Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject:  Stealth Kombi
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

smile.gif posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 03:56 PM
Stealth Kombi

Starting a topic to document my travels as a Kombi enthusiast...time to Share.....will start with lots of Pics. (Just learning to resize in photoshop...). Been into serious mods from about 2001.
This is a FUN car - not a historically valuable 1960 splitty that should be left stock. I've modified lots of stuff, and done things a few times to get it right - so if I can help a newbie get his/her bombi on the road with less pain / cash outlay...then I'll feel good.
Why modify? .....FUN.....and, lets face it, when the subie engine hits full boost it is rather cool (you keep up with “annoying little cars” easily....and can shock everybody if you want to give it a bit of juice...not my style, but good to have the power when necessary, particularly when loaded up). Add proper air conditioning (and heating), better fuel efficiency, electronic ignition, quad cam, fuel injection, TURBO,...GENUWINE factory replacement engine parts.....and you have my motivation to go to a subie.....and you gotta love the rumble sound it makes. Being a big car, the donk doesn’t overpower you - and I've never felt out of control (but, please, lower the car if you want sporty cornering - rear sway bar and "moderately" lower profile tyres help heaps). The stock Kombi brakes go fine, just pay attention to the rear drum adjustment on a regular basis, so they are at optimum.
Anyway, specs:
EJ20T (very early, but similar spec to WRX. ie 147kW/256Nm....but with a really short exhaust, so more power to wheels than if it was in a front engined car).
Got as front cut....you will need all the bits and pieces. Didn’t use radiator....wanted a reasonably nice front view of Bombi....so many horror stories with bad rad. Placement...Get front cut with gearbox, if you are starting out – and follow my progress with the reversed Subaru gearbox.
Water intercooler......gets air through tasteful side scoop.
Tranny....stock 2lt kombi....with 0.7 4th gear - NOT happy with this in terms of suitability with donk..ie. turbo engine needs totally different 'box to make most of its power band (and not a 40 year old VW 4 speed). Having gone to the trouble to wack in a modern donk, many will / have been disappointed with the gearbox.....and I'm not going to take the compromise any more - so i'm going to wack in a perfectly suited reversed subie tranny, see Todd at www.subarugears.com for details.....build will take place in May/June, hopefully - will provide many pics.
Radiator.....up front, where it belongs. I don't run ANY fans...even in stinking hot conditions....even when stuck in traffic idling.....even when I'm driving a little sporty....the temp NEVER goes over 90 d/cel. Rad is custom, so I can make it a nice shape suitable for covering with fibreglass spoiler. Obviously not as clean as stock look, but I'm happy that its probably as good as a radiator will look on a Kombi - and it does give it a little "attitude".
System has 2 bleed points and rad cap/overflow bottle is in engine bay. Used copper lines - no probs (done about 30K in current setup)....but does need 12 monthly flush.
Runs stock water pump / thermostat, no probs with circulating (the now 12lt) of coolant.
Other stuff: Fuel tank (stock) under back seat - fits easy, but needs to be in an enclosed space....working on an aluminium box for this, as a speak. Gear leaver and brake between seats....took some thought / playing - but now good as gold...and I can run much shorter gearstick, so quicker gear changes, in a more comfortable position.
Hiace large capacity air conditioner mounted above rear cargo area.....will be going by next summer.
Aftermarket under dash heater/demister on its way from US soon.
Skull side marker indicators (why not).
Custom LED rear indicators.....front harley bullet indicators - so the "Boxy" mid '70s indicator look is gone from front and back......front air intake grill gone too – quarter vents make up for this.....air con will help even further. Air con will have custom roof ducting (like airplanes) to keep peeps chilled.
Towbar in engine bay - just tow ball sticking out back - which you can do with a subie donk being so short.....also have bike rack attachment permanently attached...all covered by painted aluminium plate.
Limo style partition, to front, so kids can fight in peace - and also (more importantly) so that the air con only has to cool the front cabin when I'm not ferrying family.
Similar partition (in progress) behind rear seats, so air con won't need to cool space above engine....which does get warm. Will add lots of insulation to help air con, as well...
Deleted top rear air intakes - looks smoother - replaced with "rocket engine" holes in rear engine lid, to get heat out of engine bay. Not to many people’s taste, and I agree it is a little funky/brave.....but key word is FUN.
Recessed rear reversing lights, in bumper.
Chrome 16 inch wheels (Speedy brand – come as blank wheels, and they are drilled to suit....have correct offset)....lower profile tyres at front....bigger brutes at rear for cornering / grip reasons, respectively.
Rear sway bar....do it....
