Author: Subject:  Australian Type3s 1964-1968
MemberBurrelli
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 10:22 AM
Australian Type3s 1964-1968

After the debacle of me telling vicelore his car looked like a 1965 1500 when it is a 1967 1600 and a very original as well. I was thinking we could start a thread or possibly a sticky the shows the differences between these Australian cars and German ones. I think the Australian-produced type3s started at the end of July 1963. When did the CKD cars start? 1500s says 1969.

I have an as original as you get these days 1966 1600TS Fastback VW Model 312s first registed 11/66. I've read the first Australian Fastys were April 66. My dad had an earlier one than me back in the day (Black red interior:cool:)body No.316151435. Regested 9/66. Who has the oldest?

I could show some pics of what my fasty has. Vicelores car looks to be a great example of a 67 Notch and I'm sure 1500s has a heaps of stuff he could show us.

RB.
Membervicelore

Threads: 33

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 01:48 PM

Smiles all around.. Be good to get the facts out there for people rather than reading through one hundred of my posts..

Id be happy to post up some pics in here if need be

Cheers Vice..

Currently driving my 1st VW.. 67 type 3 1600..And loving it..
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 73

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 03:09 PM

Good to see posts like this so we can get info on our Type 3s. Not sure if I actually said 1969 for CKD but from Phil Matthews, to save you all sifting around looking for info, see:

====================================================================

VW Australasia announces that Australian VW manufacture would cease immediately, and all future VWs would be either CKD assembled or fully imported. The $50 million investment in the Australian plant was written off. The useful machinery, tooling and equipment is sold to VW’s other factories in South Africa, Mexico and Brazil. Other general equipment is sold to Holden and Ford. The Clayton plant was completely stripped out, and refitted for CKD assembly only.

The Deluxe Australian Beetle ends in March, and is replaced by fully imported German-made 1500 Beetles, in both manual and semi-automatic versions. Australian buyers effectively move from a 1961 to a 1968 Beetle in one month. New body shell, 53-bhp 1500cc motor, 12-volt electrics, ball joint front with twin-circuit disc brakes, new front and rear lights, safety dashboard, collapsible steering column, and many other changes. CKD kits arrive from September and local assembly of manuals begins, but semi-auto Beetles were to remain fully imported. The Australian Custom model continues to be built until all manufacturing ends in September.

The Transporter is upgraded to the T2 model, with full width curved windscreen, ball joint front suspension, four CV-joint rear suspension and 1600cc engine. These are locally assembled from CKD kits. The Type 3 range is also converted back to CKD assembly. The engines are upgraded to 1600cc across the range.

==============================================================

1969 however was when the Notch and Square had the extra "bright work" which the Fasty had from 1966.

DH
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 04:02 PM

Great 1500S. So should my post say 1963-1967? Is there Aussie cars like vices with a 318 body No.? Or did they sell 317 body No. cars into 68 to use them up? When could you buy a CKD car?
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Burrelli
Great 1500S. So should my post say 1963-1967? Is there Aussie cars like vices with a 318 body No.? Or did they sell 317 body No. cars into 68 to use them up? When could you buy a CKD car?

Would have been great if actual "first month of delivery" was able to be given instead of just year in our history although the number does give a close approximation. I have read on here somewhere that the chassis numbering system we had was unique to Australia but the info on The Samba gives the same numbering system from 1964. Was the unique ones only to do with the Panel Van Type 3?? I thought there was something like that but???????? Even though I owned a 1964 Notch and 1967 Square OZ produced/assembled as well as two 1972 Squares, I was more focused on the imported models of 64 and 65 back then but could never find one in one piece for sale.. I actually hated the pre 64 imported Notch and Square due to the total lack of shiny trim and the horrible interior. I say that due to the fact that within 3 years the cloth seat material was falling apart. The vinyl stuff in the 64-65 imports didn't survive much better and within the 3-4 years was starting to split. I was only generally interested over the 40 odd years of trim differences, especially between imported and locally produced ones.

One thing for sure is that some of the Type 3 range in the early years are about as rare as early Bugs. In the case of the imported "S" there may be as few as 3 notches left in the country which are serviceable. There may not be any Variant S vehicles left even if they were imported into the country.

An interesting subject, even if it is only for us Type 3 Junkies!!

DH
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vicelore
Smiles all around.. Be good to get the facts out there for people rather than reading through one hundred of my posts..

Id be happy to post up some pics in here if need be

Cheers Vice..

Vice what would be good to see on here from your car is Body No. and engine No. or most of them. Does any one know why Vice should not put the whole lot on here? In QLD I drive around with my body No. on my rego label. Also I'd like to see pics of

The body colour
Interior
1600 badge on the deck lid
Is the engine a twin port? Interesting any how
Hub cap because there not painted in the centre like my 66

RB.
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1500S
Quote:

Would have been great if actual "first month of delivery" was able to be given instead of just year in our history although the number does give a close approximation. I have read on here somewhere that the chassis numbering system we had was unique to Australia but the info on The Samba gives the same numbering system from 1964. Was the unique ones only to do with the Panel Van Type 3?? I thought there was something like that but???????? Even though I owned a 1964 Notch and 1967 Square OZ produced/assembled as well as two 1972 Squares, I was more focused on the imported models of 64 and 65 back then but could never find one in one piece for sale.. I actually hated the pre 64 imported Notch and Square due to the total lack of shiny trim and the horrible interior. I say that due to the fact that within 3 years the cloth seat material was falling apart. The vinyl stuff in the 64-65 imports didn't survive much better and within the 3-4 years was starting to split. I was only generally interested over the 40 odd years of trim differences, especially between imported and locally produced ones.

One thing for sure is that some of the Type 3 range in the early years are about as rare as early Bugs. In the case of the imported "S" there may be as few as 3 notches left in the country which are serviceable. There may not be any Variant S vehicles left even if they were imported into the country.

An interesting subject, even if it is only for us Type 3 Junkies!!

DH

Yes all true and I used to think the same way but world wide a 1500s is no where near a rare as Vices car.
Membertype3lover
A.k.a.: The Smashed Repairer
Insano Dub Head
in the garage...

No Avatar

Threads: 90

Mood: stoked

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 05:21 PM

My notch has 318022648 stamped on tunnel and compliance plate. Says "Made in Germany" on the plate but I am told it was built in Australia.

Was purchased new in Jan 1969 from Lanock motors in Sydney according to the logbook.

Had drum brakes all round on wide 5's, factory 12 volt, fuel filler under bonnet, black wiper knob and headlight knob to name a few.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else that was perhaps out of place.

MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by type3lover
My notch has 318022648 stamped on tunnel and compliance plate. Says "Made in Germany" on the plate but I am told it was built in Australia.

Was purchased new in Jan 1969 from Lanock motors in Sydney according to the logbook.

Had drum brakes all round on wide 5's, factory 12 volt, fuel filler under bonnet, black wiper knob and headlight knob to name a few.

Cool I'd heard of 12v cars like that but didn't know they were 68. A pic of the dash would be great!
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 05:40 PM

Quote:

I think you will find that most, if not all Type 3 compliance plates have Made In Germany on them regardless of which country they were made/assembled in. Your 68 would be one of the unsold ones still on the floor in 69 after the new model came out and was most likely sold with a good discount. There were maybe a few earlier than 69 vehicles imported which had the disc brakes but generally accepted they were here on the 1969 model along with the double joint rear end and first full auto gearbox. The locally assembled ones were using up the scrap box with all the drum brakes etc in them. Anything unique on these vehicles generally only belongs to Australia.

DH
Membercruiser
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 17

posted on June 28th, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I have recently asked on the samba about the number tag spot welded to the body that is behind the spare wheel. Nobody knew anything about it so I guess it's an Oz thing/body number ?

Type3lover I thought all 68 were 4 stud wheels? mine is 318200071 so not much newer than yours. 4 stud wheels, 12 volt, discs up front, heated seats etc ;)
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cruiser
I have recently asked on the samba about the number tag spot welded to the body that is behind the spare wheel. Nobody knew anything about it so I guess it's an Oz thing/body number ?

Type3lover I thought all 68 were 4 stud wheels? mine is 318200071 so not much newer than yours. 4 stud wheels, 12 volt, discs up front, heated seats etc ;)

I just looked a my fasty and it has the plate as well. I think you are right body number, mine starts with 312 Fastback. I never noticed it was a different number to the pan.

Apparently at the end of Aussie cars they made many variations. Does your car have a fuel flap?
Membercruiser
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 17

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 02:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I just looked a my fasty and it has the plate as well. I think you are right body number, mine starts with 312 Fastback. I never noticed it was a different number to the pan.

Apparently at the end of Aussie cars they made many variations. Does your car have a fuel flap?

I have the fuel flap that you open with your finger.

I did not realize until a week ago when I saw a FB that the later cars also have a flap release cable under the dash. All modern conveniences in 1970.
MemberStanley
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
I guess the reward is in the doing of it

Threads: 270

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey
Mood: caught a bolt of lightning cursed the day I let it go

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 07:11 AM

Good read guys

I have I believe a '69 model notch with the disc front, IRS rear and 4 stud wheels and I drive it every day.
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the fuel flap that you open with your finger.

I did not realize until a week ago when I saw a FB that the later cars also have a flap release cable under the dash. All modern conveniences in 1970.

Cruiser I am guessing that your car with the fuel flap that you open from the out side like a 68 beetle, 4 stud discs and heated seats is a CKD car because that body No. does seem like an Aussie thing and not a fully imported car. Type3lovers cars spec is like Aussie cars with 12v.

Up till now I've been wrongly calling the Chassis No. the body No. From now on, on here to stop confusion I think we should call it by its correct name and the body No. the one behind the spare tyre on the body. Who can tell us about this number?

Cruiser I wonder how far your body No. is from Type3lovers?
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 02:35 PM

Just found time to add a bit. These are a couple of pics but only relate to the imported 1964 model Notch. The one of the body compliance plate has different weights to the 315... one. I'm not sure where I got the 315.... but no doubt was from a wreck around Riverstone about 10 years back.

I've also added one of the master cyl reservoir area in my Notch. Note the large "3". Have no idea what it refers to. Maybe a die number for the pressing?? Also looks like the panel was getting ready for a dual circuit brake setup in the next year or so.

This 0474050 body is matched to the chassis so all original. The sister car only a few numbers away was sold in Victoria on fleabay a couple of years ago and is in Adelaide. It will never be on the road as a restored one as it was too far gone.

What we have to get into our minds regardless of whether there are similar vehicles worldwide as some others suggest, we are on a big island and what we have here is fact and any rarity relates to here alone. Some of these facts in relation to Australian registered Type 3s are:

1. There are very few pre 1964 Notch and Squares left

2. There are most likely similar numbers of the 1965 Australian Twin S hanging around somewhere.

3. There are fewer imported Notch 1500S. Two only known to be roadworthy in Australia from Adelaide to Brisbane.

4. Where are the imported 1966 Fastys?? Anyone seen one and have a current photo? These were the ones with the continuing early model locking steering column before production with Mr El Cheapo Australian version.

Let's see what we can produce now with pics and sightings of vehicles from the earlier years which are still or can be made drivable. It will also help future Type 3 interested Veedubbers know what they are looking for, even if during the mid to later 60s the OZ produced ones varied a bit due to them being put together from the left-overs rack!

DH

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error
Membervicelore

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 03:43 PM

Which number you talking about here.. as far as I knew there was a number on a plate in the front under the bonnet and one under the back seat... These are both meant to match ? And a number on the engine is there more that im missing ?

Whats this fuel filler flap ??

Cheers Vice

Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 03:56 PM

Someone has said there is also a separate number somewhere behind the spare wheel. Has your car got this 3rd number there? My one doesn't have any other than the compliance aluminium plate and under back seat.

Just another thought. Maybe the header should read "Australian Type 3s 1964-1968" as the 63 model was a fully imported one.

DH
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1500S
Someone has said there is also a separate number somewhere behind the spare wheel. Has your car got this 3rd number there? My one doesn't have any other than the compliance aluminium plate and under back seat.

Just another thought. Maybe the header should read "Australian Type 3s 1964-1968" as the 63 model was a fully imported one.

DH

Yes 1500s I thought that may confuse people. I put 1963 because I read we started making them here in July 1963, I suppose you would know these as 64 models. Maybe it should say 1964. Also I love Fully imported cars and when ever i seen one it is a real treat. I do own a fully imported type3 as well.

Vice pull your spare tyre out and look at the painted plate behind that an tell us the numbers. Mine starts with 312.
Membervicelore

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 04:55 PM

Will do when i get home tonight..

Ill also take some pics of all my plates..

Cheers Vice

MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 05:34 PM

Vice the engine No. is on the top of the engine case in the middle under the air cleaner.

RB.
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 05:50 PM

Quote:

I'll let you know if I think of anything else that was perhaps
out of place.

Your notch or halfback looks like an Aussie one from Your pics

very interesting info on type 3 here...

I remember seeing a VW add in a magazine in the 60s

VW FASTBACK- SQUAREBACK- HALFBACK

Anyone else remember that??

could have been car & driver?? usa

Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
Quote:

I'll let you know if I think of anything else that was perhaps
out of place.

Your notch or halfback looks like an Aussie one from Your pics

very interesting info on type 3 here...

I remember seeing a VW add in a magazine in the 60s

VW FASTBACK- SQUAREBACK- HALFBACK

Anyone else remember that??

could have been car & driver?? usa

Lee

Shhhhh Lee, that's showing our age too much!

Burelli. Yep, should be 1964 as anything classed as a 1963 would be the imported Notch with a totally different interior than the locally produced ones from August 1963 as being the normal changeover month. The locally produced one costing about 100 quid ($200) less for the privilage of discarding all the nicer looking inside and overrider bumpers in exchange for a chrome strip down the side, butt freezing (winter) and cooking in summer vinyl seat covers and dangerous non locking front seat backrests!

What about a pic of your car on here for reference? Inside as well.

DH
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 07:29 PM

I took some today and I have only posted photos a couple times years ago, so I'll have to retrain myself when I get home.
Tried to get the car out in the sun but the 6v battery is a bit down and it would not go. Then a fuel line leak, it's the cloth covered stuff and not 3 years old but it's all perished and had it.

A tip for all people that don't know always make sure your rubber fuel lines are all good. Mine are not that old and the car could have had a big fire to day!!!!
Fuel lines are one thing that must be always maintained on any VW.
Member58camper
A.k.a.: Bill Moore
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 110

Mood: Curt but friendly

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 07:40 PM

Guys,

This has developed into an interesting thread and not being a Type 3 devotee of any strength I was hoping the following information may be of assistance to the discussion. The numbers are extracted from the ex Factory Clayton production numbers for all vehicles manufactured in Australia.

Aussie production volumes for early Type 3s out of Clayton up to the end of 1968 were;

316N Notch 1011 units from 1/66 to Dec/68
316S Notch 9645 units up to Dec 67 ( Nil 316S were produced in 1968
312S Fastback 6168 units up to Dec 68
366 V31 Squareback Variant 9264 units to Oct 68
366 V30 Squareback Variant 516 units to Aug 66 when last one was produced. (Not sure what the V30 option was but could have been sunroof.)

There was a number of 1600 imported units with 4 of the EA197 Models in the country and through production by August 1968.Volumes started to pick up in September with 149 units completed on the production line and ready for sale.
Hope these numbers assist.
contrybuggybill
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 58camper
Guys,

This has developed into an interesting thread and not being a Type 3 devotee of any strength I was hoping the following information may be of assistance to the discussion. The numbers are extracted from the ex Factory Clayton production numbers for all vehicles manufactured in Australia.

Aussie production volumes for early Type 3s out of Clayton up to the end of 1968 were;

366 V30 Squareback Variant 516 units to Aug 66 when last one was produced. (Not sure what the V30 option was but could have been sunroof.)

There was a number of 1600 imported units with 4 of the EA197 Models in the country and through production by August 1968.Volumes started to pick up in September with 149 units completed on the production line and ready for sale.
contrybuggybill

All good info Bill.

Was down your way Sunday/Monday visiting relies at Ulladulla. A bit warmer than here at -4 early today. Now Lee will tell us that's a summer day compared to Scone!!

Better add a pic of what the OZ assembled 64-65 ones should have looked like!! Oh well, wishful thinking during those years as only the well healed Veedubbers could afford one of these while the rest of us had to be satisfied with Old Plain Jane!!

DH

Error
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 08:07 PM

That is fabulous 58camper.

Type3lovers car must be a 316N and the V30 could that be one built to carry more weight? or a 1500n maybe?
Membertype3lover
A.k.a.: The Smashed Repairer
Insano Dub Head
in the garage...

No Avatar

Threads: 90

Mood: stoked

posted on June 29th, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Hmm..this is interesting news.

The plate that's spot welded onto the front of mine says 316 7639

Had a twin port 1600 dual carb engine although EFI was available in '68.

Front discs were standard in 68 weren't they? I got no heated seats either..a real runt of the litter so to speak. :lol:

MemberDyno

No Avatar

Threads: 49

posted on June 30th, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 58camper
Guys,

contrybuggybill

V30 is the Panel Van.
Member58camper
A.k.a.: Bill Moore
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 110

Mood: Curt but friendly

posted on June 30th, 2010 at 08:28 AM

Wow,
If the V30 was the Panel Van I would never have thought there were 516 of them produced at Clayton
Total production for V30 in 1966 was 61 units so that meant the other 455 were produced prior to December 1965.
How many panels still exist if there were 516 units produced. ?
Makes them rarer than the Country Buggy where 878 units were produced for the Australian market.
countrybuggybill
 Pages:  1  2  3  ..  6

Go To Top