Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 668 | Total Replies: 2 | Thread Id: 88271 ]
Author: Subject:  Compufire DIS problems.....again....
Memberbeachbuggy61
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 43

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: Hangin' to drive my bug!

posted on January 22nd, 2011 at 03:33 PM
Compufire DIS problems.....again....

Good afternoon all,

I've just got back from a run to Taree and Old Bar (felt like taking her for a highway run!) and I have a problem with the ignition.

Run up to Taree - ran sweet as a nut. Lots of grunt, running smoothly. However, as I turned around to head back - literally - it dropped one of the coils. Tacho read exactly half the real engine revs, no power, running rough, etc.

I've had this happen before and the unit was replaced. The new one has been going for about 6 months without a hitch.

Checked all of the connections. They're spot on. Wiggled the wires while it was running to see if it would suddenly come good, but to no avail. On the way home it did suddenly have all 4 cylinders twice (for about a minute each time) but the rest of the way - 2 potter!

I don't know what was wrong last time. Something was said about a faulty batch.

Does anyone have any ideas???

I've seen these units on the drag bugs at Warwick in October, so I figure if they're standing up to that, they are alright! I'm loath to just chuck it in the bin as I paid several hundred bucks for it and when it's working it is really good.

Going out to the garage to put the Pertronix and dizzy cap and single coil back on for now (cos I want to make Stockton on Australia Day) but if a solution can be found I'd love to put this back on!!

Help!!

Many thanks,
Marc.

Baja
1915cc's of raw power :no:
Turbocharger
Intercooler
EFI
Crank fired Ignition
Runs E85
Engineered

"The Lord does not subtract from the life of a man, the hours spent on his Volkswagen" Anon.
Memberhulbyw
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 130

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: I'm OK, RU?

posted on January 22nd, 2011 at 07:38 PM

Suggest you check the tightness of the module mounting screw. Mine came loose several times and caused problems. A drop of loctite fixed it. Been running sweet ever since
Memberbeachbuggy61
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 43

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: Hangin' to drive my bug!

posted on January 22nd, 2011 at 08:32 PM

Thanks hulbyw, mine were Loctite'd in and I was running an extra earth wire to the frame of the module too just in case :mad:

Pertronix fitted now. Started first kick and runs smooth as.....

Frustration continues.... :cool:

Baja
1915cc's of raw power :no:
Turbocharger
Intercooler
EFI
Crank fired Ignition
Runs E85
Engineered

"The Lord does not subtract from the life of a man, the hours spent on his Volkswagen" Anon.

Go To Top