Author: Subject:  Is a EA81 worth it?
Memberodnet
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on February 16th, 2009 at 11:09 AM
Is a EA81 worth it?

Hi, I have looked at a lot of different Subaru engines for my Superbug. The engine bay has been modified to fit an EA82 but I can seem to find one for sale in decent condition. I can get an EA81 that's good but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
I could just put my VW 1600 in the car. Would an EA81 be much better power wise?
What about fuel economy? I don't need a really quick car. And I will drive it a lot so I want something that will last. Please help me as I don't have any idea on what would be the best course of action to take.
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on February 16th, 2009 at 02:15 PM

PUT AN EJ22 IN IT!!! :yes:

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Memberfroger
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 19

posted on February 16th, 2009 at 03:59 PM

Yeah it would be if you already have the adaptor plate and flywheel , or can get them cheap , the motors are starting to get a bit old now and a little harder to get , but there still out there .
I had an ea81 in my 58 beetle 10 years ago and it shit on the old 1600 vw motor that was in it (no offence to the vw motor people }, and was good on fuel from memory ,, I still have the adaptor and another motor thats sitting in my split ute , to move it around the farm , I wouldn't hesitate leaving it in the ute or putting it in my oval , which evers ready for the road first ..( that being said , without cutting anything on the oval or split for the radiator to fit if possible )
I also have an ej20 T in my 89 transporter , which is also much more fun then the old 2.1 and pretty much on par fuel wise with the old motor , and much cheaper to replace if it shits itself .
Anyway go for it if you can get your hands on the bits cheap , it's a good conversion ,, otherwise go for something a bit later .... :cool::cool:
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on February 16th, 2009 at 07:00 PM

Personally, I would go the original 1600 with good bits added.

The other option would be the EJ22, but it is a much bigger course of action. The EA series to me is wasted effort. You get a certain amount of extra, but it is just not worth the effort. So in short my option would be EJ22 or EJ20T OR hot Type 1 being an 1835 or 1916.

I would lean towards the hot type 1 in a beetle, and an EJ22 in a bus.

MemberStenGuns
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 236

posted on February 16th, 2009 at 07:27 PM

the EA81 is a pushrod engine and Im not sure if you'll find one in reasonable nick.. The subaru Brumby's (4wd) had them I think and I have driven a type 2 with an EA81 donk in it.. went well enough..
The EA82 was a different beast altogether.. had an overhead cam and a fair bit more horsepower.. also EFI if I'm not mistaken.. No idea on reliability..

Look.. If you have a cheap EA81 and all the mods and plumbing are in your bug.. why not give it a go.. should be good for about 80 horses
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on February 18th, 2009 at 07:38 PM

i didnt think it was worth it either till i saw how much abuse the one fitted to Gordons yellow convertible baja bug took

it was all standard cept for a weber and twin cannons and with 4 of us in flogging around the gold coast it really impressed me how well it pulled and the torque especially considering that thing had big mud tyres on it too
MemberBugaru03
Commited Dubber

Threads: 5

posted on February 19th, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I would definatelly go with a EJ series which has more benefits than the old EA series.

...always there is someone faster than you...

http://www.bugaru.gr 
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder
I never said, I could write or spell

Threads: 280

Mood: Happy

posted on February 21st, 2009 at 07:47 PM

EJ22 motor & vw adapter plate & fly wheel

FS : EJ22 motor c/w full harness ecu
$600.00

C/w vw adapter plate & fly wheel
$450.00

seagull : 0407074141
Perth

:lol::crazy::lol::crazy::lol:
car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
MemberMidlife crisis
Veteran Volks Folk
Nartispuddlejumper, Bureau of Toxicity

Threads: 160

Mood: Wornout and Toxic

posted on February 21st, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Ok.

This is just what I have found while running the EA81 in my BAJA.

To start with my engine has a Webber 32/36 and a Turbo/torque cam.

I got it of a Guy on another forum 2nd hand and have been running it for 3 years on and off road as my main drive.

It has plenty of power and torque to get me into trouble in saying that a EJ engine has more .

in that three years and at times well a lot of the time I have give it bloody hell with never a miss from the engine it just keeps giving.

Apart from normal services and oil changes I have had nothing to do on the engine.

The other thing I like is that it is still a basic engine and is easy to do anything on if you need to.

So for me I will be building over time another ea81 but just a bit more after market stuff to make it go harder so that when the one in the car gets a bit lazy I car just swap over and then rebuild the old one.

This is just my thoughts and it is not what most people would do but I am just a toxic old fart stuck loving carbs.

Marc

If you can't laugh at yourself you can't laugh at anyone else! Because life is to short not to LAUGH
Memberphilsmanx
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 53

Mood: excited

posted on February 22nd, 2009 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Midlife crisis
Ok.

This is just what I have found while running the EA81 in my BAJA.

To start with my engine has a Webber 32/36 and a Turbo/torque cam.

I got it of a Guy on another forum 2nd hand and have been running it for 3 years on and off road as my main drive.

It has plenty of power and torque to get me into trouble in saying that a EJ engine has more .

in that three years and at times well a lot of the time I have give it bloody hell with never a miss from the engine it just keeps giving.

Apart from normal services and oil changes I have had nothing to do on the engine.

The other thing I like is that it is still a basic engine and is easy to do anything on if you need to.

So for me I will be building over time another ea81 but just a bit more after market stuff to make it go harder so that when the one in the car gets a bit lazy I car just swap over and then rebuild the old one.

This is just my thoughts and it is not what most people would do but I am just a toxic old fart stuck loving carbs.

