Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 307016 | Total Replies: 964 | Thread Id: 66140 ]
 Pages:  1  ..  21  22  23  24  25  ..  33
Author: Subject:  2443 Twin turbo street bug project, back on track again.
Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on December 30th, 2009 at 09:39 AM

One word, MASTERPIECE!
Member063bug
A.k.a.: Alan

Threads: 0

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: just crusin'

posted on December 30th, 2009 at 09:42 AM

Constantly amazed by the quantity of work and level of detail on this project :spin: :tu:
MemberFlintstones
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 69

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on December 30th, 2009 at 10:11 PM

impressive Ian.

I'm a bit concerned about the oil lines going under the spare wheel well though. You couldn't have run it behind?

Cheers
D
Member2443TT
A.k.a.: Ian
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 68

posted on December 30th, 2009 at 10:18 PM

There isnt going to be a spare wheel?

Another update.

I finished the mount for the crank angle sensor today. The sensor is actualy an ABS sensor from a porsche 944 so im keeping it german. The sensor will detect 2 bolts that are screwed into the back of the crank at 60 degrees BTDC.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Reassembly/DSCF0031.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Reassembly/DSCF0032.JPG

I also finished off the dump pipe for the drivers side turbo, mounted the wastegate actuator, and added some aluminium heat shielding. The heat shielding is a folded/laminated mix of aluminium and some sort of fibrous heat shielding material (looks like asbestos so im sure its not). They use this stuff in the XR6 turbo's from factory and its very effective. While I am hopeful the ceramic coatings will do a good job to keep the temps down, Im taking no chances with the paint being as close to the heat as it is.

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Reassembly/DSCF0033.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Reassembly/DSCF0034.JPG

Thats all for today.

Cheers,
Ian
MemberSides
A.k.a.: Dave Sidery
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 59

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Need... more... shed... time...

posted on December 31st, 2009 at 07:46 AM

Looks awesome Ian, and getting oh-so-close... do you have the "startup party" planned yet ???

;)

Any chance you could post some pics on the oil lines back to the engine ??? I'm thinking of putting my oil tank up front also, so curious to see how/where you've run your lines... the feed one mainly...

VWDCQ vice pres & web dude - vwdcqinc.org.au
Join a car club - get car peeps

My toys
'70 Hillclimb Bug 'Jezebel' w/- Haltech EFI - http://bit.ly/VwTNtQ 
'60 KG Coupe - resto kinda started
01 New Beetle - gf's car, but I turn the spanners
MemberFlintstones
Custom Title Time!

posted on December 31st, 2009 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2443TT
There isnt going to be a spare wheel?

I can see that there's no chance of that with the dry sump tank claiming the area.

It's the below pic that show's the oil line under the wheel well. I'd be worried about the oil line getting damaged if it came into contact with debris that was on the road. That's why I mentioned about routing the oil line behind the wheel well...

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Reassembly/DSCF0019.JPG

Cheers
D
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on December 31st, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Ah... Now I see what you mean. Its nearly impossible to see from that picture, but the hose is actually cable tied on top of a steel plate (not to the bodywork. Those stainless hoses will rub through anything too). Its this plate that is the lowest point on the car at the front, not the hose. The plate also supports the oil coolers inside each guard and is itself attached to the body with 8mm high tensile bolts. I wouldnt use the plate as a jack point, but the stee plate is as strong as hell, so it will take quite a hit to damage anything there. Even then the bodywork would be damaged before the hoses would be.

Today's progress saw the completion of the wastegate actuator mount for the left side turbo, and fabrication of the air intake for that turbo. Heat shielding is done as well. As has become my typical form it has turned out way better than the drivers side, so I may well be re-making the drivers side again tomorrow. Im starting to think about air boxes and air filters now too.

If only I had oil lines and an ignition system! I cant wait to hear the car come to life.

Dave, no plans for a "startup party" as of yet. Sadly there are no local VW nutters that are as into modifying their cars like I am. There is a VW club up here again now though but they arent very active. So I'll most likely just call Reub and give the engine a few revs over the phone and post a bunch of video on the internet.

My usual tradition when starting up a new engine is get it running, do the cam break in, oil change, and then drive to the service station without the engine lid on (hopefully avoiding police), and buy a coke. Then relax and watch passers by jaws drop when they see whats in the back of the car!

I'll be sure to post pics of the oil supply and return lines when I get to installing them.

