Board Logo

disc brake kits
grogy - April 23rd, 2009 at 12:03 PM

hi, i wonder does anyone know, what is the weight diff between all the disc kits [wide five] compared to the standard drum brakes weight.,,,,,,,,, thanks fro your thoughts. grogy

grogy - April 24th, 2009 at 09:29 PM

wow, i am surprised, does this mean no one knows the different weights of the wide five brake kits , and the weight of the standard drum set up.

MickH - April 24th, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Never thought to weigh them!!!!:lol:

vw54 - April 25th, 2009 at 06:36 AM

why would you worry about the weight except for drag racing

Sides - April 25th, 2009 at 08:59 AM

Well, unsprung weight will affect handling a bit too... but don't know that 1 or 2 kg change from standard would make too much of a difference.

I know the 944T brakes I have on weight A LOT more than standard brakes, and although handling's improved I think it's more cos of the widened track.

You've got me curious about weighing them now tho !!!

grogy - April 25th, 2009 at 02:06 PM

thanks for the replies, i used to be weight conscious even when i had a street/strip manx yrs ago, now i got a bug and a ghia, heavier again....... airkewld claim their heaviest kit is 48 lbs and say some kits are over 76 lbs per axle. i will eventually buy a kit for my ghia wide 5, but i like to buy something light. thanks for all the imput. ps i already spent too much money on the hp performance, so i want to be satisified i have a reaonably light set up. grogy

VWCOOL - April 26th, 2009 at 09:51 AM

This might assist:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=71154&page=1#pid664295 

grogy - April 26th, 2009 at 08:15 PM

thanks vw cool, it certainly looks like a good setup. 10kgs heavier than standard brake set up. shame its heavier, maybe a bit could be lost if it was slotted or drilled

GTMac - April 26th, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Where talking weight differences of brakes, what happens if the driver becomes a fat bastard over the course of the year and weighs an extra 20kg. Half tank, full tank, how many variables are involved? Just wondering how significant it is with small weight distributed all round the car? Add the the extra Kg's for my Suby transplant and I can understand changing car handling.

grogy - April 27th, 2009 at 09:37 PM

u got me wonderin gtmac, wot happens if i get fat? i might give up eatin now, save money to spend on more hp

VWCOOL - April 28th, 2009 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GTMac
Where talking weight differences of brakes, what happens if the driver becomes a fat bastard over the course of the year and weighs an extra 20kg. Half tank, full tank, how many variables are involved? Just wondering how significant it is with small weight distributed all round the car? Add the the extra Kg's for my Suby transplant and I can understand changing car handling.

mate I might share with you the corner weighs between my car and another bloke who is *umm* not as nimble as I am :lol: