Board Logo

carbies aint carbies?
Anthiron - October 13th, 2006 at 11:55 PM

been reading some old books like the jeff hibbards book, how to hot rod your volkswagen engine etc.

and noticed there is no mention of kadrons. now i can understand in the jeff hibbards book but he mentions alot of other carbies he doesnt like to use as well as ones he does. but in the other books about performance engine building there isnt a mention.

were kadrons not around back then? or were they not accepted much because they were single throat? not big in the USA?

or have i just missed their mention?

a lot of mention of zenith carbies. anyone run one of these? or 2 of these even?

i know theses are old books but i like old stuff

nick

Schmoburger - October 14th, 2006 at 12:36 AM

Hmmmmm.... Jumping on the aftermarket carbie bandwagon... does anybody here run bugsprays?

Ive read about em but never heard of anybody at least in Oz using a set. :spin:

Cheers!

VWCOOL - October 14th, 2006 at 02:40 AM

Maybe the book was written before Kaddies were invented

MUD BASHING ANYONE ?? - October 14th, 2006 at 10:00 AM

Dads manx has a bugspray but i think it should be used as a paper weight but maybe its just this one

vwjon - October 14th, 2006 at 10:19 AM

kadrons are a relativley new item, they started in the uk in the 90's, when they first arrived they weren't very good, but things got better and now they are a reasonable alternative to the worn standadrd nits, its quite suprizing that kadron can sell a pair of performance carbies for the price of a solex replacement!!

VDUBXTC - October 14th, 2006 at 10:38 AM

I had probs with my Kadrons offroad and i think the only other person i have seen with them on their buggy which was Lardo off this forum had dramas with them too

Not sure how common they are in the offroad vw world

Anthiron - October 14th, 2006 at 10:44 AM

yeah id heard that jace thats what i meant when i said i could understand about them not being in the jeff hibbards book.

i guess they just werent around then if they were invented in the 90's

anyone run a zenith?

Oasis - October 14th, 2006 at 11:14 AM

Everything you wanted to know about Kads: http://www.lowbugget.com/ 

Joel - October 14th, 2006 at 05:42 PM

schmo those Holley 2110 or bugspray carbs are crap thats why no one uses them anymore
they have 2 settings idle or flat stick LOL

i had one a few years ago but i took to it with a sledge hammer (no joke!) after it gave me the shits one to many times

kadrons/solexs are a good all round base product twin carb setup
that said tho i ditched my twins for a single 40mm weber
goes just as hard and 10 times easier to keep in tune
plus kdogs have a shitfull linkage setup

-Joel

ancientbugger - October 14th, 2006 at 06:43 PM

Kadrons were available in the early 80's in the UK. They were cheap but that was all you could say about them then. They were on sale through Veewees (now German and Swedish) and Volkspares.

BOOMERDOG - October 14th, 2006 at 07:16 PM

back in the uk i used to run a holley bug spray back around '88 ,they were crap!.
kadrons have improved over the years ,but the original linkage was a pile of poo !...lol.
in my experience dual twin weber idf 's are the way forward, money well spent.:thumb

ctefeh - October 14th, 2006 at 07:26 PM

Small hijack..

Joel,
What problems with the Bugspray? I'm halfway through fixing one up that had some serious no-no's done to it by a PO but it appears reasonable all the same.

Apart from the skyscraper manifold you need, the cast iron base freezing up due to insufficient heat, weird offsets for the throttle arm and the fact they sold them to buggy owners without a suitable needle/seat..anything else:P?

BOT..Zeniths are old school as well, but Weber offered conversions for them and I reckon a lot went to the tip. As I've found, parts for old school carbs takes a hell of a lot of finding, but they are out there.

You can still buy Bugspray/Zenith manifolds in the US, and I remember one of the guys in Adelaide(?) has a few Bugsprays. In fact someone had a Zenith for sale not long ago on the board.

Ctefeh

[ Edited on 14/10/2006 by ctefeh ]

Joel - October 14th, 2006 at 08:53 PM

ctefeh, there are ppl out there that have put the time and energy into making bug sprays work but a weber works 10x better straight outta the box
the main problem i found was a lack of parts, serious icing up even with manifold heat and they have a hopeless transition from idle upto 1500rpm and like u said its like having a sky scraper in ur engine bay

-Joel

Schmoburger - October 14th, 2006 at 09:08 PM

Ah so bad juju by the sound of it hehehe... that explains why i havent seen hyde nor hair of em here! :lol:

Sandy - October 15th, 2006 at 07:26 PM

I used to run twin Zeniths. A lot of old school guys got really excited when they saw them, but they were replaced by webers and I haven't looked back.

