Author: Subject:  1976 superbug "L" help please
Memberwattletree
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:22 AM
1976 superbug "L" help please

I am very new to this site and would like some info on my vw beetle.It is a 1976 superbug "L" which we hadnt heard much of until I did some research.My husband has been into kombis forever and wants to start his restoration project so my bug is up for sale.We have been told that this particular model is scarce, does anyone know anything about this?Anyone have any idea how much it would be worth?
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on November 2nd, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Volkswagen Australia introduced the first Superbug, the 'S', in February 1971. It had the MacPherson strut suspension, double joint rear axle and twin-port 1600cc engine like yours, but with a flat windscreen and a dashboard just like the earlier Beetles.

In April 1973 the Superbug S was replaced by an updated model called the Superbug 'L'. This model was mechanically the same as the earlier S, but had the big curvy windscreen, shorter front bonnet, 'elephants foot' rear tail lights and a completely new padded dashboard with a binnacle speedo and two-speed fan. It was updated in 1974 with 'negative steering roll radius' geometry on the front suspension, and in June 1975 with rack and pinion steering and front blinkers in the bumper. The last one was made in November 1975, so there is no such thing as a 1976 Superbug. Look at your chassis number - the third digit is the year ('5' for 1975 etc). Like all Australian-sold Beetles after 1968, yours was NOT made in Germany - it was made in Clayton, Melbourne, by 'Motor Producers Ltd', a company owned by VW Germany, using German-made 'CKD' kits with some Australian-made components. The Clayton factory was sold to Nissan in early 1976.

No they're not that rare; there are still plenty about but it's getting harder to find really nice ones in original unmodified condition. VW Australia's sales figures for the Superbug L were:
1973 - 6,620
1974 - 2,025
1975 - 1,930

The 1976 Beetle that replaced the Superbug (a 'bitsa' using the old 1300 body and pan with Superbug engine and gearbox) only sold 1,159. The Passat sold 4,113 in 1975 and 3,945 in 1976, and the Golf 4,429 in 1976 - the aircoolers were on the way out.

More Australian VW history here http://www.clubvw.org.au/history/history.html 

Your car is 36 years old and its value is purely dependent on its condition - immaculate, basically straight or ratty? I hope your Superbug goes to a good home and someone who will look after it.
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on November 2nd, 2011 at 11:42 AM

g'day

Can you tell us what the VIN number is?
L bugs or 1303's were not made in 1976.
They ran from 1973 to 1975.
The 1975 is unique in that it is the only one with rack and pinion steering and is probably the pick of "superbugs" - a bug with struts.
Yes, I guess you could call them scarce.

Whats it worth??
Depends on condition - can you post some some pictures??

Futue te ipsum!!!
MemberPumba
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 255

posted on November 2nd, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Was this at the show in bowral on sunday for sale???

69 Beetle
66 Beetle
56 Beetle
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on November 2nd, 2011 at 05:02 PM

Hi

We need to wait for the chassis number to be seally sure, but engine lids often get swapped around on bugs as we all know, so it could be a 76 Beetle, it could also be a 75 L bug that was sold in 76.

Steve
Memberwattletree
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 3rd, 2011 at 09:34 AM

Well first of all thanks for all the help,its great! We purchased this car with the "l" badge so assumed thats what it was. Anyway vin no is 1162039443 before that it has 1/76 which is why I thought it was made in Jan 76.We have some paperwork that says it is 1600 1302s.Pumba, it wasnt at Bowral,I would have liked to have gone but couldnt.Bizarre, I will try and post some photos, we cant find any rust except a tiny bit surfacing on the door, it was resprayed by the previous owner,a very nice job.The interior is partially done,neat and tidy,but the dash has been painted and is a bit messy,but not unfixable.Goes well dont know of anything wrong.I love my beetle but it has to go because my husband loves his Kombi!:grind:
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on November 3rd, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Nah not an Lbug, one of the last bitsa 76 standard beetle runout specials Phil was talking about.

Just had the usual engine lid off an Lbug fitted to repair rust/accident damage.

Lbugs have the big curved windscreen and strut front end.
MemberLucky Phil
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 16

Mood: I'm a legend in my own lunchtime!

posted on November 3rd, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Not what you would call rare as they're still out there.
A good one is hard to find, though, because of rust issues.
They are not as popular as earlier models, but due to said rust problems, will become very rare in a short while.
Memberwattletree
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 3rd, 2011 at 02:25 PM

thanks everyone.Doesnt have too much rust, little in door,I think its very sound, anyway its for sale if anyones interested, Thanks
MemberMR930
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 73

Mood: VW crazy.

posted on November 3rd, 2011 at 04:52 PM

I'm interested, can you send pics and price to seemytoys@hotmail.com

Thanks Mark

Go To Top