Board Logo

White wall inserts
Peter_D_C - December 22nd, 2008 at 06:26 PM

Hey everyone,

Just spent half the day picking up my freshly powdercoated wheels and at the tire shop putting some fresh rubber on, and trying to get my white wall inserts put in.

WHAT A DUD.

Not only did they not hug the tire very well, but after a 1km drive, they had worked their way off the rim on a few wheels. Long story short after a few attempts i had to get them taken off.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Im pretty devastated as they made the car look REALLY good...... :mad:

Special Air Service - December 22nd, 2008 at 07:15 PM

Have not personally used them (yet) but have you read the fitting instructions from the Lucas Tyres website?

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/PORTAWALL_INSTALLATION.htm 

and more info here.

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/ 

might be a common issue as I picked up an atlas whitewall off the side of the road the other day.

Cheers

Brendan

PartyHatCentral - December 22nd, 2008 at 07:30 PM

Firstly, it's hard to find someone that knows how to fit them correctly. Secondly, they're dangerous. Thirdly, they're made more for wide bulging crossplies and never seem to sit well against the tyre (and then they cut into your sidewall anyway). Did I say they're dangerous? Lastly, they don't seem to like being driven at speed for extended periods of time, as they crack and fly apart prematurely. Everybody I know who has ever used them have had blowouts and other problems, not to mention that they look terrible when they aren't firmly against the tyre (which is most of them out there) and falling apart. I'd never use them on any of my cars. You would be better to bite the bullet and pay for the real thing or have them etched into your choice of tyre. My 5c.

squizy - December 22nd, 2008 at 07:36 PM

Mine where on my car for over three years without a problem. 135's front didn't fit totally snug, but that's the price you pay. 165's rear never a problem. I'd say your fitter stuffed up, else the one's you bought weren't the best. Atlas are usually the best. What brand do you have?

XXX-1.8T - December 22nd, 2008 at 08:47 PM

yeah I only use Atlas ones and have been doing so for the last 5 years with out a problem.

If they are not Atlas they go to shite.

fit perfect on 165's not so well on 135's

Peter_D_C - December 23rd, 2008 at 01:24 PM

Yeah they are Atlas.

I was thinking maybe because the wheels were powder coated, that the inserts couldnt 'get grip' so to speak on the wheel. I would have thought that a edge that wraps over the bead would have been a better design.

They didn't fit so snug on the 175's on the front, but the 195's on the rear fit a little better (4 and 4.5 inch rims) As a poor graphical representation --> If tyre = | and white wall = ) then they fit like this = |)

After we had a few tries, the tyre guy mentioned the etching thing. Is this safe? Who does it?

silver - December 23rd, 2008 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by squizy
I'd say your fitter stuffed up, e

I agree,,,,,,,,, 5 years for me on 165's and 215's no problems yet

DUBJC - December 23rd, 2008 at 09:17 PM

I have been using the atlas portawalls for the last 6 years, no problem at all. Have also bought a couple of sets for some other cars i have, all 15" and not a problem. I even fitted the last set myself. Broke the bead of the tyre, cleaned the surface and put them in.

MrScooter - December 23rd, 2008 at 11:59 PM

had them on my split for 2 years, no probs. 175's.. when i had to get new tyres, changed to 205's with new atlas', i noticed they started to eat into the sidewalls. i reckon that the tyre width had a lot to do with this.

Phil74Camper - December 24th, 2008 at 07:23 AM

There are a few places around that do whitewall engraving, such as http://www.redwalltyres.com.au/  They usually set up a display at car shows, and they have been at the VW Nationals a few times.

I've had it done a couple of times. They look great when they are first done, but if you scuff or scrub the tyre against a kerb when you park, it ruins them. You could repair it with a fine brush but you would have to use latex paint.

DirkHedde - December 24th, 2008 at 01:29 PM

yes i would definately go with etching or a real white wall tyre though i think the tyres can get pricy. i too have heard of terrible stories of the white flaps

kathawkephotos - November 12th, 2014 at 02:59 PM

How do you go with etching onto tyres with raised lettering/ branding?
I have Nexens which have a fairly raised logo/ name on them...
I imagine that finely sanding them down level with the main sidewall would be a VERY bad idea... Any ideas on how to get around that?

Canni. - November 12th, 2014 at 09:55 PM

I just went real whitewalls as seemed there's plenty of debate on safety of either inserts or etching whitewalls and after having a tyre blow out due to inside cracked side walls whilst driving on the freeway I'm pretty cautious! For the etched and painted sidewalls I've seen it done and they do only shave off a small amount of sidewall and I know people who have had no issues with them. I think it looks a lot better than the inserts. But talking to a few tyre people they've all responded that there's a reason the side wall is that specific thickness.

ian.mezz - November 13th, 2014 at 06:59 AM

real white walls are the way to go.
every time I see a car with flappers. I think they look cheap

kathawkephotos - November 13th, 2014 at 08:29 PM

i agree completely, really whitewalls are the best! However at $200-300 a tyre, they are pretty pricey. Especially when you're a 23yr old with a certain lack of coin haha

tweety - November 13th, 2014 at 08:52 PM

Has flappers on my trike rear wheels. Not good at all. But we are talking 295 /50 r15 tyres here. And there is a slight bulge in the sidewall equals flapper rubbing on sidewall equals flapper going yellow quickly in a few months. Flapper lasts only 12 months and at 110kpg one took off after a short vibration....not impressed.

So odrered another couple and cut them down from the outside diameter which helped but still went yellow.

Now recently diamnond back tyres from USA have reached our shores from John Cain tyres Queensland of the same size 295/50r15. Next time will be getting a couple.
But I suggest flappers are better left for the skinnier tyres and there have been success stories here.

Gotta admit though they set the trike off. Front tyre is a white wall hot rod tyre. 600-16 purchased from antique tyres Melbourne.

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy330/eaglefree/IMG_0026-Copy.jpg

kathawkephotos - November 13th, 2014 at 09:09 PM

Yeah i've been trying to warrant the $$$ involved with genuine whitewalls.
John Cain has been telling me i should buy some off him ever since the day he brought my square back into aux for me haha.

carbonmonoxide - November 16th, 2014 at 03:31 PM

I have run the 13 inch Atlas flappers on my Borgward Isabella for years, even as a daily driver.

The trick to stopping them eating your sidewalls on Radial tyres is to spray Armorall or put tyre fitting grease behind them once a fortnight or so.

This helped stop the rubbing, cutting in. Antique Tyres in Melbourne suggested this as you couldn't get 13inch wide whites radials at the time.

I've since moved to proper Radial wide whitewalls and they are al ot easier to keep nice.

kathawkephotos - November 16th, 2014 at 06:44 PM

thanks for the advice :) i think i'll just keep saving for the radials.