MemberTCS_58
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 8

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Always good when she is around

posted on July 11th, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Needing a defined answer on later pan IRS swaps

I'm just getting confused here after many searches on various sites. I NEED to know the differences between a full IRS pan swap and an IRS conversion, in terms of which one is the "better" way to go, and which one I should actually do. I am a self admitted total noob in this dept and would really appreciate some helpful info, links, build pics and steps, etc ,etc.. :fakesniff:

I don't know if it helps but it's a 58 swing (obviously..) with a Suba 5 speed getting dropped in mated to a 13B. I have been looking into the 2" shortened IRS arms on the Samba aswell, can anyone tell me more about these..?:crazy:
MemberBirdman
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 49

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 11th, 2012 at 12:47 PM

You can weld Irs inner pivot brackets onto a swinger pan but you need the brackets, a jig and good welding ability. You still have a king pin front end though.

To swap to a BJ irs pan you need to relocate the body brackets behind the rear wheels but it is an easy job compared to the above. There are some other small chages needed to do a pan swap but cant remember them right now.

I'd do the pan swap but them your car is technically whatever year your pan is. Try to get a 68/69 irs pan as they dont have adr's applied to them. you can also use a 76 pan but they have lots of adrs.

you will obviously need an engine adaptor to fit that chook cooker. id go a subi motor personally.

I dont know why you would want shortened rear arm and you probably couldn't register them anyway. I think they are more for offroad.

Go To Top