on October 5th, 2009 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Flintstones
Looking great Ian.
Your definitely going to need volume to fill that intake:yes:
How long do you think it'll be before she gets fired up?
Cheers
D

Thanks guys, it had been a few weeks since ive been able to give the VW the attention it needed, between work and the other engine project ive been working on for the GTR. The other project.... http://www.odengines.com 

Realisticly I think it will probably be another 3 months. Im not planng for any more holdups but having said that now something else is sure to go wrong.

The only challange left is the induction side of the engine, and I have a pretty nice picture in my head for how its going to go... Just need to form that into reality now.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Ian
MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 30

posted on October 5th, 2009 at 09:22 PM

:crazy:popcorn is becomin alot nicer everytime i tune into this thread.....

posted on October 5th, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Would love to see your car make the trek down for Warwick next year....

[size=4] ACCEPT THAT SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIDGEON AND SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE[/size]

Memberchunks54
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 7

posted on October 5th, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Looking great....

Happiness is a Hot VW.

1954 Bug, 2276/Turbo

Turbo lag - that split second when the other guy thinks he has a chance
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on October 14th, 2009 at 08:43 PM

Hi everyone,

Finally made some progress, having had a fair amount of parts arrive in the last week.

The pressure side of the intake with the intercooler setup is for the most part sorted out. Final welds are being done with tig tomorrow. I'll be sorting out the turbo intakes tomorrow as well. There will be an air box above each turbo with a 2.5" or 3" pipe feeding the turbos going more or less straight down. Once all the pipes are welded and bolted in, a mount will rigid mount the intercooler to the gearbox to prevent anything from blowing apart when its having 30psi pushed through it.

I am still configuring the twins as a 2 stage sequential system. The left (drivers side) pipe still needs to have a valve put inline with it that is pneumatically operated. There is a 3" valve to get welded to the 3" dump pipe on the drivers side turbo too. For the most part below 4000-4500 rpm the engine will be running off the passenger side turbo, its only above that which the drivers side one will be pre-spooled and bought into the mix.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intake/DSC01997.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intake/DSC01998.JPG

Ive got the oil coolers mounted now too. After ordering a fancy one from the US, I have decided to not use it, and went back to the setup I had when the car had the 2332 turbo setup in it. After all it worked exceptionally well and never had heat regulation issues.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Misc/DSC02000.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Misc/DSC02001.JPG

Tomorrow more parts speedflow fittings are due in, so the plumbing begins.

I'd like to be spending the weekend starting on wiring but I hope to be competing in the bituamen sprints time attack event in townsville in the GTR. Fortunatly work has slacked off so I have afternoons to work on the vw nearly every day now.

Cheers,
Ian
MemberBoostn
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 28

posted on October 14th, 2009 at 08:51 PM

looking good

VOLLKOMMEN ART
nick@vollkommenart.com

Speed and Style
Membervolkdent
A.k.a.: Jason
Learner Dubber

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pica Red

posted on October 15th, 2009 at 03:09 AM

Great to watch this all come together, overwhelming if you think back to all the chassis stuff!!! Little steps go a long way, just amazing.

If you don't mind me asking, after the extra weight and complexity, how much better is A/W intercooling over A/A? I seriously looked at the same PWR intercooler before I went with a Spearco A/A, but I'm not sure I made the right decision. With the power I'm making so far (200hp), it's not been an issue, but with the projected 300 from a GT28RS I'm not sure.

I'm thinking maybe a custom intake manifold with a center inlet, straight back like yours is, then down to the turbo would be a seriously short trip.

Jason

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

If I could just get paid for my sleepless nights....
2008 BMW 335i
2001 BMW M3 'Vert
1998 BMW M3 Sedan
1960 VW Bug Bad Dub Racing
Member063bug
A.k.a.: Alan

Threads: 0

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: just crusin'

posted on October 15th, 2009 at 08:21 AM

Awesome work Ian, truely awesome.... and very interested in what you do with the cooling, what size lines, flexible, solid, what size pump you're using and where you run the lines....... hopefully most of these will be answered in photos
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on October 19th, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by volkdent
If you don't mind me asking, after the extra weight and complexity, how much better is A/W intercooling over A/A? I seriously looked at the same PWR intercooler before I went with a Spearco A/A, but I'm not sure I made the right decision. With the power I'm making so far (200hp), it's not been an issue, but with the projected 300 from a GT28RS I'm not sure.

I'm thinking maybe a custom intake manifold with a center inlet, straight back like yours is, then down to the turbo would be a seriously short trip.

