A.k.a.: Brett Nicholson
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 55

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Usually Cranky!

posted on January 12th, 2011 at 08:32 AM
[FS - VIC] SOLD NON-VW - JDM 1975 Toyota Corona Coupe

NOW SOLD

I never thought this day would come, but I simply have too many cars and too little time for them all. This car hardly gets used anymore and it seems a shame to let it sit idle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/bnicho/my_rt112/20080903033.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/bnicho/my_rt112/20080903049.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/bnicho/my_rt112/20080903057.jpg

The car you are looking at is a JDM Toyopet (Toyota) Corona RT112 Coupe/Hardtop.

As far as I know, it's still the only RT11x Hardtop on Australian roads. I know of one other in Sydney and that one is not driveable.

The car was featured in Australian Classic Car magazine Feb 2009:

http://www.ccar.com.au/html/articles/everyday_classic/Feb09ToyopetCorona1800GL.html

It will also feature in a scene or two of the an upcoming telemovie - "Underbelly - The Man who Got Away."

I imported it from Japan in 2006. After it arrived both front guards were replaced with new ones and minor rust was cut out of one inner sill and one rear guard. An outside only respray was completed in the original silver and rechromed bumpers were fitted. The car has been always garaged since and is still in excellent condition. However, the paint has copped a few chips and marks as I used the car daily for over a year.

Inside everything is original except the carpets. The piping on the drives seat has split from the seatbelt rubbing on it and there are a few small marks on the seats etc. The dash is uncracked and the interior is excellent for the car's age. The factory air was converted to R134A gas and was working with the original engine, but the compressor has not been refitted after the 18RGU swap. I prefer driving with all the windows rolled down anyway!

In 2007 I removed the original 16R 1.8 SOHC engine and four speed box and fitted an 18RGU DOHC 2.0 engine with approx 145hp and matching five speed (W50). This was an optional engine for this car so it bolts straight in. It features factory electronic ignition, rebuilt dual solex side draught carbs expertly tuned by Thornbury's, extractors and a custom 2 1/4" exhaust system. The original 4.1:1 T series diff remains.

Wheels are gold CSA/Delta 14" with Yokohama 185/70R14 tyres about 90% tread. Brakes are stock, with the ovrehead low pad-warning feature still functioning.

The car comes with:

- Ultra rare GT dash cluster (tacho, oil pressure, amps) which I never installed.
- Spare s/h tail lights and grille I importted from the USA.
- Spare bumpers, front pristine, rear slightly dented.
- 18RGU Air con bracket for rotary compressor.
- 14x6.5 staggered offset Watanabe wheels (need stripping and restoring).
- Near new Pedders Shocks and reset rear leaf springs not fitted.
- Original mirrors, carpets, fog lights etc in a box.
- Spare carbs (incomplete).
- Spare new genuine front pads.
- Toyota Parts book.
- Copy of the magazine featuring the car.
- Workshop manuals (Gregory and Haynes).
- Toyota "Green Bible" 18RG manual.
- Sales brochures - JDM and US.
- All paperwork, engineers certificate etc.

There is plenty of potential to take this car further. For example dropping it a coupe of inches and fitting the Watanabes would really improve the looks.

The car was registered in Victoria on full rego until May 2010 so there should be no problem registering it anywhere in Aus. It is now on VIC club-permit registration, which is not transferrable. It will be sold with no RWC "as is, where is" but I will provide a permit for 28 days to the buyer allowing time to register or transport the car, which is legal in every state. The exhaust is loud and there is a minor oil leak from the back of the sump area. Otherwise I can't see any potential RWC issues, but I'm not a mechanic.

The car runs very well with plenty of power in the upper ranges and sounds absolutely horn. I love going through tunnels with the windows down just to hear that exhaust and the carbies gargling. I'm not exactly sure what is in the motor, as it was in another Corona when I bought it. Thornbury's reckon it is not standard internally, but I don't know for sure. It does have a flat spot at low revs, which Thornbury's told me would be cured with a dizzy regraph. Just one of the many things I never got around to doing!

The gearbox and diff are fine with no noises or crunches. The clutch is an Exedy heavy duty.

It's a grumpy bitch to start when it's been left for a few weeks, and it doesn't like to idle when cold. But once it's warmed up, it's fine.

The radiator has been recoed in Oct or Nov last year, as it used to get hot when pushed on a hot day.

[B]My asking price is $10,000.[/B] I think this is very reasonable given the rarity of the car. It would cost far more to get one from Japan today and bring it up to this condition.

The car will not be released until paid in full by bank transfer/cheque or cash. No exceptions. I'm not interested in swaps.

I will assist with shipping it interstate or even overseas. But all transport cost and risk is to be bourne by the buyer. Car is located in Wyndham Vale 3024, in Melbourne.

I reserve the right to remove it from sale if I change my mind! :)

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
Wyndham Vale VIC 3024
0410 566 043
brett(at)nicho.id.au

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
1974 VW Superbug L - Olive :cool:
1971 Morris Mini Moke - Mopoke
1966 Austin Mini - Audrey
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on January 12th, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Seeing that makes me miss my old TA22, that and a couple of Crowns
Got a real soft spot for the old school toyotas
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 12th, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Yeah, I'm really going to miss it if/when it sells. But, I can't keep them all. :(

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 53

Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on January 12th, 2011 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
Seeing that makes me miss my old TA22, that and a couple of Crowns
Got a real soft spot for the old school toyotas

Also having noltalgic thoughts about a 71 TA22 Celica I had that we put a 2TG into. Not the greatest car, but it had some character....and some rust.

I had that car in 93, and went to Japan. At the time there was a special issue car mag out covering all the Celica's. The guys over there couldn't believe I owned such an old car. It was classic!
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 13th, 2011 at 10:37 AM

It's pleasing to see some VW people appreciate cars besides their favourite marque. I posted it up here expecting no replies at all, or even possibly some rude PM's.

Modern Toyotas may be boring as heck, but I love the pre-1980 sporty models and the rarer, the better. Hence why I went to so much effort to acquire and restore this one.

I have posted it on more obvious forums and had a few enquiries, but nobody has come and looked at it yet. But like I said, I'm in no hurry to sell it.

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
MemberAndy
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Andy's Adventures

Threads: 181

Mood: Happy Man

posted on January 13th, 2011 at 11:01 PM

What a great looking car, looks in great condition also.
The older jap cars are getting a following also, a friend had a mid-late 60's crown wagon, what a magic machine!
The styling reminds me of the Honda Coupe, they were a 1300cc, 110hp from the factory and ~750kg. Very nice to drive!

Hope the sale goes well.
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on March 29th, 2011 at 08:42 AM

Bumpage. :D

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
Memberseaside3
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

posted on March 31st, 2011 at 08:26 PM

Retro JDM's are brilliant. I miss my RA25. Good luck with the sale.
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on April 1st, 2011 at 01:49 PM

Friend up the road as an old early 80's corona, not really the 'cool spec' kinda car, but its so tidy and original, with only 25,000 original km's on the clock. was owned by an old lady (ukranian Physicist) till she got too old and gave it to my friends father, her hermeopath.

Its still sittin there, they hardly ever use it and thinking of selling it. its like brand new, absolutely flawless, fully original car. starts first time everytime

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on April 1st, 2011 at 02:27 PM

It probably also has a 400kg carbon build up in the engine too.

Similar situation when I was at the garage, old bloke owned this first gen Bluebird from new, back in 1998 it only had 46,000kms on the clock and a headgasket leaking like an SOB.
It had never been out of the Lismore area, only going to the shops and back.

When I pulled the head off I could barely fit my little finger in the exhaust ports they were so carboned up.

Typical jap motor, nothing was worn but the inside looked like a chain smokers lungs.

Sorry for the hi-jack Brett.
Memberseaside3
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 1st, 2011 at 09:44 PM

I actually remember following your thread of this car on toymods from when u first started looking for one then finding and importing it and then being so happy with it when it arrived.
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 3rd, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Joel, sounds like my Granmother's cars. Usually she changed cars every ten years and the monst I ever saw on her cars was 33,000km. But they were never serviced properly. The last car she drove was a 98 Mirage that had 5,000km on it when she sold it in 2005. I think it had only ever been serviced once.

Seaside3, Yeah, I was so happy with the Corona when I got it. But I intended to drive it daily and I realised it's just too rare for that. Plus it turned into a resto rather than a tidy-up. In some ways it's been a little disappointing too. It doesn't attract as much attention as I expected. Certainly not as much as Olive or my Moke. Now it's rarely used, so it seems silly to keep it. Plus I have a Mini Traveller I really want to get stuck into finishing.

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

info.gif posted on April 3rd, 2011 at 11:23 PM

WOW Brett
I've never ever seen one of those....
excellent front design....
shame they didn't do anything with the rear tail lamps etc...

I've never owned a Toyota but have kept an eye on them over the years...
There is a local imported Toyota Corona Liftback here in Scone... Has been in the family for many years and is a daily around town driver...

Whether You can find a VW owner to purchase it..??
YOU may do better in Unique cars....
as it Is indeed a unique car....

best of luck

LEE

Quote:
Originally posted by bnicho
Hi,

I never thought this day would come, but I simply have too many cars and too little time for them all. This car hardly gets used anymore and it seems a shame to let it sit idle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/bnicho/my_rt112/20080903033.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/bnicho/my_rt112/20080903049.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/bnicho/my_rt112/20080903057.jpg

The car you are looking at is a JDM Toyopet (Toyota) Corona RT112 Coupe/Hardtop.

As far as I know, it's still the only RT11x Hardtop on Australian roads. I know of one other in Sydney and that one is not driveable.

It will also feature in a scene or two of the an upcoming telemovie - "Underbelly - The Man who Got Away."

I imported it from Japan in 2006. After it arrived both front guards were replaced with new ones and minor rust was cut out of one inner sill and one rear guard. An outside only respray was completed in the original silver and rechromed bumpers were fitted. The car has been always garaged since and is still in excellent condition. However, the paint has copped a few chips and marks as I used the car daily for over a year.

Inside everything is original except the carpets. The piping on the drives seat has split from the seatbelt rubbing on it and there are a few small marks on the seats etc. The dash is uncracked and the interior is excellent for the car's age. The factory air was converted to R134A gas and was working with the original engine, but the compressor has not been refitted after the 18RGU swap. I prefer driving with all the windows rolled down anyway!

In 2007 I removed the original 16R 1.8 SOHC engine and four speed box and fitted an 18RGU DOHC 2.0 engine with approx 145hp and matching five speed (W50). This was an optional engine for this car so it bolts straight in. It features factory electronic ignition, rebuilt dual solex side draught carbs expertly tuned by Thornbury's, extractors and a custom 2 1/4" exhaust system. The original 4.1:1 T series diff remains.

Wheels are gold CSA/Delta 14" with Yokohama 185/70R14 tyres about 90% tread. Brakes are stock, with the ovrehead low pad-warning feature still functioning.

The car comes with:

- Ultra rare GT dash cluster (tacho, oil pressure, amps) which I never installed.
- Spare s/h tail lights and grille I importted from the USA.
- Spare bumpers, front pristine, rear slightly dented.
- 18RGU Air con bracket for rotary compressor.
- 14x6.5 staggered offset Watanabe wheels (need stripping and restoring).
- Near new Pedders Shocks and reset rear leaf springs not fitted.
- Original mirrors, carpets, fog lights etc in a box.
- Spare carbs (incomplete).
- Spare new genuine front pads.
- Toyota Parts book.
- Copy of the magazine featuring the car.
- Workshop manuals (Gregory and Haynes).
- Toyota "Green Bible" 18RG manual.
- Sales brochures - JDM and US.
- All paperwork, engineers certificate etc.

There is plenty of potential to take this car further. For example dropping it a coupe of inches and fitting the Watanabes would really improve the looks.

The car was registered in Victoria on full rego until May 2010 so there should be no problem registering it anywhere in Aus. It is now on VIC club-permit registration, which is not transferrable. It will be sold with no RWC "as is, where is" but I will provide a permit for 28 days to the buyer allowing time to register or transport the car, which is legal in every state. The exhaust is loud and there is a minor oil leak from the back of the sump area. Otherwise I can't see any potential RWC issues, but I'm not a mechanic.

The car runs very well with plenty of power in the upper ranges and sounds absolutely horn. I love going through tunnels with the windows down just to hear that exhaust and the carbies gargling. I'm not exactly sure what is in the motor, as it was in another Corona when I bought it. Thornbury's reckon it is not standard internally, but I don't know for sure. It does have a flat spot at low revs, which Thornbury's told me would be cured with a dizzy regraph. Just one of the many things I never got around to doing!

