Board Logo

need advice on lawn mowers
barls - September 7th, 2007 at 11:19 PM

anyone in sydney work at a mower shop, cause mine just shit itself big time and im looking to replace it but am unsure about the current models. id rather deal with a dubber than anyone else?
anyone in the other states have any advice on the new models?

56astro - September 8th, 2007 at 10:31 AM

I was always a 4-stoke fan,

but after speaking with a few contractors they put me onto the 2-stroke Suzuki powered Rover.

It's a great mower, alloy deck, mulch & catch.

bond - September 8th, 2007 at 11:26 AM

try to not let a fellow dubber convince you that the mower is "rare" or "nos"

nick

mscabrio - September 8th, 2007 at 02:58 PM

Just get rid of it and hire a person to mow your lawns for you!! That way you can spend more time with your dubs ....

helbus - September 8th, 2007 at 04:33 PM

Ebay. I got a Masport (cheaper frame) running a Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp 4 stroke. It was only a couple of years old. For $60

greedy53 - September 8th, 2007 at 05:40 PM

i just aquired a talon 4 stroke $290 good mower i have no evil things happened yet and the after buying service is really good never had a service program for a mower before

pod - September 8th, 2007 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy53
i just aquired a talon 4 stroke $290 good mower i have no evil things happened yet and the after buying service is really good never had a service program for a mower before

thats because you had to sell the goats:thumb:lol::crazy:

greedy53 - September 8th, 2007 at 07:24 PM

you said you wouldn't bring that up now i'll pine away again for my lovers

greedy53 - September 8th, 2007 at 07:25 PM

you said you wouldn't bring that up now i'll pine away again for my lovers

waltermitty - September 8th, 2007 at 09:05 PM

Hi Barls,
As a turf manager I have some advice. GET AN AIR COOLED ONE ...LOL.
Seriously though if you have a sloping yard go a two stroke as when 4 strokes are on angles they can get starved for oil but otherwise 4 strokes are better, If you have the money get the homda if not get a " contractors " Masport. these are stronger than domestic. look models with wheel bearing many cheapies have plastic hubs / also look for strong height adjusters.And chasies. as usual you get what you pay for.

Craig Torrens - September 9th, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Where's JVL when you need him.......................he knows about lawn mowers.:D

barls - September 9th, 2007 at 09:00 AM

cheers guys im going looking tomorrow

hellbugged - September 9th, 2007 at 09:57 AM

honda 4 stroke, self propelled gets my vote.

i've given two of these hell for over 15 years and they're both still going strong.

self propolsion takes the "work" out of mowing. friends that lend them are amazed at how much less energy the mow takes..............more energy left for more important aircooled fun:yes:

rob53 - September 9th, 2007 at 07:18 PM

I would get a four stroke briggs and stratton one. They still make most parts for even the older engines and are reasonably priced.
Stay away from some of the cheapies from big w, kmart and etc. The decks are rubbish, they rust to pieces in no time.
My old mans briggs and stratton mower is still going after 25 years!
You can buy new engines also. (I think under $200), but goin by the price of new mowers it might not be worth it unless you have a really good mower (minus engine) to start with.

vwrallycar - September 9th, 2007 at 07:33 PM

i can recommend the suzuki 2 stroke powered rover mower, mine is over 20 years old, never been touched, just keeps on going.
failing that, go a honda. keep away from briggs and stratton

byronbus - September 9th, 2007 at 08:22 PM

Honda Buffalo 4 stroke, self propelled, its a machine...

Craig Torrens - September 9th, 2007 at 09:22 PM

Barls, do you have a budget or price range ?

I'm assuming the Honda's aren't cheap ?

byronbus - September 10th, 2007 at 01:14 PM

$1300

barls - September 10th, 2007 at 03:35 PM

im looking around the 600-800 buck mark. i went down to the local place and the honda buck looks the goods but we will see what the gf says

The Bigfella - September 10th, 2007 at 05:51 PM

I was overseas when our mower shat itself in 1991. The wife bought the replacement - so its her mower. She mows the lawn. Wanna borrow her?

frank2112 - September 11th, 2007 at 04:24 PM

I scored my old man's Hopnda mower when he retired and it hasn't missed a beat. It must be well over 10 years old now. He bought another Honda when they moved to the coast. Can't fault them. I killed 2 Victa's over the years (one was from 1973).

Adsman - September 11th, 2007 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bigfella
I was overseas when our mower shat itself in 1991. The wife bought the replacement - so its her mower. She mows the lawn. Wanna borrow her?

:lol:

sounds even better than calling Jims......but seriously how does she feel when you have a beer while watching her mow. I can only imagine
:mad: :kiss :grind: :vader :smilegrin:

glider69 - September 11th, 2007 at 07:00 PM

pay someone to do it this way you can spend more time with your toys

barls - September 17th, 2007 at 09:14 PM

i ended up with the honda buck so now i only have to set up the hammock for when the gf tries it out on the weekend

Matt Ryan - September 18th, 2007 at 09:46 AM

What about a ride on mower?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/myran13/66kv7ep.jpg

Regards,

Matt.

vsleepy - September 18th, 2007 at 08:12 PM

I hear Jim's pretty good.

qldcabmatt - October 7th, 2007 at 09:19 PM

nobodys sugested vw yet?

This was mine when we had a farm a few years ago, beetle pan, kombi donk and kearbox, 3'6" cutting deck and a hell of a lot of fun.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/matt_e_bear/bug1jpg.jpg