Board Logo

1974 kombi
Turkeyss - January 6th, 2008 at 07:59 AM

G'day. I've been told where i can get my hands on an original ok condition '74 bus. was this a good year for kombi's? any drawbacks? what do they have that others dont?

Cheers, Rowan

baybuscamperkid - January 6th, 2008 at 12:38 PM

nothing wrong with a 74. It will have an 1800 instead of the later 2L but with that exception there were virtually no changes between 74 and the end of production.

Warrenm - January 6th, 2008 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turkeyss
G'day. I've been told where i can get my hands on an original ok condition '74 bus. was this a good year for kombi's? any drawbacks? what do they have that others dont?

Cheers, Rowan

74s are good as are most Kombis:blush:
Most 74s had 1800 though 1600 was an option.

Best of luck.

amazeer - January 8th, 2008 at 07:16 PM

cosmetic mostly. some prefer the black gauges of later years (easy retro fit). Some prefer the later smaller hinges on the engine lid. Rubberised steering wheel on later models. If its a good van buy it (mine were 74 and 75) The later accelerator pedal linkage system was nicer but you can retro fit that too with a bit of welding.

Slightly different steering column/ignition switch ? I know I changed mine cant remember why.

Turkeyss - January 9th, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Thx guys. Its in above average condition, original paint, original plates, has a rear bench installed, bairly any oil leaks, little sill rust, unreg'd. Really a pretty good car. Is $1000 (matesrates) a steal? or can u get a '74 for 1K anywhere?

Cheers, Rowan

amazeer - January 9th, 2008 at 12:12 PM

depends on mechanical condition and what it will cost to get registered. If ball joints are knackered, tie rods, drag links, steering box, brakes... and thats just the front end.

rocknrob - January 9th, 2008 at 04:41 PM

they can go from $200 to $20000 but if the engine and box are good you have nearly$1000 there:tu: