Board Logo

Sandblaster advice ??
BrisDubba - September 15th, 2015 at 04:40 PM

I am considering getting one of those sandblasting cabinets that you see at tradetools - big enough to squeeze a 15"rim in - has anyone used one in the hobby/ restoration world- I have a few sets of wheels and a 16cfm compressor and heaps of little things I could blast but am not sure how they go with wheels or if it is going to take me hours and should I just send the wheels off to a blaster - they are in pretty good nic already.

Thoughts ?

landfall - September 16th, 2015 at 06:45 AM

Once you have used one, you will wonder why you didn't have one in the first place.

The grit or abrasive can be expensive though and they do require a decent compressor (which you have).

I really miss mine, but these days in retirement and living in a unit with a small single garage, I haven't the space for one. Plus the neighbors would have a heart attack with all the noise from a large compressor.

You won't regret buying one, but as I said. Beware the running cost.

68BUS - September 16th, 2015 at 09:30 AM

Yep the blasters are good. Expect to replace bends and tips though. So make sure which ever one you have has a diameter hose that you can get replacement items for easily.
You can also use a t piece in the hoses to link two compressors.
I did this to run one of the pot blasters.
Did not seem to effect the compressors just gave me twice the volume of air before it had to replenish. (but I have 5 compressors at my disposal :no: )