The gearbox and diff are fine with no noises or crunches. The clutch is an Exedy heavy duty.

The oil pressure light flickers randonly at about 1500-2000rpm. I am certain this is a wiring fault as I have tested the oil pressure twice at the pump and the bearings and it's fine. I never fixed the problem as I intended to fix it when I fitted the GT dash cluster. There is also the remains of an old alarm in the loom under the bonnet which has been bypassed.

It's a grumpy bitch to start when it's been left for a few weeks, and it doesn't like to idle when cold. But once it's warmed up, it's fine.

The radiator has been recoed in Oct or Nov last year, as it used to get hot when pushed on a hot day.

[B]My asking price is $15,000.[/B] I think this is very reasonable given the rarity of the car. It would cost far more to get one from Japan today and bring it up to this condition.

If you are in the ball-park, drop me a PM or a call. I won't bite, and I'd like to see it to to someone who will appeciate it. But Low-ballers need not bother. The car is for sale, but I don't NEED to sell it. If it doesn't sell I will simply continue to enjoy it and develop it, or maybe put it into storage. It just means I might have to delay my other projects for a while.

The car will not be released until paid in full by bank transfer/cheque or cash. No exceptions. I'm not interested in swaps.

I will assist with shipping it interstate or even overseas. But all transport cost and risk is to be bourne by the buyer. Car is located in Wyndham Vale 3024, in Melbourne.

I reserve the right to remove it from sale if I change my mind! :)

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
Wyndham Vale VIC 3024
0410 566 043
brett(at)nicho.id.au

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 4th, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Hi,

I owned one of the imported Liftback Coronas for many years. It was a stop-gap car I had trouble bringing myself to sell. It was a really good car with low km on it and very comfortable and reliable. I only got rid of it because I got bored with it and wanted a VW Bug to replace it for daily duties. (Well actually I swapped that Corona for the MR2 which I want to use for motorsport.)

The Corona Coupe has been in Just Cars for two months now, as well as several forums. Perhaps I should try Unique Cars next. I'm trying to avoid Carsales as whenever I have advertised a car there in the past, I've had lots of knob-heads text me trying to offer me half my asking price without even coming to see the car. :no:

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on March 22nd, 2012 at 09:15 AM

Bump - still for sale. Now $11,000 negotiable. It's in Just Cars and Unique Cars but no takers so far.

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
Memberkombi_matt
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

posted on April 13th, 2012 at 08:13 PM

Would you consider swaps at all? I have a 76 Bay that I think is of similar value.
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 22nd, 2012 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kombi_matt
Would you consider swaps at all? I have a 76 Bay that I think is of similar value.

Sorry, trying to reduce my car collection, so not really interested in a Bay right now.

Cheers,
Brett.

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on May 28th, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Monthly bumpage.

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
MemberLucky Phil
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 16

Mood: I'm a legend in my own lunchtime!

posted on May 28th, 2012 at 04:31 PM

Crikey! Is this still floating around?
I guess being rare doesn't necessarily make it popular.
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on May 28th, 2012 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Phil
Crikey! Is this still floating around?
I guess being rare doesn't necessarily make it popular.

I haven't pushed it very hard I guess.

A guy from Perth looked at it last weekend but I haven't heard from him since. So I guess he wasn't taken with it.

I don't understand it really. It's the same sort of moeny as people are asking for TA22/RA23/RA28 Celicas in this condition, so I don't think the price is far off.

I might have to go the eBay or Carsales route. Trying to avoid that if possible. Those mediums seem to attract knobs that offer 50% of your asking price then get agressive when you won't take it. :no:

There is one vehicle I would swap it for, but buckleys of finding one - a Reliant Scimitar GTE.

Cheers,

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
MemberLucky Phil
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 16

Mood: I'm a legend in my own lunchtime!

posted on May 30th, 2012 at 01:52 PM

Dealing with knobs is part of the gig, I guess.
Good luck with the sale.
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on July 27th, 2012 at 03:04 PM

SOLD and now on it's way to Adelaide. :)

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
MemberBob down
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 31

posted on July 27th, 2012 at 07:33 PM

well done, trust it went to good home.
Memberbnicho
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on July 27th, 2012 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob down
well done, trust it went to good home.

It will be living with a KE20 Corolla and an MS65 Crown, so I'm sure it will be looked after.

Cheers,
Brett.

Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Go To Top