Board Logo

Why does everyone have to run into our Beetle
helbus - October 21st, 2014 at 05:50 PM

This is getting ridiculous. In the past we have had two people run into the back of our Beetle while stopped at a red light. One of which admitted he was reading a text. The other was a Taxi.

So a couple months ago someone backs into the front of the Beetle and does a runner, and the police report caught them.

Today someone backs into the side of it while the Mrs is backing into our driveway. They backed from a parking spot into the side of our car. They reckon it is our fault as you should not back into a driveway. Well I fail to see which part of a moving vehicle they could not care to see, and backed into the side of. The Beetle was half in the driveway at the time, and they went from being parked, to driving backwards into our car.

Who is at fault?

Special Air Service - October 21st, 2014 at 06:12 PM

they hit you........

Yogie - October 21st, 2014 at 06:13 PM

They hit you, you did not hit them so I believe it is their fault as they did not look where they were going (driving without due care and attention?).

Sorry to hear about the string of accidents though. Good luck with the rebuilds.

Yogie

HappyDaze - October 21st, 2014 at 06:42 PM

You need to get the car de-magnetised.

hulbyw - October 21st, 2014 at 08:51 PM

Damn, don't buy a lottery ticket Pete.
I live opposite a police officer and both he and I always reverse into our driveways so that we can drive straight out. Tell em they are talking BS.
Cheers.......Wayne

landfall - October 21st, 2014 at 08:53 PM

You are leaving a road related area, they are entering a road related area.

No contest, collect the money.

I love the resurrection of the old wives tale, "Your not allowed to reverse into your driveway."

Where do they get this from?

helbus - October 21st, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Well you have to either reverse in or out of most driveways. I spoke to the driver of the other vehicle this evening. I told her she was in the wrong, as she backed into my car. My car has damage on the side. I have asked for a conservative $250 to purchase a second hand rear fender and paint it. Lucky for her it was not a Lexus she hit. I just want the Beetle to be as it was.

Just waiting for the next retard to hit it.

Deadpan - October 22nd, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Have trouble trying to work out how, unless you have multidirectional wheels, you can hit someone with the side of your poor bug

XXX-1.8T - October 22nd, 2014 at 01:09 PM

ask for more! screw them!

helbus - October 22nd, 2014 at 05:02 PM

I spoke to her today, and she told me to go through my insurance, as she wont be making a claim as there is no damage to her vehicle and doesn't care. It was the spare wheel on the back of her 4WD. I rang my insurance, and they said it is difficult when two people are reversing at the same time. So I will have to pay an excess until they get her to pay (if it can be proved) I can't be bothered arguing, so I have gotten hold of another rear fender, and will paint it and put it on. I am just tired of people caring only about themselves. I saw someone today walk up to their car, put a disposable coffee cup under their car, then get in and drive off. They couldnt even take the time to put it on the floor in their own car and put it in the bin when they get home.

vduboy - October 22nd, 2014 at 05:35 PM

We just got my wife a Honda Civic, her first new car, and some asshat opened their door into the side of it... The note with their details must have blown away.. :grind:
People suck. You weren't reversing, you were stopped in your driveway. As said before beetles can't drve sideways. I'd go through insurance too mate.

landfall - October 23rd, 2014 at 03:58 PM

A good clue for anyone.

Report the accident to the police, no matter how trivial, then you can inform your insurance company that a police report was made.

I had someone reverse out of there driveway into my vehicle with enough force to feel the bang. They blissfully drove off. Large 4X4 versus bug, a slight dent in the bumper and a very angry owner. I was stationary at the time.

Reported it to the police and they treated it as a hit and run.

Other driver charged and prosecuted, also paid for bumper repair.

I had teaching someone to drive at the time and we were getting ready to reverse park.

vduboy - October 23rd, 2014 at 05:20 PM

x2 very good advice. If the cops come they have to charge someone and it helps massively with getting a good outcome. As long as you're not the guy at fault..

Ampdub - October 24th, 2014 at 08:17 AM

Yeah cops all the way, also first thing you do before getting out of car is to start video recording on your phone, just hold onto it but you dont have to make it obvious as this will give you further evidence. they will just start talking and sink themselves, or if they get angry thats recorded too.

donn - October 24th, 2014 at 09:38 AM

not sure what happens in other states but here in NSW the law has recently been changed. The only time you need to call the cops is if someone is injured or one or both parties are under the influence of drugs, including alcahol, now how do you know if their DUI, well you only need to SUSPECT !, I reckon if they started up with those piss poor excuses and wierd reasons why their nott at fault then they would have to be under the influence of something, wouldn't they?, I'd be straight on the phone to the cops.

pfillery - October 24th, 2014 at 11:41 AM

If the other driver was on the road and reversing, the onus is on them to give way to all other traffic. As you were reversing into a driveway, you are already partly through that action when they hit you (if you were partly to blame it would have been the front or the back of your car that was hit) so they are at fault.

If you were driving forwards into your driveway and they hit you in the same manner, would it somehow be different in their eyes? Assuming you drove along on the correct side of the street and drove into your driveway, even if they had started to reverse, they are supposed to stop and wait for you. Its a bit tricky if you were parallel to them and reversed from there. You may get through it with no excess but depends how good your claims assessor is.

Good luck, hope things improve.....

anths - November 3rd, 2014 at 11:54 AM

you don't have to pay the excess to make a claim only when your found at fault so do what I did "tell them you will make the claim and have been advised not to pay excess as that is admitting liability" when damage's are proven to be at your fault then you will pay the excess for repair to be done

cheers anthony