Marc
no need for a diagnostic computer when you break down either

on the rebuild ej25 monster bug on the way
Memberphilsmanx

posted on February 22nd, 2009 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
i didnt think it was worth it either till i saw how much abuse the one fitted to Gordons yellow convertible baja bug took

it was all standard cept for a weber and twin cannons and with 4 of us in flogging around the gold coast it really impressed me how well it pulled and the torque especially considering that thing had big mud tyres on it too
you mean this one

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Memberkroozzn63
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 317

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: mmm coffee

posted on February 22nd, 2009 at 09:38 AM

hmm good thoughts, hmm good tip on diagnostic computer for faults that would be pain versus carbs

show us your gates
MemberMickH
A.k.a.: Michael Hutchinson
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

Threads: 29

Mood: Grow a brain...walls don't hit back...

posted on February 22nd, 2009 at 09:42 AM

EJ22 has its own diagnostics.....

tssnq.com.au
Memberphilsmanx

posted on February 22nd, 2009 at 12:23 PM

oh great!

Memberphilsmanx

posted on February 22nd, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MickH
EJ22 has its own diagnostics.....
so if i had a whole 92 liberty and sherman adaptor kit is it a fairly simple swap ...baja is wired for ea81

Membersinecure
A.k.a.: Sin
Custom Title Time!
Want another... :(

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Low, slow and SAD to see it go.

posted on February 22nd, 2009 at 09:34 PM

I run an EA81 in my 1300kg type3 kitcar. I love it. Stacks of torque, enough go, super reliable and cheap to maintain. No ECU, air or speed sensors, fuel surge tank/return lines etc., just so much simpler and cheaper than an injected transplant for the home mechanic. Used a lot in light aviation too due to its uber reliability.

Can still be bought totally remanufactured for less than $1500 complete long motor. Stock engine is 90-100hp, depending on which of the numerous factory manifold/carb setups (two different manifold carb flange bolt spacings, 4 different carbs) it has, and the exhaust. Add a Sherman adaptor, an auto electrician, some exhaust work and some cooling and you've got a brand new, super reliable engine and double your hp for MUCH less than a tough VW donk build.

A POSSE AD ESSE.

I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
Memberphilsmanx

posted on February 22nd, 2009 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sinecure
I run an EA81 in my 1300kg type3 kitcar. I love it. Stacks of torque, enough go, super reliable and cheap to maintain. No ECU, air or speed sensors, fuel surge tank/return lines etc., just so much simpler and cheaper than an injected transplant for the home mechanic. Used a lot in light aviation too due to its uber reliability.

Can still be bought totally remanufactured for less than $1500 complete long motor. Stock engine is 90-100hp, depending on which of the numerous factory manifold/carb setups (two different manifold carb flange bolt spacings, 4 different carbs) it has, and the exhaust. Add a Sherman adaptor, an auto electrician, some exhaust work and some cooling and you've got a brand new, super reliable engine and double your hp for MUCH less than a tough VW donk build.
think im with you man im no efi tech and i need bullet proof:punk:

Memberfroger
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 19

posted on February 24th, 2009 at 09:24 PM

Hey Mick , where can I get the fresh motors you mentioned , or new parts for a rebuild , I have a couple of ea's sitting around I wouldn't mind rebuilding , if anyones else has got some info pass it on ... cheers
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on February 25th, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sinecure
Can still be bought totally remanufactured for less than $1500 complete long motor.

I wouldn't touch any "remanufactured motor" if it was that cheap. I know so many people that have disasters with those sorts of engines. Why do you think it's that cheap? Answer = short cuts. :grind:

what you are really having here is a "EFI/ohc VS carb/pushrod" debate. For me, the EFI and ohc wins everytime. The only time the car didn't get me home was when I gave the ECU a bath. Let's say I won't make that mistake again. However there is nothing stopping you carrying a spare ECU. They'd be as cheap as chips for an EJ22. Re tuning, I haven't had to tune my car in four and half years and the ECU tells me when something isn't working right. Sure, I've had a few little dramas with my engine, but they were nothing I wasn't able to solve without help from forums such as this and people know the EJ series engine these days much better than when I did my conversion.

Go the EJ22, you won't regret it. I haven't heard anyone who's done the conversion say, "I wish I'd gone with an EA series motor". There's the real proof I reckon.

p.s. for $1050 from Seagull how can u go wrong?

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Membersinecure
A.k.a.: Sin
Custom Title Time!
Want another... :(

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Low, slow and SAD to see it go.

posted on March 1st, 2009 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by froger
Hey Mick , where can I get the fresh motors you mentioned , or new parts for a rebuild , I have a couple of ea's sitting around I wouldn't mind rebuilding , if anyones else has got some info pass it on ... cheers

Forgiveness request. Checked my reciepts and $1500 was to totally rebuild my engine (in an almost two year old quote). The exchange price for a remanufactured complete long was $2300 (again, almost two years ago).

Sorry for the misinformation. For some good news, there was an EA81 Leone with 'very good mechanicals' in the next to last Trading Post for $450 ono. Two 89 sportswagons in the current issue with blown gearboxes for $500 the pair. "Low KM" engines from importers as low as $850 with 3 month warranty. The Australian Rotorcraft websites and associated forums, and ausubaru.com usually have some EA's and parts for sale cheap too (QLD - a good running EA81 for $100 on ausubaru a couple of days ago).

A POSSE AD ESSE.

I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
Memberphilsmanx

posted on March 20th, 2009 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel

just bought an ea81 wit 88500 original kms for 350 goin back in that baja

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Go To Top