Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 643 | Total Replies: 3 | Thread Id: 76278 ]
Author: Subject:  How much Kg's over stock motor can u go with aftermarket WITHOUT bracing?
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on May 1st, 2009 at 04:17 PM
How much Kg's over stock motor can u go with aftermarket WITHOUT bracing?

This is an expensive question i guess because it would involve consultation with an appropriate engineer.

Its just you see people putting in heavier kombi gearboxes and kombi type 4 motors, which adds extra weight and i don't seem to see any extra bracing fitted to assist the stock frame horns and what not in taking the load.

I'm just curious and am assuming that perhaps there migjht be some figure's or percentages used in the industry.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Chris.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on May 2nd, 2009 at 08:41 PM

Chris, you'll find alot of them run kafer bars
MemberOZ Towdster
A.k.a.: Andrew Westwood
Custom Title Time!
Keen to finish some projects

Threads: 132

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Having fun in our great land

posted on May 2nd, 2009 at 09:25 PM

Chris ,
This will not need any engineering approval , but yes bracing the back end of the rear frame horns is a good idea especially as your car is an offroad baja.
The easiest and cheapest way to do this on your car would be to run some 50 x 6 mm flat bar full width of your rear parcel compartment floor abve and below bolted through with some M8 high tensile bolts , from the bottom of said flat bars run some 32mm erw tubing down to the tops of the horns , and weld in place being carefull not to obstruct any other companent not yet in place .
Finally if it suits also tie these bars into the rear engine cage or mabey even keep them seperate from the upper body and just use the engine cage as your support base , either way it will help greatly.

Andrew

Don't let body work get in the way of real suspension travel
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on May 3rd, 2009 at 07:56 PM

Thanks guys,

And thanks Andrew for the great detailed answer. I appreciate that. It would certainly add to the strength, and even if i run a stock 1600 type 1 motor setup, i will consider because the first 67' baja i had only had a 1300cc but still managed to have bent and cracked frame horns.

Thanks heaps.
Chris.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!

Go To Top