Author: Subject:  74 kombi, hot/cold intake q's
Member56veedub
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 12

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on May 22nd, 2011 at 04:44 PM
74 kombi, hot/cold intake q's

Well I have recently acquired a 1974 kombi camper. Just been doing some tinkering and general maintenance and stumbled across a few things.

Firstly the air intake has a hot/cold intake port, which isn't hooked up. On the passenger side rear quarter vent there is an intake pipe, it runs into the engine bay but does not reach to the intake...which seems odd, doesn't look cut or anything, and seems odd as the intake is pointing towards the drivers side vent towards the battery so would have assumed intake would have been from taht vent. But the pipe is actually secured by bolts on the bodywork on the left hand vent so would prefer not to move it to the otherside due to the holes...

So not being hooked up it seems to always be sucking hot air.

Also the vacuum isn't hooked up to the hot/cold air valve. Does this connect to the underside of the plastic intake pipe just before entering the right hand carb?

Does the hot/cold butterfly default to cold air if its not hooked up?

Also there is a teed off hose on the carby equalizer pipe. pointing towards the dizzy, but there is already a line to the vacuum advance. Any ideas?

Also what is the correct size fuel line as I have noticed there is a leak from one of the lines so would like to replace them all before it ends in a burning wreck.

cheers
MemberAndy
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Andy's Adventures

Threads: 181

Mood: Happy Man

posted on May 22nd, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Are you able to post some pictures? It sounds a bit odd the setup you describe.
A few things are easy, yes the intake defauts to cold air, that should be easy to see if you remove the aircleaner and have a look inside. If vacuum lines are not hooked up, check there are no open holes leaving a vacuum leak on your intake!!

Vacuum line to the dissy must come from the port in the carby (should be LH carbie). The vacuum line in the pipe you call the equalizer is for the central idle system. This should run to the LH pipe in the valve you mention near the inlet of the RH carb. The other side runs to the vacuum pot that opens the flap for hot air.

Fuel line should be 7mm, but I have seen carbies and fuel pumps with varying pipe diameters, so best to double check first. Replacing fuel line should be a priority!!! Please also give a good hard pull on the brass tubes, they very often come loose also!!

From personal experience I have found the fabric coated fuel line does not last ling, I have been using the thicker EFI hose, lasts better, but is a pain to fit as it's only 1/4"
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on May 23rd, 2011 at 09:56 AM

Sounds like it may have been fitted with an old Donaldson Filter in a past life, alot of Campers were if they headed out west alot.
Member56veedub
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 12

posted on May 23rd, 2011 at 01:11 PM

hopefully these pictures will help with my horrible explanation.

This is the piping setup currently, not long enough to reach the intake.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/oldenholden64/IMG_5965.jpg

closeup of intake. There was the 2 vacuum holes on the bottom of the intake (in the picture), I have hooked one up to the vacuum of the intake to see if that will open it form hot to cold intake. What re these 2 vacuum holes usually connected to?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/oldenholden64/_MG_5974.jpg

Also what is this wiring for, its currently disconnected.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/oldenholden64/IMG_5968.jpg
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on May 23rd, 2011 at 02:24 PM

Mmmm like I thought, that would had been the intake for one of these puppies.

Donaldson barrel filter
My tractors have the same setup.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Kombi09/Donaldsonset-up001.jpg

I haven't seen one of these for years till a few weeks ago I dropped into the garage I used to work at and the kombi in for a rebuild had one.
It's just been swapped back to a stock setup on yours.
Most of them had the bowl type prefilter sticking up through the vents on the back.
That port on the right hand side of your stock airbox is just the preheat intake, it has ducting which goes down onto right hand head from memory.

That chopped off wire hanging down is just the old inductive pick up sensor wire that went on the #1 plug lead.

That plug is what the dealership plugged their diagnosis center in to.
MemberAndy
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Andy's Adventures

Threads: 181

Mood: Happy Man

posted on May 23rd, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Well picked Joel,
Just to add a couple of points, the air cleaner intake circled just needs a short pipe so it sucks from just above the battery (RHS). Most kombi's have this missing just like yours. Not sure it makes a big difference. The hot air intake comes from underneath that opening.
The two vacuum points you asked about, the RHS one looks connected correct (goes to vacuum can on inlet), the other goes to a tapping directly under the air box (in the steel cross pipe)

Looks like you could do with a new engine-body seal and a good clean up :)

Go To Top