Cheers,
Ian
Member063bug
A.k.a.: Alan

Mood: just crusin'

posted on January 1st, 2010 at 09:20 AM

....what no local competition and you build one of the most complex bugs in the country..... go figure :D that can of coke will taste soooo sweet
MemberFlintstones
Custom Title Time!

posted on January 1st, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
Ah... Now I see what you mean. Its nearly impossible to see from that picture, but the hose is actually cable tied on top of a steel plate (not to the bodywork. Those stainless hoses will rub through anything too). Its this plate that is the lowest point on the car at the front, not the hose. The plate also supports the oil coolers inside each guard and is itself attached to the body with 8mm high tensile bolts. I wouldnt use the plate as a jack point, but the stee plate is as strong as hell, so it will take quite a hit to damage anything there. Even then the bodywork would be damaged before the hoses would be.

Phew, that's a relief!!:)

Quote:
My usual tradition when starting up a new engine is get it running, do the cam break in, oil change, and then drive to the service station without the engine lid on (hopefully avoiding police), and buy a coke. Then relax and watch passers by jaws drop when they see whats in the back of the car!
Cheers,
Ian

The cops wouldn't even have a chance at catching you, with all that upgraded suspension, brakes and driveline:lol:;)
MemberLIFE IN THE LOW LANE
A.k.a.: Brennden Alder
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: What Kombi wants vs what Kombi gets are nowhere near the same...

posted on January 2nd, 2010 at 05:47 PM

I think i speak for most on here that if I lived close enough i certainly would book a front row seat for the start up party!! as for the drive to the servo for a Coke there had better be video footage!!

[size=4] ACCEPT THAT SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIDGEON AND SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE[/size]

Alder Outlaws VW Racing - check it out on fb!!
MemberSides
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on January 2nd, 2010 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LIFE IN THE LOW LANE
there had better be video footage!!

Oh yeah - I hope so too !!!

My toys
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on January 2nd, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Maybe I should try do one of those webcasts! Broadcast the startup of the engine live... How much of a computer geek does that make me sound like?

I nade a little more progress with the car today. I have been working on the air intakes for the turbo's and came to the conclusion that I didnt like any of the pressure side of the intake and intercoolling plumbing that I had already done. It basicly made it impossible to get good straight airflow to the turbo's. So I have re-worked the whole intake system, moved the intercooler and changed the piping around a lot.

The end result is a VAST improvement over what was there before. Everything is solid mounted to either the engine or the gearbox, so it all moves as one unit. Air intakes are 3" to 2.5" at the compressor housings and are virtually a straight line. Sorry no pictures as of yet as its all in pieces again at the moment. I need to source some more 3" stainless tube so I can finish it all off properly, so its on hold till next week now.

Cheers,
Ian
Memberhellbugged
A.k.a.: Daimo Pell
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

Threads: 116

Mood: Couldn't care less

posted on January 2nd, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Quote:

I nade a little more progress with the car today. I have been working on the air intakes for the turbo's and came to the conclusion that I didnt like any of the pressure side of the intake and intercoolling plumbing that I had already done. It basicly made it impossible to get good straight airflow to the turbo's.

o dear........chasing every last poofteenth of power now.............bloody nutbag, time to institutionalise Mr Swinkles i think
MemberBigWigRaceCars
Learner Dubber

posted on January 6th, 2010 at 04:05 AM

Wow. This is one of the best build threads I've seen. Great work! I just spent a full 1/2 day looking through this thread from the beginning (at work). If I get fired, I'm blaming you.
MemberSides
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on January 18th, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Two weeks without updates... I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms !!!

:smilegrin:

My toys
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on January 18th, 2010 at 09:58 PM

Hi all,

Ive been moving house for the last weeks but am finally in. The new shed is great too. Smaller but a lot better laid out.

I hope to be getting stuck back into the VW soon. I still need to order an ignition system and the main oil supply and return lines but thats about all thats needed to get the engine started for the first time.

The main project at the moment is un-packing, and of course I also have a fair amount of minor house repairs to do as well. There isnt enough hours in the day at the moment.

Cheers,
Ian
Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on January 18th, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Where asre your priorities? Car first!

Just kiddin, but I know I am not the only one waiting for updates here. Hope the new place is good and you are in and unpacked soon.
MemberBigWigRaceCars
Learner Dubber

posted on January 21st, 2010 at 03:53 AM

What are you planning to use for the chargecooler heat exchanger, and where will you fit it? That car is getting full.
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on February 11th, 2010 at 06:42 PM

Its been too long since being able to work on the car and post an update. After moving house I've had to make a few repairs to the new place, and that then got all out of hand like many of my projects. What started with some gardening and some roof guttering repairs turned into replacing 1600+ roofing iron screws, pressure blasting and painting the entire roof, and replacing all the guttering and flashing. Fortunatly I will be finished this weekend, so I hope to be able to spend a lot more time in the new shed in weeks to come.