Jason

Water/air arent necessarily any better than air-air intercoolers. The problem is getting the heat out of the intercooler or heat exchangers and to do that it requires airflow.

Getting airflow to a radiator/intercooler is a problem with a bug as any place you put it the airflow isnt going to be very good. By very good i mean in comparison to say a front mount intercooler in a front engine'd car. The more airflow the better. My feeling is that if its a front engine car then air-air is the go. Basically above 80km/h its very hard to beat the efficency of an air-air intercooler. Water to air just allows that heat to be dissapated remotely.

There are a few other diferences too. Water to air can have shorter piping (in some cases) which reduces lag. Heat soak can be a problem though depending on where the heat exchanger is mounted. Away from heat is ideal, or insulated if not possible. I hope that makes sense...
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on October 19th, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Update time...

I didnt get anything done on the weekend as I was in townsville racing in the last bitumen sprint series event for the year. Was good to get out of town and have a break.

So welding of the intake plumbing is now nearly finished. The valve that controls sequental operation is the only hold up to finishing it off now. That will arrive this week sometime.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intercooler/DSC02052.JPG

And what it looks like mock fitted.
http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intercooler/DSC02053.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intercooler/DSC02054.JPG

And some more speedflow stuff arrived as well. This is most of the plumbing for the pressure and scavenge side of the oil system, and the water systems for the intercooler. There is still a little more to order for the oil thermostat and oil coolers.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Intercooler/DSC02057.JPG

Thats all for now...

Cheers,

Ian

posted on October 19th, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Finish line is just that much closer to being in sight now hey Ian?? Looking the goods mate. nice!!

MemberBeetspeed
A.k.a.: Walter
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 6

posted on October 20th, 2009 at 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2443TT
Getting airflow to a radiator/intercooler is a problem with a bug as any place you put it the airflow isnt going to be very good. By very good i mean in comparison to say a front mount intercooler in a front engine'd car. The more airflow the better.

With all due respect, but I think I have found a solution that does some justice to the bug and kind-off resembles what porsche did and actually still does if I look at their rear 'spoiler' on the latest models:

Works extremely well according to log IAT's :cool:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/1303/IMG_7714-border.jpg

Always wondered why nobody used some sort of likewise intercooler location..

But still an awesome project, really curieus what the twin turbos will do!

'75 1303 'Renner' 2.2 T4 turbo
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on October 20th, 2009 at 02:11 AM

I'll pay that. I saw that setup on STF a while back. But Ive already got a nice carbon fibre engine lid though and dont want to go chopping holes in it. I never really liked the porsche style wings on the beetles either. Its just a personal taste thing.
Membervolkdent
A.k.a.: Jason
Learner Dubber

Theme: UltimaBB Pica Red

posted on October 20th, 2009 at 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2443TT
Quote:
Originally posted by volkdent

Jason

Water/air arent necessarily any better than air-air intercoolers. The problem is getting the heat out of the intercooler or heat exchangers and to do that it requires airflow.

Getting airflow to a radiator/intercooler is a problem with a bug as any place you put it the airflow isnt going to be very good. By very good i mean in comparison to say a front mount intercooler in a front engine'd car. The more airflow the better. My feeling is that if its a front engine car then air-air is the go. Basically above 80km/h its very hard to beat the efficency of an air-air intercooler. Water to air just allows that heat to be dissapated remotely.

There are a few other diferences too. Water to air can have shorter piping (in some cases) which reduces lag. Heat soak can be a problem though depending on where the heat exchanger is mounted. Away from heat is ideal, or insulated if not possible. I hope that makes sense...

Thanks Ian, yes it does, and that is my thinking too. I'm going to be putting scoops in the quarter windows and I cut my car up a lot more than you did, so it works for me, but for a relatively conservative install I think it can't be done any better than yours! I appreciate the feedback, sometimes it's difficult to make decisions when your doing things as off the beaten path as ours...

Jason

If I could just get paid for my sleepless nights....
2008 BMW 335i
2001 BMW M3 'Vert
1998 BMW M3 Sedan
1960 VW Bug Bad Dub Racing
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on October 23rd, 2009 at 04:14 PM

Update time...

Made quite a lot of progress this week.

The oil returns for the turbo's to the rocker covers are now finished, and ive had fittings welded onto the valve covers for the scavenge stages on the dry sump pump. Most of the oil plumbing is now completed too. Ive got the valving for the sequential setup 1/2 finished, and the entire intake side is finished and just needs a few silicon hoses to hold it all together now. I've just got to make a mount to attach the intercooler to the gearbox and thats it for the intake side of things.

The rocker covers are in being garnet blasted after the welding burnt a lot of the orange paint off. I'll be re-painting them next week in a black semi-gloss (not pink though I considered it for a moment).

So the engine comes out again this weekend in preporation for going in again next week/weekend when the new clutch setup arrives. Ive had Direct Clutch in brisbane customise a twin plate setup for me. Its based on a chassis shop twin plate using the revmaster chromoly flywheel and a kennedy pressure plate. The friction discs are custom and are a total of 600 grams lighter than the sinistered iron discs that kennedy had supplied. They also fixed all the machining screwups that were done to the flywheel and made it work properly. It should drive like a stage 1 clutch now but have holding power to handle 500+hp with ease.

Other cool news is I've just become an authorised workshop to perform exhaust coatings for Techline. Im going to be using the Turbo X and prevcor coatings on the turbine housings and all exhaust manifolds components on the bug. The main reason I got into this though is for my OD Engines project, so I can coat all my own exhaust manifolds and turbo's.

Sorry no pictures to show this time, but there will be a lot to show come next week.

Thats all for now.

Cheers,
Ian
Memberblahgab
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey

posted on November 1st, 2009 at 07:22 PM

hey Ian, have just finished reading your inter thread, its amazing what you've been able to do . i wish i had the skill/money to do this type and of build. bet you can't wait the get this beast on the road. keep up the good work will be following ur progess with envy :crazy:

zac
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on November 1st, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Thanks Zac.

Ive made a lot of progress since the last update, but its mostly little things and the finishing touches still need to go on a lot of it.

This weekends progress though saw the completion of the engine with the modified rocker covers fitted and the last of the dry sump plumbing completed. There is now a scavenge stage from each rocker, and a turbo oil feed return for each turbo. Here is a few pics of the engine as it is now.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Engine/DSC02079.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Engine/DSC02080.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Engine/DSC02081.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Engine/DSC02082.JPG

And here's some pics of the twin plate clutch assembly going together. These are the lightened friction discs that Direct Clutch made for me to replace the sinistered iron ones that the kenedy setup normally ships with. They had to make up the spacer ring as well, as the positioning on the pressure plate was incorrect for optimal operation.

Dave, your mate was right too. Series 5 RX7 input shafts are the same as 930 input shafts.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Clutch/DSC02060.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Clutch/DSC02063.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Clutch/DSC02064.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Clutch/DSC02065.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Clutch/DSC02066.JPG

Ive modified the bell housing a little to clear the pinion gear on the starter motor, and am having a gear extension part machined up tomorrow to sort out the starter motor/ring gear mesh issue. With that done the engine can be perminently bolted back into the car.

Other small things acomplished.... Ive now got a fuel cooler mounted in the middle of the front beam area on the fuel return line. Its borderline overkill for the low boost application, but for a high boost tune a 2nd, or much larger pump will be installed and then I will be needing it as the larger pumps tend to heat up and even boil the fuel after sustained running. Ive seen this commonly with the 044 and 040 pumps.

Started on wiring today too. The headlight wiring which is using a Xenon HID H1 setup in the 911 headlight assemblies is now installed. Im getting stuck into wiring next week. The exhaust header will be ceramic coated next week and re-fitted to the car again too. Thats all for now.

Cheers,
Ian
Memberreub
Veteran Volks Folk
VWRX is gone...

No Avatar

Threads: 160

posted on November 1st, 2009 at 10:24 PM

WOWSERS DUDE.... nice work:tu:

Reub
Membercolonel mustard

No Avatar

Threads: 51

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on November 1st, 2009 at 10:29 PM

extreme man :) love it.
MemberBeetspeed
A.k.a.: Walter
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 6

posted on November 1st, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Love your flywheel/clutch set-up!
Very curieus how the pedal feel will be for driving off from stand-still. Heard good and bad stories about not using center springs.

'75 1303 'Renner' 2.2 T4 turbo
Memberdangerous
A.k.a.: Dave Butler Muffin Man
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 178

Mood: 591

posted on November 2nd, 2009 at 05:17 AM

It looks like it is all coming together there Ian.

And that is a damn sexy engine now too!

Aaron knew all about that series 5 rx7 inputshaft, since his bus has a 20BRotary AND Porsche trans.

Quote:
Originally posted by westi
That's mad Alan.
 Pages:  1  ..  19  20  21  22  23  ..  33

Go To Top