Board Logo

Importing a Beetle from USA
I Wana Herbie - December 24th, 2007 at 09:47 PM

Hi Guys,

Has any one here imported a beetles from the states before? I am looking to buy one and just wonderign how much it would cost to ship one to sydney + all the import fees ect. just a ball park figure and any recomended shipping companies would be great.

thanks for your help guys :)

Cheers,
Alex.
xela8@hotmail.com

Brad - December 24th, 2007 at 09:53 PM

$4000

Joel - December 25th, 2007 at 11:22 AM

unless its a cab or split why?

ancientbugger - December 25th, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Don't forget the cost of converting from left to right hand drive! My sister imported my cab (when she owned it!) and the conversion was the expensive part of the whole thing, mind you it is really well done and worth all the money, sadly Volksrestore in Brissie no longer exists (please correct me if I'm wrong).

dvs_vw - December 25th, 2007 at 12:55 PM

you wouldn't have to convert it, especially if it was a model that didn't come RHD you'd leave it for originalities sake, plenty of LHD cars around Oz.......

I Wana Herbie - December 25th, 2007 at 01:58 PM

its not a cab or oval. its a early 60's beetle.

i am looking at buying a movie used herbie from herbie fully loaded.

I wouldnt need to convert it would i?

but yeh just wondering what the ball park figure would be for shipping it here, and if any one knows any good shipping companies

xornge666x - December 25th, 2007 at 06:18 PM

You dont need to convert it if its a certain age... I think yours is old enough.
If you havent owned it in the US, the taxes and duties will cost. As far as I know you have to pay GST on the sale price, and also the shipping. That is on top of customs import fees. Depending on the car, I think a lot of the time it is worth buying something done from the US, as long as it comes with everything you need to put it on the road there.

I Wana Herbie - December 29th, 2007 at 01:31 PM

can any one recomend any shipping copanies?

pod - December 29th, 2007 at 02:51 PM

have a look in Just Cars magazine ,plenty of advertisers shipping in from the states:tu:

bond - December 29th, 2007 at 07:08 PM

pm sent

karmannghia60 - December 29th, 2007 at 08:05 PM

I used Brock Autos in Melbourne before twice. Good service and reasonable price. $2,800 to Melb. Custom duties and GST are on top. Last car I shipped was declared at $7k, my fees inclusive of everything was jsut over $3.5k
Raf