VWCOOL - October 15th, 2006 at 08:02 PM

I reckon I've done close to 200,000 kays on Kaddies in the past 17 years, I reckon they're pretty foolproof.

ie; you'd have to be foolish to stuff them up, they are so simple and reliable once you get some better 'clips' for the linkage

Craig Torrens - October 15th, 2006 at 08:08 PM

I must be doing something wrong...................I had a bugspay on a 1640cc in a Baja and it was great, through the whole rev range.......................and I have never had probs with Kads!

Anthiron - October 15th, 2006 at 10:50 PM

theres talk of a holley 5200 and a holley 2100

does someone know what the differences were?

5200 progressive? 2100 non progressive?

most of the books seem to talk up the bug spray saying how good they were. is it just because all the bug sprays getting around now are worn out and jetted and venturied wrong?

[ Edited on 15-10-2006 by Anthiron ]

Schmoburger - October 16th, 2006 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthiron

most of the books seem to talk up the bug spray saying how good they were. is it just because all the bug sprays getting around now are worn out and jetted and venturied wrong?

[ Edited on 15-10-2006 by Anthiron ]

Yeh... that's what piqued my interest... the fact that most period VW publications talk it up as the best thing since bread came sliced, yet I never hear about em now, at least not in Australia. :)

COuld it be that like the 009 distributer, they perform well under racing conditions, but are shit when it comes to everyday use?

Joel - October 16th, 2006 at 06:31 PM

it was partly coz they were new yea but i'd say it was more coz they didnt have much to compare it too
webers are miles ahead of the old holleys
bugsprays came in 2 models the 200 and 300
many ppl put the bigger 300 on standard motors then had these huge flat spots so they got bad name
the 200s worked alright on 1600 or smaller but most ppl just thought bigger was better and got the 300 and whacked them on 1200s and 1300s

-Joel

VWCOOL - October 16th, 2006 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:

COuld it be that like the 009 distributer, they perform well under racing conditions, but are shit when it comes to everyday use?

I've had a 009 with the Kaddies for 200,000km, too - never had a drama with it either...

But yeah, I reckon a Holley Bugspray would be well-worn by now and may not be as crisp as when new

[ Edited on 16-10-2006 by VWCOOL ]

Anthiron - October 16th, 2006 at 08:06 PM

so what webers are still made new now? if any? whats too old now and not worth worrying about?

ive also got a 009 and although i had a huge flat spot when i bought the car, rebuil;ding the carby and careful tuning eliminated it.

amazeer - October 16th, 2006 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmoburger

Every second VW in Australia is running a 009 for the street and most have no problems.

Schmoburger - October 16th, 2006 at 08:53 PM

yeh, mine's one of em heheh... theyre adequate... but IMO they dont compare to a bus running a vac dizzy. just my asshole tho :kiss

Its a matter of how much ya wanna fiddle fart around with tuning tho... same as somebody said about the holley :)

Isnt it interesting how this thread has gone from discussing kad's and zeniths, to bugsprays, and now to mechanical advance dizzys?! :lol:

Anthiron - October 16th, 2006 at 09:37 PM

u might find its not your dissy but your carbie schmo.

see how it all filters back to carbies:blush

Schmoburger - October 16th, 2006 at 09:43 PM

Always a possibility... but I still dont think much of 009's hehe

but that's what Ive got and I cant justify spendng the quids on a vac so it stays heheheh. :lol:

Cheers man!
Kieran

ancientbugger - October 16th, 2006 at 09:52 PM

When I was a young lad etc. back in the UK I was determined to get Webbers for my bug but blokes I knew at the time had all kinds of problems keeping twins set up properly on VWs, always having to set and reset them ( we are talking nearly 30 years ago) but I was put onto what I consider the best carb made the Reece Fish. They were more expensive but from what I experienced they were worth every penny. On the street they revved smoothly, no flat spots and my beetle ( and KG) felt like the engine was twice the size. As I said earlier Kads were a cheap replacement at the time for the standard Solex not a performance carb now sadly I have to go with what I can afford if that wasn't the case I would certainly be hunting down a Reece Fish or two.

ancientbugger - October 16th, 2006 at 09:54 PM

By the way Nick if you're not working this weekend I'm going up Teewah if you want to come along!

Anthiron - October 16th, 2006 at 10:24 PM

i just got a new job barry at the kawana waters hotel . working this weekend. and probobly every weekend for the rest of my life

and then that week u were saying u were coming up to caloundra i had to work my days off:mad:

so still havnt got around to coming down with that rear cover for you.

next week ha ha.

i really do need to get down there.

promise ill make an effort next week:spin: