Author: Subject:  Lead Additives
Member65standard
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 47

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Only when I'm in it.

posted on May 27th, 2010 at 07:39 PM
Lead Additives

I know this has been covered, and I've had a read of the posts from a few years ago.

It seems that engines after 1967 had the hardened valve seats and ULP/PULP is fine to use.

The engine in my car is a stock 1200. It appears to be the original to the car but I cannot confirm it. If it is, then it was built at the end of 1964 and my car Feb 1965.

My query is about the use of fuel additive (FlashLube to be precise) in 95 fuel. Up until a couple of months ago, my regular Caltex service station was selling standard 91 fuel. I was using FlashLube with no problems. Since then they have been using E10 fuel as the standard 91 fuel, and I inadvertently filled the tank one time with the E10 and used FlashLube as I regularly do. There was no real drop in engine performance (not that there's much to drop in a 1200), but the mileage wasn't there.

I have since been using Vortex 95 as my fuel and using the FlashLube. Performance has been good and mileage improved (around 28mpg for my daily trips to and from work in general traffic on Sydney streets).

I have pulled the plugs and there is heavy carbon deposit on them. I have adjusted the carb (28PICT) and timing as always as per specs 10 BTDC and valves at .006" I never had the plugs this black before (fuzzy, not oily). Could the higher octane fuel and fuel additive make the fuel mix too rich? Would it be safe to use the Vortex 95 fuel without the FlashLube?

As is the case, regular 91 fuel will be phased out by July 2011.

Any helpful insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Norman

[size=4]If it ain't broke, fix it till it is![/size]
Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

Threads: 162

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: In 2 Minds

posted on May 27th, 2010 at 08:22 PM

save your money don't buy the additive but use the 98ron

Keeping it real !
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on May 27th, 2010 at 09:13 PM

As above, go the 98, best economy and power and pays for itself.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on May 27th, 2010 at 09:13 PM

wrong! back in the old days we could use standard fuel in our beetles but it was always recommended that we use redex fuel additive,when we were rebuilding these motors the engines using redex would have a slightly red tinge on the valve stems and also have less guide wear in relation to engines that didn't.Use the 95 fuel with the flashlube the little bug will run well on this.I recommend and fit the Flashlube kit which automatically sucks the additive from a reservoir as the engine is running.
Member65standard

posted on May 27th, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. As was stated, the car runs fine on the 95 and with the additive, but just concerned about the carbon build-up on the plugs and possibly fouling and giving me a hard time starting. I carry tools, so I won't be stranded. Just the inconvenience road side.

Grumble, I just add the flashlube at each fill-up. Generally about 35ml for each time I fill-up. It's generally about the 35-37 litres for each fill. Reserve taps are a great device for monitoring fuel.

At my next fill, I am considering not using the flashlube and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on May 27th, 2010 at 11:39 PM

I used a tank of 91 ron BP to go to the VW nationals

well it went terrible... [like a hairy goat??]

filled up at Caltex in Sydney and drive home in a different car..lol

I have never used flashlube...

LEE

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberKombi Dad
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 3

posted on May 30th, 2010 at 08:12 AM

I use Flashlube in the '63 SC and generally 98 petrol. The 98 gives the far better economy. The Flashlube was on the advice of Stan Pobjoy. The valve seats are hardened but the advice was regarding wear in the guides. For the cost of Flashlube (bought in bulk) it is a small insurance.

Ian
MemberPaulc1964au
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 59

posted on May 30th, 2010 at 08:16 AM

I also use flashtube after reading a few threads on here

MemberREDKG

No Avatar

Threads: 76

posted on May 30th, 2010 at 09:14 AM

Buy a 1 litre bottle of flashlube ($20) and decant into small 30-50 ml bottles to carry in the car for when you refuel. You will find that many new car dealers will also add a similar product when servicing. Even with hardened valve seats it will reduce wear. Avoid ethanol fuel , it does give less bang for your buck( metro 91 ron, country NSW 95ron is better) and you should check if your fuel hoses, fuel pump diaphram are compatable and if you use it all the time you should rejet your carby. Old air cooled motorcycles have similar problems. Many reports of plugs fouling with shell fuel.
Member65standard

posted on May 30th, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by REDKG
Buy a 1 litre bottle of flashlube ($20) and decant into small 30-50 ml bottles to carry in the car for when you refuel. You will find that many new car dealers will also add a similar product when servicing. Even with hardened valve seats it will reduce wear. Avoid ethanol fuel , it does give less bang for your buck( metro 91 ron, country NSW 95ron is better) and you should check if your fuel hoses, fuel pump diaphram are compatable and if you use it all the time you should rejet your carby. Old air cooled motorcycles have similar problems. Many reports of plugs fouling with shell fuel.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I used E10 by mistake as the pumps were changed after the time I refuelled and didn't see the E10 in small writing whilst fuelling. Only after I had finished.

Do you guys that use the flashlube have the same issues of black plugs with the higher octane fuels? I did fill up yesterday with Shell 95 without the flashlube. I thought I would give it a go and see how it went. The tank took just over 38 litres and I did a round trip of about 70 miles on the M5 & M7 cruising between 55 & 60mph. The engine did seem to have a slightly smoother and quicker response and doesn't smell as rich as it has been. I'll have a look at the plugs before my next refill.

I generally keep a 1L bottle of flashlube with a small bottle of 50ml graduated in 10ml I use to put in at each tank fill.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll keep posted on any updates.

Cheers,

Norman

Memberjsheppard64

Threads: 19

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Red
Mood: Akiba-Spec

posted on May 31st, 2010 at 09:37 PM

I use flashlube as damper oil for the SU
good stuff

Go To Top