Board Logo

Rarest of the rare Type 3 acc
Tazz - January 7th, 2008 at 04:17 PM

second one i have ever seen for sale. I couldnt bring myself to put it on so i'm not bidding

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130186412971&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

Tazz

vw54 - January 7th, 2008 at 06:53 PM

aint seen that B4

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - January 7th, 2008 at 08:31 PM

me either....

could always get something close from bunnings if that sort of thing turns you on LOL

Tazz - January 7th, 2008 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LIFE IN THE LOW LANE
me either....

could always get something close from bunnings if that sort of thing turns you on LOL

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tazz

Tazz - January 7th, 2008 at 08:41 PM

Almost as rare as my Handbrake alarm.

Tazz

OZ Towdster - January 7th, 2008 at 08:46 PM

Who'd steal a Type 3 anyway :no::no::no:

bond - January 7th, 2008 at 09:22 PM

are there levels of rarity? super, mega, ultra????

Tazz - January 7th, 2008 at 09:35 PM

Well if dave aint seen one... its Ultra....

Tazz

pete wood - January 8th, 2008 at 08:12 AM

59pounds?! I bet he got it off a hillman...:punk:

Tazz - January 8th, 2008 at 08:20 AM

Now that brings back memories.... AHHHHH..... 58 hillman minx...

Tazz

pete wood - January 8th, 2008 at 01:31 PM

my grandmother had one... :td:

Hillman had a knack for building severe understeer into their cars. :lol:

Tazz - January 8th, 2008 at 03:34 PM

didnt have a problem with mine.... 1725cc alloy head... twin webbers....

Tazz

66deluxe - January 8th, 2008 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tazz
didnt have a problem with mine.... 1725cc alloy head... twin webbers....

Tazz

Madman:lol:

Notch Nut - January 8th, 2008 at 08:29 PM

That handle ruins the lines of the early Type 3 bonnet. If the bonnet had a chrome strip down the centre like the beetles did it would fit in a bit better. On it's own it just looks ugly.
Having a handle kinda makes it awkward to open the bonnet anyway as you need your fingers under the bonnet to move the latch. While your hand is under there you may as well use it to lift the hood while you are at it. No wonder it never caught on.....:crazy:

- Adam

65busser - January 8th, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Quote:

That handle ruins the lines of the early Type 3 bonnet. If the bonnet had a chrome strip down the centre like the beetles did it would fit in a bit better. On it's own it just looks ugly.

Zactly.

Tazz - January 8th, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Quote:

If the bonnet had a chrome strip down the centre like the beetles did it would fit in a bit better. On it's own it just looks ugly.

Like this one?

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/156479.jpg

Quote:

Having a handle kinda makes it awkward to open the bonnet anyway as you need your fingers under the bonnet to move the latch. While your hand is under there you may as well use it to lift the hood while you are at it. No wonder it never caught on.....

It would be mainly for bringing the bonnet down... specially if you didnt have the chrome moustache.

Tazz

pete wood - January 9th, 2008 at 07:23 AM

putting hillman parts on a VW would bring anyone down. :rolleyes:

BTW, maybe you'd be interested in this Hillman Tazz,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110210842244&in...

mmmm, understeer....:td:

Tazz - January 9th, 2008 at 09:10 AM

Nah... that ones too late a model
Had the same engine in my 58 minx and they go like a cut snake.

modulus - January 9th, 2008 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pete wood
Hillman had a knack for building severe understeer into their cars. :lol:

Probably due to the extra weight of the front handle...

hth

kombikim - January 9th, 2008 at 09:44 AM

the understeer wass mainly from a weird thing that they had that not many people know about - for some reason they had the front wheels steer parallel ie they both turned the same amount. With normal steering geometry the inside wheel turns in more because of the smaller radius of the inner turn. - it made a lot of tyre scrubbing on u turns, & interesting tight turns when road was wet & you were going quick.

pete wood - January 9th, 2008 at 10:36 AM

ackerman angle.

no doubt about the english, they are not the best car makers.

kombikim - January 9th, 2008 at 10:54 AM

yeah, that is the big word I was trying to think of, no idea why they did it that way on the Minx & even the Hunter, it made the steering heavier at low speed, even though older people were their biggest clients, the big humbers had ackerman angle steering, thank goodness, but still understeered heavily thanks to something like a 70/30 weight distribution, which for me made the transition straight from that to a swing axle beetle a bit nerve racking. on topic rarest of the rare is because that handle would be pretty useless & certainly detrimental to the clean lines of the car, so nobody ever wanted it.

Notch Nut - January 9th, 2008 at 05:50 PM

As most of us agree that the handle is ugly and useless, I wonder if the buyer would be interested in a hefty discount on the price offered?:D

I'll take it off his hands for a minimal fee.:spin: