Author: Subject:  Driving the old girl from BNE -> Alice Springs
Memberbenno_h
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

Theme: XMBX Pro Green

posted on August 5th, 2008 at 07:03 PM
Driving the old girl from BNE -> Alice Springs

Am I crazy? She's a '58 Beetle and has had a few issues in the past, but nothing major. The basics (engine, gearbox etc) are pretty solid. Newish carby, alternator (hope I'm not stressing it out too much with the stereo though), front wheel bearings, plenty of meat on the brake pads...

I'll be leaving in September and returning in October.

So I guess I have a few questions:

1. Any real reason I shouldn't? Aircooled engines in the heat etc... spare parts in the outback....

2. Any advice for preventative maintenance? I've got the rest of this week off and I'll spend some of it working on the car... general service and raise the suspension a few inches etc.

3. Spare parts suggestions for the trip? I have the usual fanbelt and ignition components obviously but any other suggestions would be welcomed.

4. Advice on a good route to take, sights to see along the way etc would be greatly appreciated. I have a week to get out there. I'll have to drive back in about three days though.

FWIW I am crazy and it'd be a bit of an adventure :cool:

Oh yeah, one last question:
How the F***** do I get the spring back in to hold the decklid open!!!!!???????

Thanks everyone.
Memberrocknrob
A.k.a.: Rob
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 90

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black
Mood: mystic

posted on August 5th, 2008 at 09:06 PM

idrove back from Uluru to Gold Coast in february in three days. the roads are fantastic:tu: even so you are an awful long way from anywhere most of the time:)
Memberbenno_h
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on August 5th, 2008 at 09:10 PM

Sweet, thanks mate. What did you do the trip in?
Memberbond
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 166

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 5th, 2008 at 09:12 PM

he did the trip in his dreams
Memberbenno_h
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on August 5th, 2008 at 09:14 PM

Heh, I hear it's a comfortable way to travel ;-)
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on August 5th, 2008 at 09:25 PM

yea u lay down and close ur eyes most of the way, its great!

necessity: RACQ membership for roadside assistance :P :tu:

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Memberrocknrob
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 6th, 2008 at 06:47 PM

I did the trip in "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" which is my daughters little mitsubishi...she had been working out there 3 years and didn't want to drive home...can tell you the places for a cool swim:tu:
Memberrocknrob
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 6th, 2008 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris88
yea u lay down and close ur eyes most of the way, its great!

necessity: RACQ membership for roadside assistance :P :tu:

roadside assistance....hahahahahahahahahaha
MemberOZ Towdster
A.k.a.: Andrew Westwood
Custom Title Time!
Keen to finish some projects

Threads: 132

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Having fun in our great land

posted on August 6th, 2008 at 07:02 PM

Spare throttle and clutch cables , wheel bearing grease , oil , brake fluid , 3metres of 2mm fencing wire to make anything from another thottle cable to just some thing to hold something else on , 1/2 metre 6mm fuel hose , plugs , points , condenser , spare long and short plug lead + coil lead , coil ,fuel pump and basicully give the car a really good look over , and replace anything that needs it now instead of the side of a deserted road somewhere out there .
I know the list sounds over the top but as you have already suggested there is not VW shop out there anywhere to by the odd bob or bing so best you take it with you , even if its a secondhand one , just as long as its good and works.
Also how good are your tyres including the spare as again a 165 / 15" tyre is not going to be real easy to find in woop woop

Don't let body work get in the way of real suspension travel
Memberamazeer
A.k.a.: Surly Duff
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 387

Mood: bitter

posted on August 6th, 2008 at 07:04 PM

roads are fantastic? have changed since I last ventured through western QLD . They were SHIT! You get used to driving on the best roads in Australia in NT and then while reading the welcome to QLD sign you either lose your car in a pot hole or get run off the narrow road by a roadtrain. I've done it twice. Your car wont notice the difference driving along the Pacific Highway or the Stuart Highway.

Although I just realised that it was 11 years ago. hmm ive been married far too long. :smirk:

no such thing as deserted roads if you are staying on the tar.. cars and trucks every 5 minutes.

http://users.tpg.com.au/berzerk/Chris/images/polo/banner2.jpghttp://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/157217.png

Memberrocknrob
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 6th, 2008 at 08:45 PM

nope....no car and trucks every 5 minutes...try 5 hours....it's f**king deserted out there...be prepared to abandon your car if it fails...recovery costs will be more than it is worth...if you can get recovery.....don't believe me? do the drive....heheh:lol:
MemberVeeRod
Casual Dubber

Threads: 5

posted on August 7th, 2008 at 02:40 AM

Totally agree about how crap Qld roads are out the back especially. I came across more than one cattle grid with at least a 10 inch gap in the middle (running parallel with the road) so motorbike riders beware!

I would take a can of tyre sealant as well as tyre plugs etc if your running tubeless tyres.
Make sure your timing is spot on too as the engine temp will creep up at highway speeds.
Watch out for Roo's, cattle, Emu's and Camels spesh on dusk.
I just rode my VW powered Trike across Australia last month and the 1916 run fine at 110 the whole way mind you the 58 should be just as tough.

Have fun and good luck chief...

Quote:
Originally posted by amazeer
roads are fantastic? have changed since I last ventured through western QLD . They were SHIT! You get used to driving on the best roads in Australia in NT and then while reading the welcome to QLD sign you either lose your car in a pot hole or get run off the narrow road by a roadtrain. I've done it twice. Your car wont notice the difference driving along the Pacific Highway or the Stuart Highway.

Although I just realised that it was 11 years ago. hmm ive been married far too long. :smirk:

no such thing as deserted roads if you are staying on the tar.. cars and trucks every 5 minutes.

Proud Owner of a 1971 VW Superbug and a 1916 powered Trike :yes:

Go To Top