Board Logo

Red Rock Deli Vs Kettle? No contest?
simoninoz - July 31st, 2008 at 08:56 AM

I've heard that Red Rock Deli are the best selling chip but a glance at the shelf the other night and Kettle looked to be much more popular, they weren't even on special. I do like the lemon and cracked pepper Red Rocks, they are all pretty good. The Kettle ones just look too manufactured to me, that odd crinkle business. I prefer a potato chip to at least look like it was once a potato.

68AutoBug - July 31st, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Red Rock Deli Sea Salt flavored chips...

I Love Em...

Lee

75% fat free

kyznet - July 31st, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Mmmmmm, chips. :) Don't really care which ones are on offer, they are both good. Especially like the Lime with Black Pepper ones.

MikeM - July 31st, 2008 at 11:42 AM

I'm a Kettle man. They use Aussie potatos not dodgy imports.

greedy53 - July 31st, 2008 at 11:57 AM

if it's free i like it

simoninoz - July 31st, 2008 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
I'm a Kettle man. They use Aussie potatos not dodgy imports.

Really? I didn't know that. I thought we could grow enough potatoes here. Seems daft to import potatos, heavy things that are mostly water. Maybe it's the stuff they used for extruded snacks like Twisties or whatever.

MikeM - July 31st, 2008 at 03:20 PM

Competition is firece for Quality Potatos. Maccas use a crapload of potatos.

Red Rock Deli is owned by Pepsico / Fritolay Huge multi-national.

Kettle started as a locally owned business, was joined up with snack brands Australia 6-7 or so years ago. Snack Brands Australia (Thins, CC's, Kettle, Frech Fires, etc) where purchased by Arnotts Biscuits in 2003?? or so to become "Arnotts Snack Foods". Arnotts Have recently sold the "Snacks" business to "Real Mcoy" who I think are wholey Australian owned.

simoninoz - July 31st, 2008 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
Competition is firece for Quality Potatos. Maccas use a crapload of potatos.

Red Rock Deli is owned by Pepsico / Fritolay Huge multi-national.

Kettle started as a locally owned business, was joined up with snack brands Australia 6-7 or so years ago. Snack Brands Australia (Thins, CC's, Kettle, Frech Fires, etc) where purchased by Arnotts Biscuits in 2003?? or so to become "Arnotts Snack Foods". Arnotts Have recently sold the "Snacks" business to "Real Mcoy" who I think are wholey Australian owned.

Wow that's exactley what I've just found out from looking on the net this past day.
Are you a layperson or know a bit about the industry?

h - July 31st, 2008 at 09:56 PM

hmmm mmm thats another reason i sooo like my kettles..

sinecure - August 1st, 2008 at 09:41 PM

Always been Kettle FTW. Even more so now. As someone who likes to support local, they can have all my chip business from this moment on!

Oh and h: MMMMMMMMMM, Fractal algorithms.

Phil74Camper - August 2nd, 2008 at 10:41 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tasty Jacks - insert your own joke here.

The chips are excellent too.

Whatever happened to Samboy chips?

donn - August 3rd, 2008 at 09:17 AM

And Panda, jumo

MikeM - August 3rd, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Tasty Jacks and Samboy are part of the "Snack Brands Australia" portfolio as recently sold to Real Mcoy.

MikeM - August 3rd, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by simoninoz
Are you a layperson or know a bit about the industry?

I work in the salty and sweet snack foods industry. Tend to keep my ear on the ground as to what is going on.