Board Logo

Post Master General
kathawkephotos - June 4th, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Hi All,

Does anyone have any info, photos or leads to the aforementioned regarding PMG???
Specifically during the 60's/ involving Splitty's??

I have only found two photos in the public records but they're both of bay's, not splitty's...

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated, even if you know someone who used to work for PMG. Any leads at all would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Kat

tracash242 - June 5th, 2015 at 06:41 AM

there is not much info out there have you looked on DSK question got asked there a few times there is a few pics but not any old ones im also looking as I have one that im going to rat it,a few tell tale signs are a trip speedo,holes for a ladder rack,which im trying to find out what they looked like ,any way hope some info comes aswell,

Phil74Camper - June 5th, 2015 at 09:14 AM

Trove is your friend Kat!

The PMG was established at Federation in 1901 to handle all postal and telecommunications. It was split up in 1975, with phone services handled by Telecom and postal by Australia Post. Telecom became Telstra in 1995 and have since been privatised. Who knows, Australia Post may go that way too.

TYou might try contacting the Victorian Telecommunications Museum in Hawthorn to see if they have any more information on PMG Kombis:

http://www.vtmuseum.org.au/ 

sgetty - June 5th, 2015 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil74Camper
Trove is your friend Kat!

The PMG was established at Federation in 1901 to handle all postal and telecommunications. It was split up in 1975, with phone services handled by Telecom and postal by Australia Post. Telecom became Telstra in 1995 and have since been privatised. Who knows, Australia Post may go that way too.

TYou might try contacting the Victorian Telecommunications Museum in Hawthorn to see if they have any more information on PMG Kombis:

http://www.vtmuseum.org.au/ 

off topic a bit i know

I think it may only be a matter of time with Australia Post. LPO's (licensed post office) seem to be set up in way that it would make them an easy transition into franchises. In the last two years i have noticed alot of LPO's been brought by a certain ethnic group (i mean no racial discrimination by that just an observation).Privatisation was ruled out last year by the government but history shows that means nothing.

empi - June 5th, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Big Rick at Volksrecycle had a PMG splitty, may still have it, ask him Kat

1303Steve - June 6th, 2015 at 08:38 AM

Hi

I worked at the PMG for a short time in the early 70s, split Kombis and austerity 6 volt model bugs were everywhere in a beautiful red with gold PMG writing, so were old Falcon and Holden utes.

They were treated like any other work vehicle, like Falcondoors and Camrys of today. If people only knew what they would be worth one day.

Steve

Bizarre - June 6th, 2015 at 09:22 AM

Ian Cummings http://www.cumminscars.com/cummins-classic-cars-australia  had an original PMG splitty deluxe bus for sale a few years ago.

Patina'd but in remarkable condition (like all their cars)

See if i can find a picture

Bizarre - June 6th, 2015 at 09:48 AM

Found them - Not the best but here you go

All the PMG's I have seen were vans. Never seen a bus before.

Love to know where it is now

kathawkephotos - June 14th, 2015 at 06:06 PM

Thanks so much everyone, the help is much appreciated!

Bizarre: You have no idea how helpful those two pics are!!
Trashcash: will definitely be hitting up DSK now they've finally approved me haha! I'll let you know if i find any new info :)
Phil74: Thanks for the photo, any little bit of info helps solve the jigsaw about my bus! and dare i ask what you meant by "Trove"...?
Empi: going to give him a bell soon, if he does still have it i might pop in next time i'm down :)
Steve: yeah unfortunately they were exactly that: work vehicles. Still, my one got out in one piece more or less :P

Bizarre - June 14th, 2015 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kathawkephotos
and dare i ask what you meant by "Trove"...?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ 

Bizarre - June 14th, 2015 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kathawkephotos
Still, my one got out in one piece more or less :P

Tell us more Kat!

Bizarre - June 14th, 2015 at 08:51 PM

found a better pic of it

have a read here
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=66814&page=1#pid626811 

maybe give Dasdubber a call
"That PMG split is Guy Harding's old bus - I drove it to Valla one year - lots of fun!"

vwsteve - June 15th, 2015 at 12:25 PM

I bought this old angora goat bus off guy harding years ago too, when I took the blue off it was like this under

vwsteve - June 15th, 2015 at 12:26 PM

wombatventures - June 15th, 2015 at 06:29 PM

We spotted an ex PMG Split single cab in Moonta a couple of years ago. Had a yarn with the bloke. Gave him my number if he ever wanted to sell it. Seen it a couple of times since. No word so far though.

VDU.88A - June 16th, 2015 at 06:39 PM

Spotted this one in 2009 near Newcastle heading north.

Bizarre - June 16th, 2015 at 06:54 PM

^^^^ gotta be the same one
Cant believe there is 2 of the suckers

It was 2007 - 2008 when I saw it

VDU.88A - June 16th, 2015 at 07:13 PM

I just checked the info on my pic was taken in 2009. So it is probably the same one one you saw Bizarre

tracash242 - July 3rd, 2015 at 08:03 PM

some good info there .wonder how many of these there is left with original red paint

kombibob - July 3rd, 2015 at 08:15 PM

Last I saw of that PMG was here on the Sunshine Coast only a few months ago.

okrasa power - July 4th, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Yes it's mine be in Sydney soon

Mikki

kathawkephotos - July 4th, 2015 at 08:31 PM

This isn't the one that rick has down in melb is it Okrasa Power?

okrasa power - July 4th, 2015 at 09:53 PM

Yes mate that's the one, will be on the move soon to Sydney

Looking forward to it

Mikki

Guy_H - October 8th, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Yes, that my old Bus - It came out of SA, then Via Steve Muller - I owned it for many years, then got scammed by an A**hole in Melbourne who did me very wrong.

It ended up in a vintage car place in Sydney.

Glad it's still around. We did a fair bit of work underneath to keep it original & mechanically good.

If the new owner needs any info - give me a call. Did quite a few miles in the old girl.

roverv8bay - October 13th, 2015 at 07:21 PM

Good evening all. I did a conversion in about 89 on a clean PMG van inside was spotless ass all it ever had was mail bags in it. I fitted Toyota discs with early bay calipers to beam & IRS out of same bay. It had 12 slot GT falcon wheels apart from that it was bog stock. all the parts were off my 67 split ex Army. I would love to find out where it ended up

lauzboy - October 14th, 2015 at 02:47 PM

So PMG later split to become Aus Post and Telecom (and later Telstra). The Telstra Museum's may be able to assist
http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/company-overview/history/telstra-museums/ 

NOTE: i used to work for Telstra Fleet before they outsourced this function

PHAT BUG - October 19th, 2015 at 12:18 PM

I know it's only a bay, but this one is in Bendigo Vic......

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/phatvw/728BBB81-D3CA-421D-B626-A5AF4B92D101.png

winerot - October 19th, 2015 at 01:33 PM

Same bus Brisbane motor show 2006