Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 3895 | Total Replies: 53 | Thread Id: 79545 ]
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject:  who has an air cooled beetle as their daily driver?
MemberLukeV85
Seriously Crusin Dubber
P Master

Threads: 17

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on October 12th, 2009 at 01:28 PM

my 62 is my weekend car, i had a bora until it was written off in july. since then the bug has come into alot more use. For monday to friday i have a company car. I love to feel of an old bug, the smell of a well worn interior and side vent windows as ur air con is the best. Plus treat them right they never break down!

1962.5 VW Beetle 1200
2002 VW Oettinger Bora - Statutory Write Off
Memberdaniel7y
Learner Dubber

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 12th, 2009 at 02:56 PM

When I got my first Beetle my parents reluctantly supported me. Unfortunately at the time I didn't really know enough about them and made a rushed decision when I bought my Super. We got it pretty cheap, but the car was a mess. It needed a lot more work than we realised, and my Dad was getting fed up with the time and money spent on the car. Mechanically it wasn't quite right, the big issue being that it blew out black smoke. We took it to a regular (not air cooled VW) mechanic who couldn't find anything wrong with it. Eventually I decided to sell it and get a modern car, and now looking back I realise all of the mistakes I made.

If I had known what I know now I could have fixed up that Beetle. First off take it to a VW mechanic, that'd be a start! Also remove the ridiculously noisy exhaust it had.

So now with this previous experience my parents view all Beetles as a waste of time and money, or as they refer to them as 'shit heaps'. They also think its unreasonable to have a second car. Hopefully moving out next year so I'll have somewhere to park my two cars!!
MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Mood: Synchro'd

posted on October 12th, 2009 at 04:42 PM

That sucks about your parents Daniel. I'm 19 and have 9 cars, only 2 of them are registered though. Mum isn't particularly happy with there being so many lying around but my old man loves them too!! Mind you we do have 5 acres in town which is quite handy.

Smiley

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on October 12th, 2009 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djnee
When my kids start driving i'd much prefer them to drive an underpowered VW than some of these "hoon" cars i see a lot of P platers in here.

smart move.
the workshop i used to work at was across the road from police rostered tow holding yard and you would not beleive the amount of mangled high powered cars that came in with remnants of P plates on them that young people had wiped them selves out in

they brought out theses laws but there not policing them real well, how many skylines and WRXs do u see with P plates on them

keep working on your folks, they'll come around
hell, 8 years after i moved out there was still 2 VWs in the shed and god knows how many in peices scattered around the place and it was a struggle to get one in the first place
Member71-BEETLE-SEDAN
Custom Title Time!
AKA Josh

No Avatar

Threads: 108

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on October 12th, 2009 at 06:14 PM

Dad doesnt like me drivin it at night or long distances like over an hour caus emight crash but ive showed him the picks of joels first car and he blue baja that i saw on here and he seems to be less worried bout it. Mum doesnt worry bout it but she doesnt want any more of em cause got two now. But im getting a shed up the back so can do a subi conversion and to do up the 64 so i guess she is comin round too.
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on October 12th, 2009 at 06:51 PM

Just imagine if we all drove beetles? So much less stress.

Memberdaniel7y
Learner Dubber

posted on October 12th, 2009 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by smileyman3000
That sucks about your parents Daniel. I'm 19 and have 9 cars, only 2 of them are registered though. Mum isn't particularly happy with there being so many lying around but my old man loves them too!! Mind you we do have 5 acres in town which is quite handy.

Smiley

9 cars!! I'm just a little bit jealous lol... If we had that much space I don't think it would be as much of an issue.

I've got my eye on this : http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VOLKSWAGEN-BEETLE-1974_W0QQitemZ180417595930QQcmdZView...

Looks like a very clean and nice super. Maybe I'll just come home with a surprise... lol
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on October 12th, 2009 at 07:22 PM

That L would make a great daily :tu:

Futue te ipsum!!!
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on October 12th, 2009 at 07:22 PM

It was 11 at one point early this year, and that's just what I own. Mum has an SS, dad has a Baja and a VN Commodore ute and a VN Sedan. and my brother has a VS Commodore Ute. and my sister has a Daewoo. So it gets a little crowded at times.

Smiley

Membersander288
Custom Title Time!
"Bolt-on Master"

Threads: 183

Mood: This is my bug. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

posted on October 13th, 2009 at 08:36 AM

I drive my 67 1300 Deluxe daily, and around the state, I lived in Coffs Harbour and drove to armidale 8 times or so a year for Uni, and before that I worked in Brisbane during the holidays so my old bug has gotten up some miles as a daily, but I think it's time to put it on historic plates for a few years to drop rego costs and give it a break for little while whilst I save to do it up... It was the car I learnt on actually so i've had it for 8 years....

BMW R65 LS
1967 1300 Deluxe
Swing-axles FTW :!:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x463/sander19671988/4201806984_a2d051587f_o.jpg
Memberdaniel7y
Learner Dubber

posted on October 19th, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Tried convincing the folks again... They wont have another 'shit heap' here at the house, so it pretty much rules it out completely for me at the moment. Kind of gutted! Nothing much I can do about it I'll just have to admire other peoples Beetles lol. I just found what looks like the perfect car too: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7677504&YearFr...

Amazing original condition, nice colour and like new black interior. I should stop looking now it's only teasing myself!!

I've turned this thread into a place for me to complain haha sorry... I just want to ask something else: Who has their Beetles garaged? Those of you who don't, is rust a concern?
Membersander288
Custom Title Time!
"Bolt-on Master"

Threads: 183

Mood: This is my bug. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

posted on October 20th, 2009 at 07:15 AM

It used to be garaged when I was still living at home, but now it's in a carport, I used to work near the ocean and had to park it by the sea and rust was a concern then, but leaving it on the street i'm not too concerned but I probably should be... problem is if it's on the street covers get nicked etc.. but on your driveway is ok

BMW R65 LS
1967 1300 Deluxe
Swing-axles FTW :!:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x463/sander19671988/4201806984_a2d051587f_o.jpg
MemberDU88EN
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 8

posted on October 20th, 2009 at 07:51 AM

i'm 17 and at first my parents were sektchy about me driving a beetle (they are also about the only 40something year olds IVE met who never owned 1) so it was just something i wanted

when i drove hoome in it the day i bought it mum went from hating it to loving it and as long as i'm paying for repairs and roll down the street with my engine off after midnight they don't mind!

just go for it you WONT regret it! i can't drive a normal car these days becuse nobody looks, nobody hears, and kids don't punch each other when i drive past!!!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x153/woodpushermax/Picture11-1.png
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on October 20th, 2009 at 06:15 PM

Hey Dan, I'll drop 4 off them off at your place and see how crazy your parents go. :lol:

Smiley

Memberdaniel7y
Learner Dubber

posted on October 20th, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Hahaha sounds like a good plan Smiley. If I did get one it couldn't be garaged. Thats why I'm asking about rust... Just curious...
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on October 21st, 2009 at 05:17 PM

If it is made of iron I assure you it will rust.

Membercoletrickle
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 34

posted on October 21st, 2009 at 08:09 PM

I'm driving my bug every day today i did 110 miles in fruitloop,i think if you are driving a new car with air con you are an environmental vandal:lol: Recycle and reuse and use yor bug,what would ferdinand say if you told him you only use your beetle on weekends he would have you locked up in the nut house!
Membertakis
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 27

posted on October 27th, 2009 at 07:46 PM

I have a 69 beetle and its a daily driver, it commutes about 40 km a day..My greatest fears are heavy rain.
It hasnt let me down by the side of the road yet..
MemberMountains Greg
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 15

Mood: VW Nut

posted on October 28th, 2009 at 09:00 AM

I was driving my 1200 65 Bug daily about 30km round trip to and from work and towed my box trailer with buliding supplies etc on the odd occasion up until April last year. I then fell in love with a Mk4 Golf.
I still think the bug is alot of fun and I will never part wit it, but I was finding it difficult to keep up with constant servicing. I now treat it with the respect it deserves and it see's the road on my days off. After all even a 65 bug is getting old nowadays!
I believe the best daily driver bug would be anything post 1967 i.e. 1500 or 1600 + with the standard front disc brakes. Unless of course you have modified your early bugs brakes etc. I have had a few scary close calls in my 65 over the years. There is just too many modern cars which can stop alot faster and stupid/impatient drivers on the road now. Maybe if I can ever get my 73 Squareback on the road again I will probably use it alot more then the Golf.

If it's not in a Vee Dub I'm not going!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/VeeDubNutter/BugDriving.gif
MemberTalkieToaster
Learner Dubber

Threads: 4

Mood: Jovial

posted on October 28th, 2009 at 03:30 PM

I drive my Clementine Orange 71 Super every day!

After I finish uni I plan to take it off the road to restore it into a shiny weekend car. :)
Memberscotlander
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 28th, 2009 at 03:59 PM

I'm looking forward to using my '70 1500 single port as an everyday car, it's been through a 2 year strip down and is now being finished off.
New paint, new interior.

All I have to do now is the headlining and windows, then i can take her to a mechanic to have a health check and a new exhaust fitted then I can roadworthy again and use.

I am turning my back on company wheels for good, i'd rather drive a classic every day than blend in with the herd.plus i had too many speeding fines - living in Victoria is no fun for petrolheads.

can't wait to hear the beetle start again............

1970 - 1500 single port typ 1
Yarraville
MemberdAVo
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on October 28th, 2009 at 06:59 PM

I have a 66 as my daily. Have had it since March and have clocked up over 20,000kms. It's about an 80km round trip to work and lots of long distance weekend driving. And I bought this after selling my 2007 Nissan Tiida which I bought brand new. Major culture shock there but I don't regret it one bit.

Although I do also have a motorbike which i can use in emergencies but one hasn't come up yet.
MemberRural Baja
A.k.a.: Will Holmes
Custom Title Time!
#tassievwpickers

Threads: 122

Mood: Chop chop

posted on October 28th, 2009 at 07:55 PM

I'm going for my provisional drivers licence next wednesday and until i pick up the barina which ill be doing the test in, ive been driving the standard around town.

For a car thats 45 years old, its not too bad but like Greg said, with the other drivers on the road it makes it quite risky. I know that had i not slipped the 1641 in her, there would have been a few more frustrated drivers on the road.

When i do get my license, my daily will be a Falcon Ute, with the beetle reserved for the weekends. That way i have the best of both worlds, safety on long trips, and style around the town.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top