Author: Subject:  Vw mechanic for safety certificate
MemberJenbob
A.k.a.: Rob Harding
Casual Dubber

Threads: 18

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on August 2nd, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Vw mechanic for safety certificate

Hi everyone, bought a beetle recently and took it to Kmart to get a rwc/safety certificate, and the guys there didn't have a bloody clue, failed if on so much, alot of which is perfectly fine, for example it has retractable seatbelts, which are perfectly fine and they said it wasn't made with them so it's a fail, surely that isn't correct anyway, I need to find someone who knows vws, in the Brisbane area who will get us a rwc either garage or mobile, someone who isn't going to rape me, thanks rob
Member68BUS
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 19

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Berwildered

posted on August 3rd, 2012 at 07:03 AM

If you want an honest job without going to somewhere like K-Mart that has to cover the fact that there guys are useless enless there is a book in front of them (I have had problems in the past), go to a smaller mechanic who actually knows cars from a lifetimes experience.

They are still pretty strict but only on genuine mechanical issues - Corinda Mechanical on oxley road is good. If they say to fix something then you really should but they don't nit pick about minor items. Their roadworthy check was $60 for me but I get 2 cars serviced there so I am not sure if I get it a bit cheaper.
It turned up a lot of drive train issues on my beetle that did actually need fixing.
I got Rodger Wood from Southside VW to fix the issues for me as he will happily put in good 2nd hand parts if your budget does not allow new. He has a fella he uses for RWC but said he is very strict.

Otherwise on the northside you could speak with CustomVeeDub at Stafford. They have a good rep so are probably quite strict as well but could fix as they go. Have not heard anything bad about them yet.

1966 Aussie 11 Window
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on August 3rd, 2012 at 06:33 PM

It wasnt made with retractable seatbelts????

Older models were not made with laminated windscreens or steel belted tyres. By that reckoning you would have to find toughened windscreen and crossply tyres too.

Would you have to get a cassette player as well?

MemberJenbob
Casual Dubber

posted on August 3rd, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Haha
MemberJenbob
Casual Dubber

posted on August 3rd, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Booked in to custom veedub thanks for the heads up.
Memberhomer
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 30

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow

posted on August 4th, 2012 at 08:28 AM

although it may seem harsh, the guy is right about the seat belts. i had my datsun 1600 picked for the same thing. if you want to use your retractables just borrow a set of originals and refit the retractables later.

Go To Top