MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

Threads: 57

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Worn out, for no benefit.

posted on August 13th, 2009 at 02:36 AM
Bellhousings

So... who knows anything about the 2 options im aware of?
RJES & Smallcar...

both have pros & cons, both are difficult to find any info on, ive gotta pick one real soon & ive read everything i can find & emailed my brains out & feel like im more lost now than i was at the beginning

ps, joel, damn you for making me aware of smallcar :grind: :P

Volkswagen Drivers Club of Queensland - member :)

STIDUB - yep its still a work in progress

Vwdcq club car racing/ and crashing while my bug isn't finished.

The above are personal views, no more, no less
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on August 13th, 2009 at 07:39 AM

Hi

Are you going to use a pull clutch like the turbo motors use?

It doesn't look like the Small car one makes a provision for that, the RJES one does but it uses a specially modified cross shaft, this could be a problem down the track.

Do push the motor any further back?

Steve
MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

posted on August 13th, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I came to the conclusion that either clutch style would do the job, look how many big power bugs use a push release.
Yes using a bellhousing instead of an adapter gives you a about 10mm less overall length, so basically just what the adapter plate would of added, the combo of that & the bug nosecone with L&D intermediate gives me about 15mm less compared to a standard 091 with adapter.
Gently massaging the bug nose cone's ribs & removal of the nosecone mount on the pan i can move the box about 3" forward from looking at it yesterday.
im aiming to have the bellhousing here for when my pan gets back from customveedub but im still unsure which to go for...
the rjes car cross shaft causes an issue for strength & replacement when required
the smallcar solution to the input shaft is somewhat concerning, they add a spacer to the thing that cops all the abuse your foot gives
the rjes input shaft gives a complete input shaft so everything beyond the join between 091 case & bellhousing is subaru factory parts (excluding cross shaft)
the smallcar uses everything from off the shelf parts from vw & subaru -excluding the weird shaft spacer drama
both work with hydraulic clutch, the rjes one still has a cable option for the pull type though

It would be awesome if someone from aus had one of them already....

Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on August 13th, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Hi

They both look interesting, I'm not sure anyone in Australia has gone this route, most use a local adaptor.

I have pull clutch setup for mine with the G50.

Steve
MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

posted on August 13th, 2009 at 05:51 PM

how is the bearing moved in a g50? cross shaft? hydraulic cylinder? ill have a look on the clubvw page to see if i can work it out, reply on GL forums for you too :)

ok so the g50 used a cross shaft, now you have gone for the cylinder, why the change? the cross shaft could be used with a hydraulic aswell so surely thats not the only reason...

wish i lived in sydney some days, more people doing strange things down there, & better parts suppliers!

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on August 13th, 2009 at 08:41 PM

:blush:

be worth while PMing a few people on VWKD that run both for their opinions on them
MemberElusiveStranger
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 30

posted on August 22nd, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by STIDUB
So... who knows anything about the 2 options im aware of?
RJES & Smallcar...

both have pros & cons, both are difficult to find any info on, ive gotta pick one real soon & ive read everything i can find & emailed my brains out & feel like im more lost now than i was at the beginning

ps, joel, damn you for making me aware of smallcar :grind: :P

I dare you to name a con from RJES' bellhousing - all bar the shipping cost....

Stock VW/Subaru (#1) parts except for the bellhousing and clutch release bearing adaptor

#1: Scooby starter (heaps better than the VW starter), VW friction plate, Scooby pressure plate & flywheel (no custom jobbies there), oh there's a stock SKF bearing to locate the VW output shaft into the Scooby flywheel (hardly custom)

I don't work for Rich and I'm certainly not affiliated with him. It's a truly nice bit of kit though - might not be as easy to fit as an adaptor plate
MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

posted on August 22nd, 2009 at 11:40 AM

elusive stranger, the con for the rjes setup IS the shipping, and the exchange rate, US is closer to 1/2 the price, this is why i was researching both options to death, dont panic after MUCH reading, asking 10000s of questions rjes came out on top, helped along one hell of alot by richards prompt replies at all hours of the day/nite unlike smallcar, ask 10 questions get one answered, a week later, pretty average, considering they appear to have staff specifically for this purpose & rich seems to be a one man operation, that said i think ive overspent my fun $$$ this fortnight & the bellhousing will have to wait yet again! still emailing rich to nut out the finer details of what i can do to give him my shaft & i get a modded vw one so quality stays at the highest level.

Other drawbacks are the slave cylinder location for bleeding & heat from turbo, these can be worked around but just saying its not a flawless design so nobody gets the wrong impression

the smallcar was the mystery slave/bearing they used, couldnt tell me the fluid capacity required to use it properly & it still doesnt allow for the use of a stock subie clutch or a modded output shaft, what they do to the shaft is concerning too

at the end of the day & my 1000 emails for a month or so, i can honestly say that weighed up in theory the rjes wins hands down (ignoring cost)

adapter plates seem to be fine for everyone else but im slightly more... fussy, well picky, anally retentive at getting things right, best option etc
the idea of welded flywheels & custom clutches doesnt appeal for messing with later, i like off the shelf replacements

same theory that won me over for vwcool's brake setup, thankfully as far as bang for buck goes it also wins over the 944 etc porsche bits for my 1302
its off the original topic but if anyone wants to know why feel free to ask :)

Go To Top