Board Logo

mollydooker - September 12th, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a 73 superbug a month ago. It is mustard and needs a fir bit of work, inside and out. I plan to restore it, not original, and I cannot do it myself. It will be a slow process as my husband is not interested in old cars. But I hope to get my boys interested. The car is registered and I cannot stop driving it. I have four children so I am limited to when I can use it. I presume the resoration must start with the paintwork.

Regards Molly

barls - September 12th, 2007 at 10:43 AM

hows the rust state in it? does it have any? thats where you want to start.
also welcome to the nut house

[ Edited on 12-9-07 by barls ]

kombikim - September 12th, 2007 at 12:52 PM

I think it is not a good idea to start with paintwork, which is just appearance & makes you feel better, a lot of people start that, spend a lot of money, & then find that ythey can't afford to fix mechanical issues that have arisen, if you wish to respray then you should have all the mechanicals & any hidden body damage thoroughly sussed out first, also let us know which part of Aust you are in

Adsman - September 17th, 2007 at 03:00 AM

start with rust in tunnel/ channels/ floorpan/ window surrounds. if all good give them a dose of lanotec or similar then start on mechanicals & electrics

mollydooker - October 1st, 2007 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
quote]Originally posted by barls
hows the rust state in it? does it have any? thats where you want to start.
also welcome to the nut house

[ Edited on 12-9-07 by barls ]

yes it has a bit of rust on the rear and a few dints. It needs a new interior. As we only intend to drive it aroiund town for now I will leave the engine alone for some time. Sorry my reply is so long, I am not much of an internet junkie. Regards Molly