Board Logo

what colour is the Bill Ford & Barry Ferguson, Beetle
anths - October 16th, 2014 at 06:59 PM

Hi guys ,
Im trying to figure out what colour Bill Ford & Barry Ferguson, Volkswagen is any idea's
Cheers

HappyDaze - October 16th, 2014 at 08:05 PM

Alabaster, in 1963.

anths - October 16th, 2014 at 08:33 PM

Wow I would never have picked it to be alabaster grey with a green/black stripe ,but the more I look at it!
I have been trying to research this little car and the details have been hard to come

Thanks for your response
cheers

Phil74Camper - October 17th, 2014 at 09:45 AM

Neither of those VWs in that photo are the Ferguson-Ford VW, which was #54. The photo you've posted is actually from the following year's race in 1964, and shows the #43 VW of Neil McKay and Bernie Haehnle (later a keen Formula Vee driver), which finished 11th in class. I can't quite make out the number of the second VW.

Below is a photo of the class-winning #54 VW from 1963. That VW was entered by Lanock Motors Ltd, the NSW distributor of Volkswagen vehicles and the largest VW dealer chain.

There was a follow-up story to this car published, I think, in Modern Motor magazine a year or so after the 1963 race. The Ferguson/Ford '63 race car was used to drive across the Simpson Desert! I may have a photocopy of the article at home, I will have to check. I don't know what happened to the car after its outback trip, but it would have been pretty stuffed by then.

Greg do you have any photos of the #57 VW you drove with Graham White? Do you know what became of that car? Did it roll at Murray's Corner about lunchtime on race day?

Phil74Camper - October 17th, 2014 at 09:48 AM

This is a model of the Ferguson-Ford VW that a keen enthusiast has made. If you look closely, he has had to use a '65 or later Euro Beetle kit (so the windows are too large) but he has done an excellent job of making it look like an Australian '63 Standard model.

Google the ozautobuilders forum to find the link.

XXX-1.8T - October 17th, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Hi Phil

Got any colour footage or pics of the Audi Super 90 raced at Bathurst by David McKay / George Reynolds in 1967?

Cheers,
Costa...

HappyDaze - October 17th, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Yes Phil, rolled and righted - without losing a place...unlike Little's Mini.:rolleyes:

This is the only photo I have found of 'my' car [which was also Alabaster, by the way]. Macquarrie Motors, Bathurst entered the car....maybe they knocked the turret back out, and put it on their used-car lot. :rolleyes: That's Charlie Smith changing the Mini's front wheel....the only tools that you were allowed to use were those provided with the car when sold new!

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/happydaze8/Race%20cars/CharliesMiniFlattyre_zps49034629.jpeg

Phil74Camper - October 17th, 2014 at 11:39 AM

What a great photo Greg! What a pity none of the 1960-64 VW race cars were preserved for the Bathurst race museum - or even any replicas prepared since.

Costa, Autopics does have some photos of the Audi for sale if you want to invest some money for high-res prints:

http://autopics.com.au/67721-mckay-reynolds-audi-s90-chivas-stewart-alfa-rome...

http://autopics.com.au/67722-mckay-reynolds-audi-s90-bathurst-1967/ 

The Audi Super 90 #57 was entered in Class D ($3,000-$4,500), entered by Scuderia Veloce (who interestingly were NOT a VW-Audi dealer). The car completed 122 laps, only 8 behind the winning Falcon XR GT of Harry Firth and Fred Gibson (which was also Class D). The Audi finished 6th in class and 16th overall.

The 1967 race was the second and last one named the Gallaher 500, as the sponsorship had changed in 1966 from Armstrong shock absorbers. Gallaher were (are) a cigarette manufacturer that owns Benson & Hedges, amongst others. In 1968 the race became the Hardie-Ferodo 500.

anths - October 17th, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Thanks guys yes your right about the picture I was a little side tracked when posted and didn't noticed till now it's listed number 38 W. Ford / B. Ferguson - Volkswagen 1200 - Bathurst 1964

So number 54 still alabaster grey with plain green stripe...?

I appreciate the help many thanks anthony

Phil74Camper - October 21st, 2014 at 11:45 AM

This was a preview of the 1963 race, the first one to be held at Bathurst after 3 years at Phillip Island. Published in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Phil74Camper - October 21st, 2014 at 11:46 AM

And this was the report on the results.

Ampdub - October 26th, 2014 at 08:26 AM

Great history