Ive had another lot of earls fittings and a heap of -12 and -16 oil hose arrive for the oil supply and return lines, and have been able to finish all the engines oil lines and cooler lines. Ignition coils have arrived as well, but I still need to source an MSD DIS4 CDI unit. Here are some pics...

Earls oil thermostat attached to the return line from the oil pump diverts oil through the oil coolers if necessary and then returns to the tank. Supply and return lines will hopefully be run this weekend. The tank has a diagonal brace to make the mounts more rigid too, not that you can see it from that angle.
http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Engine/DSCF0044.JPG

All the engine oil lines, turbo oil supply lines and returns are all done now too. Only pump supply and returns need to be finished now. That and wiring the ignition system and Im pretty sure the engine will be ready to test fire.
http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Engine/DSCF0045.JPG

http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Engine/DSCF0046.JPG

This is the new setup for the intercooler. The heat barrel is mounted rigid to the gearbox, so it all moves as one unit with the engine.I've had to use silicon bends all over the place to allow joins and tight radius's, but the result is acceptable and it shouldnt blow apart once the pipes are flaired a little. This revised setup allows a 3" air intake directly into a 3" to 2.5" elbow to feed each turbo. Meaning virtually no intake restriction at all.
http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Engine/DSCF0047.JPG

This is the new shed! Car one side, workshop the other side. I stil need to unpack but that wont stop me from working on the car once time permits again.
http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Engine/DSCF0048.JPG

Hope to have another update on sunday night.

Cheers,
Ian
Memberreub
Veteran Volks Folk
VWRX is gone...

No Avatar

Threads: 160

posted on February 11th, 2010 at 06:47 PM

Looks pretty serious dude. Man is this thing going to be scarey :yes:

Reub
Membervassy66T1
A.k.a.: Marcus Vass
Veteran Volks Folk
Wow ... are U reading this?

Threads: 76

Mood: Happy to own a VW

posted on February 11th, 2010 at 07:51 PM

Ian, I shake my head in awe every time I see this car.

Great work and your perseverance is commendable/outstanding!!

Can't wait to see it one day.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/vassy66T1/SignatureAVDmod1small.jpg

MemberSides
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on February 11th, 2010 at 08:29 PM

Looks awesome Ian !!!

:tu:

Any chance of some pics on where you've run your oil lines from the front to the rear... and have you gone braided for the full length, or hardline for the majority of it with the braid just at either end ???

My toys
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on February 11th, 2010 at 09:25 PM

Brilliant work Ian :tu::tu::tu:

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberOllie
A.k.a.: Ollie Clarke
Insano Dub Head
Yeah Buddy

Threads: 122

Mood: Hungry for another 676cc

posted on February 15th, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Woah...

Words can't describe how amazing this car is.

I just spent half of "Tango and Cash" (It's playing on Channel 9 - don't judge me!) flicking through this entire thread and can't believe this car is coming together so well! The fact that you have my favorite car in the world (R34 GTR) and an insane bug makes me green with envy! I can't wait to see the updates continue to filter through amongst the admiration from every follower on here.

On a side note, what mods have you done to Godzilla?

Cheers,
Ollie

Follow the Photo Fun:
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=95238 

- '70 1500 Beetle (The Clean One)
- '76 1300 Beetle (The In-between One)
- '69 1500 Beetle (The Mean One)
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on February 15th, 2010 at 08:20 PM

Sorry but no update. I spent the weekend workiing on roof doing guttering and flashing, and am now very close to having it all sorted out. I dont think I ever want to do this kind of work again though with any luck i'll be done with the house repairs before the weekend and I can start to play with cars again.

Quote:
Originally posted by OMClarke
Woah...

Words can't describe how amazing this car is.

I just spent half of "Tango and Cash" (It's playing on Channel 9 - don't judge me!) flicking through this entire thread and can't believe this car is coming together so well! The fact that you have my favorite car in the world (R34 GTR) and an insane bug makes me green with envy! I can't wait to see the updates continue to filter through amongst the admiration from every follower on here.

On a side note, what mods have you done to Godzilla?

Cheers,
Ollie

Thanks Ollie, glad you enjoyed the read.

My R34 is only mildly tuned at the moment. Its was a standard R34 GTR S-Tune which basicly means all Nismo factory options (S-tune suspension, carbon fibre bits and v-spec aero parts, and side and front airbags). So its like a vspec but without the active LSD and with all the sound proofing.

