Memberbaja_01
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 35

Theme: XMBX Pro Green

posted on July 10th, 2012 at 07:24 PM
External Oil Filters?

Hi All
Running an external oil filter, using Mahle filters, but now I have run out. What spin on filter are people using on the aftermarket mounts?
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on July 10th, 2012 at 08:12 PM

standard VW filters for a passat

MemberStanley
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
I guess the reward is in the doing of it

Threads: 270

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey
Mood: caught a bolt of lightning cursed the day I let it go

posted on July 10th, 2012 at 08:18 PM

Z9
Membergrinderman
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 50

posted on July 11th, 2012 at 06:42 PM

Ryco Z9, $6 and you can get them everywhere.:tu:
MemberDakDak67

No Avatar

Threads: 15

posted on July 12th, 2012 at 12:01 PM

K&N HP 3001 . Sorry buy Ryco are pure rubbish, the paper is junk and very light on . Cut open a Ryco filter and have a look, then cut open a K&N filter and compare.
Memberhellbugged
A.k.a.: Daimo Pell
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

Threads: 116

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Couldn't care less

posted on July 12th, 2012 at 12:05 PM

You could find the k&n on eBay
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on July 12th, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Good to see someone else thinks Ryco are crap... I wouldn't fit to ANY engine.
I use and recommend German Mann, Knecht or Mahle. These I believe have superior filtering over most cheaper brands. I use the same fitment as a type 4 kombi filter.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberDakDak67

No Avatar

posted on July 12th, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yes Mat , all of those are high quality filters, i just don't see the point of fitting cheap rubbish, we all want the best oil possible but fit filters made to sell as "Service specials" from Repco with a $15 ,5 litre bottle of oil. Don't forget to lockwire your filters folks, if your filter doesn't have a slot built in, just grab a big hose clamp and fix the lock wire to the clamp.
Memberbaja_01
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 35

posted on July 12th, 2012 at 04:38 PM

Ok..............K&N seems to be the goods:

Product Style: Oil Filters
Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes
Bypass Valve: Yes
Filter Material: High Flow Premium Media
Gasket Material: Nitrile Rubber
Height: 5.719 in (145 mm)
Outside Diameter: 3.656 in (93 mm)
PSI Relief Valve: 8-11
Removal Nut: Yes
Style: Canister
Thread Specification: 3/4 In. - 16UNF-2B

Thanks for the input...............
MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Mood: Synchro'd

posted on July 12th, 2012 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DakDak67Don't forget to lockwire your filters folks, if your filter doesn't have a slot built in, just grab a big hose clamp and fix the lock wire to the clamp.

Why do you do this?

Smiley :)

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

Threads: 13

posted on July 13th, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I've never had any trouble with Ryco filters (on various types of car) and never seen a filter undo itself. If you feel the need though, by all means spend more on a filter and lockwire them on. At the end of the day, they're disposable and they're only going to be on the car for 5000km or less. If I had a $10,000 race engine then maybe I would think about using a more expensive filter, but for stock engines I don't see much point. Another way to think about it is that VW engines with only a stock oil strainer still last for decades. Any kind of paper filter will give you a massive improvement in filtration over a wire mesh strainer. How finely do you really need to filter it?

MemberStanley

posted on July 13th, 2012 at 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by waveman1500
I've never had any trouble with Ryco filters (on various types of car) and never seen a filter undo itself. If you feel the need though, by all means spend more on a filter and lockwire them on. At the end of the day, they're disposable and they're only going to be on the car for 5000km or less. If I had a $10,000 race engine then maybe I would think about using a more expensive filter, but for stock engines I don't see much point. Another way to think about it is that VW engines with only a stock oil strainer still last for decades. Any kind of paper filter will give you a massive improvement in filtration over a wire mesh strainer. How finely do you really need to filter it?

This is kinda true. Going back to my hydraulic days it all comes down to micron rating. I think Z9s are around 35micron and the good K&N filters are around 20micron. Human hair is around 70+ microns. However there are also other factors such as nominal and absolute. At all really comes down to how often you change your oil and the type of driving you do and I guess how much you have invested in your engine.
I use a Z9 because there easy to get and my oil doesn't stay in Frankenstein for long and on the occasions i've had to pull it down it has shown no signs of wear that could be attributed to poor filtration considering 6 inches from the inlet is a hydraulic milling machine (gear pump). A Z9 is a huge leap when compared to a stock strainer however IMO use whatever your comfortable with.
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on July 13th, 2012 at 08:30 AM

I've seen Ryco failures. (and not just the seals)
I also would prefer foreign particles in my oil to be as small as possible. The fact that they are twice as big if I use a Ryco is good enough for me.

As for a 'hydraulic milling machine'. Come on Andrew, you are kidding aren't you. You are showing your mechanical aptitude with a statement like that!!!

The oil goes around the outside of your oil pump, not milled/squashed or whatever through the gears!.......

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberStanley

posted on July 13th, 2012 at 08:39 AM

Maybe not so much with a low pressure engine oil pump but in hydraulic gear pumps that's what happens.
We used to build new gear pumps from scratch and the way to get them to work efficiently was to bed the gears in.
You produce a couple of thousand PSi at the outlet which pushes the gears to the inlet side causing the gears to contact the centre housing. That's how they work. The amount of cast iron we pulled out of the resevoir would surprise you. Hence the hydraulic mill.
MemberDakDak67

No Avatar

posted on July 13th, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Quote:
Originally posted by DakDak67Don't forget to lockwire your filters folks, if your filter doesn't have a slot built in, just grab a big hose clamp and fix the lock wire to the clamp.

Why do you do this?

Smiley :)
Peace of mind mate, a simple task and good insurance. If you have ever lost a filter at speed you will know what i mean.
MemberDakDak67

No Avatar

posted on July 13th, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by waveman1500

Modern oils and filters allow these engines three times the life they had 40 - 50 years ago. it's all in the quality of the paper within the filter, Ryco paper is made at a low cost and might have a goodish micron rating but there is not enough of it within the filter, like i said, cut one open one day with a hacksaw and pull it apart.

Then there's the quality of the leak back valve in Ryco and cheaper filters :grind:, i'm just offering my opinion from 20 years of building engines in the motor industry , i would like a dollar for every time i've seen a collapsed element in cheap filters (yes i cut open every removed filter to look for debris).

Just remember why you feel the need to run quality fuel and oil in your engine, why not fit a quality filter for an extra $15? makes sense, food for thought.

Go To Top