Author: Subject:  The Subabeetle project
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on August 3rd, 2010 at 01:15 PM

Now not to be outdone by a certain other subabug owner I'll also do a Valla trip report....

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/Buggin_74/Lbug/Valla016.jpg

I'm really happy with how it went all weekend.
I convoyed from Ballina to Grafton before sitting on 75-90 got too much and i left them behind.

Filled up at Coffs and that tank got me from there to valla, all the weekends running about and back to Grafton and was still half full.

To my amazement it returned 7.1L/100km on that tank
Surprised me cos I sat on 110km on the highway and gave a few people some joyrides taking if faster in 3rd gear than a 1600 bug can normally do in 4th

I filled it with premium on that tank too but i dont think it would have had that much effect as it was already half full of regular.

But I decided to try for an economy run between grafton and ballina so just took it easy sitting on 100km/h and not nailing it passed all the slow cars and got 6.7L/100
I dont think it would get much better than that though, that was scone gobbling it too the extreme.

anyway It seems to have a thing for the number 80

water temp sat consistantly on 80-82

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/Buggin_74/Lbug/Valla008.jpg

and the oil temp on the same and 80psi oil pressure

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/Buggin_74/Lbug/Valla007.jpg
MemberBlueV2
A.k.a.: Mark
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 15

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on August 3rd, 2010 at 01:44 PM

They are impressive mileage figures.

Sharpbuilt V2, EJ25, Subaru 5 Speed, Falcon rear discs, Heater & A/C, Rack Steering
Membertrickysimon
A.k.a.: Simon Azzopardi
Custom Title Time!
100km/h is only 9 seconds away

Threads: 43

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 3rd, 2010 at 02:28 PM

Pfft highest wins, doesn't beat my 20L/100km.
Is 80 degree water temp not too low?

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii19/trickysimon/Beetle/sig.jpg
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder
I never said, I could write or spell

Threads: 280

Mood: Happy

posted on August 3rd, 2010 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
Now not to be outdone by a certain other subabug owner I'll also do a Valla trip report....

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/Buggin_74/Lbug/Valla016.jpg

I'm really happy with how it went all weekend.
I convoyed from Ballina to Grafton before sitting on 75-90 got too much and i left them behind.

Filled up at Coffs and that tank got me from there to valla, all the weekends running about and back to Grafton and was still half full.

To my amazement it returned 7.1L/100km on that tank
Surprised me cos I sat on 110km on the highway and gave a few people some joyrides taking if faster in 3rd gear than a 1600 bug can normally do in 4th

I filled it with premium on that tank too but i dont think it would have had that much effect as it was already half full of regular.

But I decided to try for an economy run between grafton and ballina so just took it easy sitting on 100km/h and not nailing it passed all the slow cars and got 6.7L/100
I dont think it would get much better than that though, that was scone gobbling it too the extreme.

anyway It seems to have a thing for the number 80

]

hahaha I was doing a bit more then the 110 speed limit:lol:
and noboby past me up a hill:lol::crazy::lol:
to get 7.4:blush:

:lol::crazy::lol::crazy::lol:
car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 3rd, 2010 at 04:09 PM

80c water temp is spot on optimal, the thermostat opens at 78c, anything below that is too cold, but the thermostat never lets it drop below that anyway

Proof though that you dont need a big radiator when it runs temps like that even with a tiny 1.5L mazda aluminium core rad

That probably wasn't a fair mileage test as almost any car would do well on that stretch of road
Its pretty well dead flat between Grafton and Ballina and no need to stop for anything, just slow down for a couple of 60 zones, i didnt even get out of 4th gear from one servo to another.
Id bet a 1600 vw motor would probably get similar but I guarantee a 150hp vw engine wouldn't :lol:
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder

posted on August 3rd, 2010 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
80c water temp is spot on optimal, the thermostat opens at 78c, anything below that is too cold, but the thermostat never lets it drop below that anyway

Proof though that you dont need a big radiator when it runs temps like that even with a tiny 1.5L mazda aluminium core rad

That probably wasn't a fair mileage test as almost any car would do well on that stretch of road
Its pretty well dead flat between Grafton and Ballina and no need to stop for anything, just slow down for a couple of 60 zones, i didnt even get out of 4th gear from one servo to another.
Id bet a 1600 vw motor would probably get similar but I guarantee a 150hp vw engine wouldn't :lol:

Wait until you put that Subaru top end cleaner in it :lol::crazy:

car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 3rd, 2010 at 07:38 PM

Funny you should say that, got 2 cans of the stuff here ready to go
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 8th, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Hmmmmm..... somethings missing :!:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/Buggin_74/Subaru%20conversion/100_1749.jpg
Member71-BEETLE-SEDAN
Custom Title Time!
AKA Josh

No Avatar

Threads: 108

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on August 8th, 2010 at 06:33 PM

i dont get it?
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 8th, 2010 at 06:40 PM

So I guess noone worked it out :lol:

Although a "before" shot might help

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/100_0001.jpg

I've got my new stealth radiator setup in
My existing radiator was only ever temporary, I wasnt putting lots of effort or $$ into the cooling system till I knew the conversion was a success
I guess it passes for that now so a new radiator that didnt take up so much boot space was going in.
Aside from the room the space saver takes up my boot space is now back to normal superbeetle

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv611.jpg

The radiator for those that can't pick it is from an Alfa 33

It looks tiny next to the 323/Laser radiator but its double row, so in terms of capacity its actually about 25% bigger than the Laser one.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv602.jpg

The two 9" fans cover alot more area than the single 14" fan aswell, although I'll only be wiring one for the cooling system, the other will only run on A/C request same as the standard setup
I'm pretty sure once the coolant gets over a certain temp after the main fan has cut in the computer will bring on the A/C condensor fan as well

Its the same rad thats fitted to Pauls old blue rexxy Lbug and if that one can handle the heatload of a chargecooler rad in front of it whilst doing laps of the track then I'm sure mine will be fine
the Laser radiator has proved to be way beyond adequate by the fact my fan has only come on 3 times now in 6000kms and everytime its when I'm stationary for more than 5 mins and this one is bigger again

I just have to finish off the enclosure for it
I went the waterproof ply again as its easy to work with but mainly theres no heat transfer at all

It will have a hinged lid like the other one for easy access

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv613.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv614.jpg

Whilst the coolant was drained I also made one other change
the only one weakness with my plumbing layout was the rubber elbows that went under the bulk head hung down very low

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv600.jpg

The left one has already had a brush with something at some stage

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv601.jpg

Eventually I'll end up stuck on the side of the road somewhere with a big green puddle underneath so I've replaced the rubber elbows with stainless and put the rubbber joint up above it out of harms way
The way I should have just done it in the beggining
I've also gained abit more ground clearance by doing this too

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv620.jpg
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder

posted on August 8th, 2010 at 07:23 PM

You should of ask me, as we used a radiator like that in Joshes vw toooooo :lol::crazy::lol:

Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on August 8th, 2010 at 08:34 PM

Hi Joel

That looks great, where did source the Alfa radiator from? Did you hook up the heater yet?

Steve
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 8th, 2010 at 09:06 PM

I found an Alfa enthusiast only about 10kms away from me who had 3 of them sitting in his shed, one had been reco'd and only used for a couple of hours running in an engine so I grabbed that one
and a few days prior to that I won one on Ebay as well.
I couldnt find a second hand one anywhere when I was first looking, talk about one extreme to the other

I Actually gave up on project heater for the time being.
Reason being mainly the worst of winters done now, and I;ve survived the last 3 years without heat, but also Ive had a change of mind with my layout

This was version one with the commodore heater tap and beetle vent cable.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/subi_conv625.jpg

I had originally planned to put it under the backseat and duct into the heater channels but my placement of the ECU there foiled that plan so i was just going to mount it in the parcel tray area

But Ive dropped that idea now as the A/C evaporator unit im fitting i can get with a built in heater core for an extra $10 and the heat coming out of dash vents and window defrost vents like im used to in the mainstreamer anyway would probably make for a more effective heater
Membergerrelt
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 3

posted on August 9th, 2010 at 07:21 AM

You've been bussy Joel! Nice work.

Of course I totally aprove your radiator choice! :cool:
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 9th, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I thought you might :lol:,
Actually it was seeing how well yours fit that made me realise how perfect they are for a superbeetle.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention, it's now even easier to fill the coolant up.

These radiators don't have a cap, just an air bleed hose on the top left tank, so all I do now is lift the hose on that up above the level of the header tank and fill it till the header tanks full, no bleeding needed, only took about 5 mins.

Heres a pic of the other radiator I won on ebay for those who want a closer look
You can see the air bleed port on the top left

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/Subaru%20conversion/Alfa.jpg
Membergerrelt
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 04:28 AM

Quote:

These radiators don't have a cap, just an air bleed hose on the top left tank, so all I do now is lift the hose on that up above the level of the header tank and fill it till the header tanks full, no bleeding needed, only took about 5 mins.

Yep, that's how I do it too, works perfectly (I use a bit of duct tape to attach the hose to the opened front decklid).
Only I have to squeeze some coolant hoses a little bit to make the water move around. Then the level slowly goes down in the header tank.
Must be because both my coolant pipes run over the engine to the front.
If the system is full I plug the bleed hose that's connected to the radiator and put it away somewhere on the side of the radiator.
MemberBlueV2
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Hey Joel, what are the physical dimensions of that radiator ?

Sharpbuilt V2, EJ25, Subaru 5 Speed, Falcon rear discs, Heater & A/C, Rack Steering
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Hi Mark, I'll get the exact measurements for you next time I'm in town, my bug is in the shed at the oldies place at the moment but you should be able to get a rough idea from this

Core Size: 545x245x34

http://www.nationwideradiators.com.au/rad_images/ALF01.JPG
MemberBlueV2
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Cool. No big rush, just curious.

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Oh yeah, another radiator with similar dimensions I looked into as well was from a SB Barina
or Opel Corsa for the oversea'ers

Theyre a little bit bigger but would have been overkill in my case

Core Size: 680x260x26

http://www.nationwideradiators.com.au/rad_images/HOL14M.JPG
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 01:36 PM

Hi Joel

Your new install looks so good that I'm thinking of ditching my cut down Ford Transit radiator.

The other ones that I've thought about are from Audi 100 & 200s core is 570 x 305 x 42. They come from a heavy turbo 5 cylinder car so they should be up for the job.

On my old bug the ECU controlled the fan but once the motor was off the fan stopped, I like to have a fan after run if the motor is hot enough, I used a separate sensor and only powered the fan relay when the key was removed via the extra circuit in the ignition switch.

Steve
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 02:19 PM

Theres a few other cross flow rads out there that are very low profile

the 4L Jeep Cherokees have a 250mm high rad but it's very wide and probably total overkill for a sub 2.5L engine

I always just make sure my fans cycled before I shut down, one of the joys of having a fan pilot light on the dash
MemberBlueV2
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 02:58 PM

I am running a standard Impreza radiator and it does the job very well. The fan has come on a few times on hot days when I am stuck at lights and it comes on when at Stockton after going for a hard run....but that is to be expected.
Excuss my ignorance Steve, but what is the advantage of having the fan run when the motor is off, since there is no water flow, the cooled water in the rad will just sit there until you start the motor again.

Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 03:08 PM

Hi Blue V2

Most European cars have the fan running after shut down, the coolant will still circulate via thermo syphon, it gets rid of hot coolant around the heads etc.

I used to have an Audi 200 turbo, it had a whole symphony of things happening after shut down depending on coolant temp, an electric water pump, radiator cooling fan and cool air blowers on the injectors.

Passers by would often tell that I left my car running

Steve
MemberBlueV2
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 03:14 PM

Thanks Steve. That makes sense.

Cheers,
Mark.

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 03:15 PM

I used to get the same thing with the Scoupe.
I didn't realise people thought the sound of a thermo fan resembled that of a petrol combustion engine

I'm sure it works well ina front engine arrangement but i dont know how much effect there would be when the engine is 3m down the pipeline
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 07:32 PM

we had a mix up with Joshes small Radiator
, the radiator hose fittings Were in the wrong position so he crossed pipes over under the back of car so the flow went the same way as it did in the subaru.

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 10th, 2010 at 08:22 PM

With a cross flow radiator it doesnt matter which side is in or out

With all engines the hot water outlet always comes out the top of the engines and the return to the waterpump is always down pretty low near the crank

So when the radiator is right next to the engine to keep the hoses short is the only reason a cross flow rad has one hose up high and the other down low

I've got my rad hooked opposite to what it is in the Alfa, makes no difference
This only applies to crossflow rads though, the other type have to flow top to bottom
Membergerrelt
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

posted on August 11th, 2010 at 04:11 AM

Quote:
Hi Mark, I'll get the exact measurements for you next time I'm in town, my bug is in the shed at the oldies place at the moment but you should be able to get a rough idea from this

Core Size: 545x245x34

http://www.nationwideradiators.com.au/rad_images/ALF01.JPG

I've got the measurements of mine:
Dimensions: 34 by 62 cm or 13.4 by 24.4 inch (widest points).

But my radiator looks a little bit different. De lower hose connector is not pointing to the side a bit, but points straight back.
See:

http://www.gerrelt.nl/alfa/front_radiator/radiator_in.jpg
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare

posted on August 11th, 2010 at 08:33 AM

Yours is the series 3 (91-94), the series 1 and 2 79-90 had the different ones like I've got.

Think Alfasud were the same as well I'm pretty sure.
Probably the only part of the car that didnt disintegrate on one of them
 Pages:  1  ..  16  17  18  19  20  ..  24

Go To Top