Board Logo

Getting back in the vw world. FINALLY
LiLBuggaH - October 1st, 2014 at 06:41 PM

After about 3 years of no bugs, I just cant do it anymore.

I had a project car that I bought when I was 16 that my dad had me convinced could be fixed and as I knew no better I bought it.
Well after 6 months of trying to fix it and getting no where I sought out advice from my father in law who restored a torana from the ground up I gave him pictures and found out the bug was stuffed, someone had cut and tried to reweld the beauty line and roof and had failed at doing so.
I relised the bug was a huge job and honestly couldn't do it myself so I sold her.
since then I have had a bub and planning my wedding and have decided to buy another one.
It has been so hard not having bugs in my life.
I have found my dream bug that is for sale at the moment and if I had the 10k he is asking for I would buy her in a heart beat.
I have decided that when the time comes to buy I will be doing a lot of checks over the car.

Sorry for the rant just feels so good to think in the next 12months I will have my dream car.

Camo - October 1st, 2014 at 07:49 PM

That dream car that is 10k to buy will probably cost you 15-20k to build, unless you do every bit of it yourself (including spray painting).

When I was looking (2007), if someone said just buy one for 9k I would have said no way am I spending that much. Well I did my own build and the plan changed along the way and ended up costing a hell of a lot more. Just as a guide the efi/turbo engine I'm building has cost me 15k in parts and parts made (inlet plenums etc).

Not meaning to dampen your dreams, just communicating my experience and 2c worth.

Kev

vlad01 - October 1st, 2014 at 08:13 PM

yeah its worth buying the best but still the most original car you can.

Even then its will still cost a lot to restore it but hellva lot cheaper and less frustrating than to build up one from a shitter car in the first place.

been there done that. Just last week that "mistake" was loaded on to a tow truck and gone to the scrap. New car rolled in to its place which took me 4+ years of solid searching to find.

And I'm much happier now :spin: