Super Moderator
Volatile

Rank Avatar

Threads: 52

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: shiny

posted on June 5th, 2003 at 09:48 PM
Crankcase breather capping/return thing

What would happen if i blocked off my crankcase breather on the oil filler neck? if it's bad... what is the easy way to make a cheapo oil return reservoir thingy for racing compliance? anyone been down that path with their beetles recently? cams said a coke bottle even would do, but i'm still wondering how i'd do that... besides, i have too many coke can aluminium related mods in my engine bay already... may have to start paying a licensing fee:D
any thoughts or experience would be appreciated :thumb

let sleeping dubs lie
MemberBiX
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 154

posted on June 5th, 2003 at 10:26 PM

don't block it off!! if u do, u will have the oil coming out other places eg the seals. I have seen a cooke bottle used, simply run a decent sized hose from the breather and down into the bottle, but leave a bit of space in the open to let air out. this way any oil vapour will just go into the bottle and the oil will settle out. it may not look racey but it will work.

Now to do it properly, the best bet is to get a custom box made. This can be in any shape. Should be about 1L at least. Now i had one which is made from a piece of 3inch exhaust pipe which is layed on its side, and had the inlets and the outlets welded on top. I have this mounted arcoss the top of the fan shroud. While ur at it set up a breather system for the tappet covers aswell.

i will try and get photo's for u.

sorry for the length. iam in the middle of bull^$^ting may way through 2 3000 word assignments for uni.

[Edited on 5-6-2003 by BiX]
MemberKruizinKombi
A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Mood: Indifferent

posted on June 5th, 2003 at 10:53 PM

I seem to remember Wes had some good info on his breather system on his website... :)

Kruizin Kol

Go To Top