GPS in dash....a few pod gauges....subie instruments, with stock kombi speedo.....custom indicator binnacle, with multi speed intermittent wipers (yee ha).....lowered four inches....custom fuel filler.....perspex pod filter access door - odd? yes, but you can see the nice chrome filter!!....big chrome grab handle at back of cabin partition....dvd for kids in rear (need to get screen)...cool pedal plates so shoes not slippo....custom sump..custom exhaust manifold which goes around back, instead - much better departure angle clearance, so no scrape driveway.....seats seven - 4 in toyota cressida buckets, 3 in back folding bed bench seat.....bosch coils - stock subie coils problematic....subie engine stock, for now - had the CPU wired in professionally, which was most painful part of the conversion process.....big internal engine compartment access lid – way easier to do stuff with big lid opened.
Costs......don’t care (I do now, as car playing funds are now very carefully monitored by missus – and we spent too much on the new house...oops). But really, if you don’t take bad options and redo stuff (like me) its gotta be less than $7500 for the basics – with all the labour done by owner. But what is basic? Do you want it to look OK or just slap on a big standard radiator on the front, with all the piping exposed, and call it done? Do you want A/c and proper heating? Will you lower the car?
No real answer then.....but if you are an “enthusiast” then a world of interesting and rewarding playing awaits.
Shortcuts (to avoid pain).....:
• Get whole front cut, and ask to hear car running.
• Don’t put radiator anywhere in engine bay. Underneath placement preserves the stock look (and is a passable option), but, you will need fans, it will hang down (and get hit by rocks, etc. – especially if you lower the car-....do major damage to your radiator in a secluded camping spot, far from home, and a world of pain will be yours), and will get super dirty, will run hotter and fans will be on a lot (I’m told by some peeps). OR spend time, and do something similar to my setup...(just my experience, with any advise...here to help). Also, with those wanting the joy of air con, the “condenser”? thingo (looks like a radiator) will have to go under the car – as it adds too much bulk to the front spoiler setup (in my case), and will have its own fans. So you’re going to have 4 fans to power....so when they kick in, together, the lights will dim and the stereo’s gunna drop out. I’ve said, above, that it’s not my preference for an under mount rad, yet I’m going to put the condenser (like a rad) under.....but I’m thinking cooling an engine is a little more demanding of a radiator than its use in the air con system – so, no need to “angle” the unit to get fresh air from the front ....will be in more protected / flush mounted position....but will still need regular cleaning, yes.
• Move your fuel tank if you go turbo option (come on, go turbo.....and if you can acquire a 2.5 turbo, cheapish, you will have quite a bit more torque lower in rev range than as per 2.0lt). The lengths some people go to, just to fit an ej20t in the car (ie. Mount turbo in other places) with the tank in the stock possie are silly, I recon....especially when the tank fits real nice under the rear seat.
• Remember that EFI is high pressure, so all fuel lines should be suitable....and make sure all fuel system ancillaries are connected up (breathers, charcoal canister, one way valves, etc)....
• Take a LONG hard look at the gearbox choice...save time and MONEY, GET IT RIGHT FIRST TIME........follow me for reversed subie option www.subarugears.com – which gives a perfect ‘box to engine match. I’ve had two VW automatics (one kombi and one type 3) and the current kombi manual ‘box, and it’s a major disappointment.
• Be wary of rear disc brake conversions....never could get the handbrake to hold proppa – others might have some success here, but my experience was not good. Properly adjusted rear drums work good...handbrake rock solid.
• Have access to a spare car for use when playing with bombi....
• Put a couple of well placed bleed points in coolant lines....me got one at top of rad, and one on output side in engine bay........takes a while to bleed after emptying/refilling...but no real drama.
• Lower the car if you are sporty around corners.
• T up a auto electrician who knows the wiring setup....if you can.....a few $ extra on the job costs....worth it....
• Just loop the exhaust around and go straight out the back with the muffler – just make it a quiet muffler.....not a cannon style.....loud.
• If you go the front rad / spoiler option........don’t redo the bugger 5 times cause you felt like a change....ie me.
• Don’t rush the engine mount procedure....use nice thick steel. And make it easy to adjust if necessary -to align the drive train squarely in the engine bay.
• Ditch that little plastic subie overflow coolant tank (and reroute the turbo coolant line, for turbo people) and get a big expansion tank.....for the increased volume.
• (Turbo) Use water to air intercooler.....wreakers sell as kit for those who have a top mount air intercooler.
• Look at sump and exhaust manifold modification as essential.....but once again, see me for progress with reversed subie tranny – as the subie ‘box positions the engine a bit higher in the car –and might get around the low slung engine / clearance issue....to be continued.
• Get in touch with an engineer, early, to check the ever changing local laws on what is legal.....

I’ll hit the forum once a week (ish) to help other Kombi Sicko's...lest I spend my life on this forum.....and I favour a quick picture over a lot of typing (as i’ve not done here), if anybody wants a tip, so I'll post lots of pics....
(With so many cool things to talk about, I've got to make time to get off computer and have a normal life - and muck around with car)

The future: finish off a few things to make it more comfortable to live with: air con, heating, insulation, GEAR BOX...rub the paint back / fix a few little oversprays.

Enjoy....
PS. Judge me, fellow Kombites, Guru or Pretender?
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:11 PM

stealth

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:16 PM

Go bush

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:24 PM

front

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:27 PM

driveway

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:36 PM

matt finish.....way too hot / hard to keep surface consistent - shame, looks evil. Spoiler bigger version - no like, as dominates face of car/ headlight beam impared.....changed this. Skull ? commodore driver....kidding, no hate mail pls.

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:43 PM

bulky!

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:46 PM

side

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:49 PM

another driveway shot

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:52 PM

yet another view...side

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 04:59 PM

filler.....tilted back...avoilds occasional fuel backwash....learned this the hard way...ie petrol on my stubbies....not super expensive aircraft type....marine...$80...(custom tilted mount bit)

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 05:04 PM

controversial rear end......"jet engine" holes - a young kid said!! LED lights, hidden tow ball / bike rck bracket, reverse lights recessed, brave......led lights awesome when lit....(autobarn)

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 05:11 PM

rear view... camping

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 05:15 PM

matt....loved it....can't live with it....

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 05:20 PM

(clean) back view....will rub paint back over winter maybe

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 05:22 PM

ready fo spoiler

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 05:31 PM

in cave....can see aluminium partition construction....isolates any heat from engine...less volume of air for a/c to cool, in car....bit of a noise barrier for rear passengers, too....perspex window for rear view- hinged so you can still throw some longer objects into rear....also acts as cargo barrier, and has steel cross section to mount rear seat passenger head rests, for safety...just cant have a folding bed - but camping in tent means can keep eye on kids, rather than being in back of car (oblivious).

Error
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 05:35 PM

It is really good to show so many aspects of the build to help others. It helps to answer so many questions when you do it yourself. I did our bus quite a while ago now, and I am in the fortunate position that I modify and build cars for a living. I was able to do the whole job in one go, and pass engineering first time. It is a great feeling when that piece of legal paper is in your hands and it is all done.

How did you go with your engineers report?

Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 05:40 PM

hard way to get full subie drivetrain into kombi....wow, this guy is determined. Respect. This is way before (I think) Todd at www.subarugears.com has put in the research and found a real easy way to achieve the same (without turning the whole jolly engine/tranny around the opposite way in the car!!!)....I'll go the reversed "internal" way...stay tuned.

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 06:54 PM

old version

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 06:55 PM

pre painting

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 06:56 PM

layers....old attempts to paint...changed my mind a bit...

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 06:58 PM

rear old

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 06:59 PM

rear under const

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 07:00 PM

spoiler under const.

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 07:01 PM

side spoiler const.

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 07:11 PM

rad

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 07:12 PM

rad 2

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 07:13 PM

rad 3

Error
Memberfatdadis
Commited Dubber

posted on April 2nd, 2011 at 07:14 PM

spoiler and rad

Error
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top