Ive since added a tunable ecu, slotted rotors, wideband AFR system and a Nismo 80mm exhaust. Ive also built a pretty crazy 450kw engine upgrade for it too, but that project is on hold till the VW is running. Have a look at http://www.odengines.com  if your interested in it, thats my other sideline "project". Too many projects...

I race the R34 in sprint events occasionally. It is truely an awesome car to drive. There is nothing ive ever driven or been in that feels so planted and controllable. They are a car that you can safely push beyond the limit. While a 2wd car would be off the track, the gtr just keeps on giving. They do eat tyres though. 6 sprint events per year, 4 x 4 lap runs at each event and it will totally destroy a set of tyres.
MemberOllie
A.k.a.: Ollie Clarke
Insano Dub Head
Yeah Buddy

Threads: 122

Mood: Hungry for another 676cc

posted on February 17th, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Quote:

Have a look at http://www.odengines.com 

Hell yeah...

Follow the Photo Fun:
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=95238 

- '70 1500 Beetle (The Clean One)
- '76 1300 Beetle (The In-between One)
- '69 1500 Beetle (The Mean One)
MemberMartin Taylor
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 17th, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Awesome work, some fantastic fabrications going on!

Just a little info for you we used the largest PWR intercooler on one of the turbo cars over here, it was next to useless, air temps were over 85oC at the top of the 1/4

switched over to a HKS unit and it never went over 21oC.

good luck with it, looking forward to seeing the results of twin turbos.

Regards

Martin

Martin

9.83 on street tires and 98 octane pump gas
Member2443TT
Fahrvergnugen

posted on February 18th, 2010 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Taylor
Just a little info for you we used the largest PWR intercooler on one of the turbo cars over here, it was next to useless, air temps were over 85oC at the top of the 1/4

switched over to a HKS unit and it never went over 21oC.

I ran a smaller PWR barrel cooler in my 2332cc turbo vw engine. I found the efficency of it to be very good, as over a 1/4 mile blast the air temp would only rise about 4-6 degrees over ambient temps. I used a 10 litre coolant resivour as well though to help slow heat soak of the coolant though too. Setup is everything.

If it was a front engined car you ar referring to that you then switched to a HKS core, then your 100% right. Its hard to go past the quality of those units. I had one in my R33 GTR and it would always sit very close to ambient temps, provided you had some good forward momentum. Anything above 80km/h and a good front mount is unbeatable.

Shame the VW's have no frontal area for mounting a decent size air-air intercooler. Unless you want to put in a core in a wing over the engine like they do on the turbo/GT2 porsches.

I had a break from working on my roof guttering and flashing today (its still not finished), and instead started plumbing my oil lines at last. After much consideration I have decided to not run the hoses through the heater channels. There is too much risk of kinking a hose. Instead they will be running down the pasenger side of the car next to the heater channel.

Here are a few pics.

Bulkhead fittings. -12 return, -16 supply lines. I used black nylon hoses as the intention was to run them through the heater channels and stainless braid tends to rub through everything it touches. Nylon wont damage what it comes into contact with.
http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Plumbing/DSCF0057.JPG

-16 from the tank so there is as little restriction as possible on the supply side of the pump.
http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Plumbing/DSCF0059.JPG

And finally how it looks with everything bolted back together.
http://users.on.net/~iswinkels/Hosted/Plumbing/DSCF0060.JPG

More fittings are on order to finish the rest of it off.

Cheers,
Ian
MemberMartin Taylor
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 19th, 2010 at 08:59 PM

The car in question was in a beetle. we convert the HKS intercoolers into charge coolers by welding a jacket on them

the turbo is a 40/94 hybrid from the the 40/88 Garret roller bearing unit. Running 28 psi of boost generating 540 rwhp.

the water pump for the intercooler is a davis craig 110 ltr/min pumping from a storage(ice) tank in the car. using -16 hoses

we were just disappointed with how it performed. the hks unit has nailed it now

Great thread by the way ;)

Martin

Martin

9.83 on street tires and 98 octane pump gas
MemberSides
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on February 20th, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Yikes... -16 supply lines, that's some serious flow you're gonna have !!! Very neat too how you've run them... more things to throw into the thinking for mine.

Keep up the brilliant work Ian... tho we all know that you will... I for one am eagerly waiting to read an "it's alive !!!" post...

:tu:

My toys
 Pages:  1  ..  21  22  23  24  25  ..  33

Go To Top